webOS Nation Forums >  webOS Devices >  HP Veer > veer stuck on battery with '?' screen.
veer stuck on battery with '?' screen.

Old 08/15/2011, 01:48 AM   #1 (permalink)

my veer was at about 70 percent batt, i placed it on the touchstone and realized it wasnt charging so i restarted it. unfortunately it got stuck on a blank battery screen with a question mark in it. i tried connecting it to the computer and nothing, i held the power button and flicked the ringer a few times and nothing. also tried the keyboard button combinations but nothing. I gave up and am letting it just sit there hoping it runs out of juice and I can just put it to charge and it'll start up.

This is really annoying, what if I was out in the middle of the day and my veer decided to **** on me like it just did?

someone please help!
littlekidlover_1938 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 05:29 AM   #2 (permalink)

Same problem here...
Anyone with an idea?

sabro
sabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 05:33 AM   #3 (permalink)

you must have run the battery to zero. It will stay at that picture until it charges enough to start. No worries.
Cantaffordit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 05:43 AM   #4 (permalink)

Okay, got it... Its like mư pre: Just take out the battery ;-) But it is not as easy as on the pre, but it is done in two minutes :-)

sabro
sabro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 09:52 PM   #5 (permalink)

I had the exact same problem happen to me. I talked to the HP/Palm Support and the first thing they told me was take out the battery. I was shocked they were so ignorant and didn't know that the Veer, their phone, didn't have a removable battery. They were unable to help and basically told me I had to send it in for a warranty covered repair and 5-7 business days after they receive it , I would get it back. That was BS in my opinion. I was not a happy with the customer support I received. Not at all. What a joke.

ANYWAY, I let the phone run itself out of power. The phone died about 6 hours later and then I hooked up the charger and it restarted itself and the problem was fixed.

What caused the issue is a mystery. I can't believe HP/Palm didn't have a clue how fix this, nor did they suggest letting it run out of power and then hook it up to the charger. Sheesh.
jmkoffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/16/2011, 10:52 PM   #6 (permalink)

had this happen to me too when i first got my veer and put it on the touchstone. had no choice but to let the battery drain down and recharge it afterwards. ever since, i havent put it back on the touchstone but what a pain in the *** not being able to remove the battery. good thing it onl happened once.
c_legaspi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 05:13 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've had the same problem. When starting my phone, it displayed the blank white battery symbol with the question mark inside of it. This thread has encouraged me. My phone, it seems, has just died, and I'm giving it a few minutes before plugging it into the charger with my fingers tightly crossed.

That being said, I have a theory as to the cause of the issue. When I went to initially restart my phone, I was in an area of no service. I know that the radio works extra hard to search for a network in weak network areas, which drains the battery. Perhaps the hyper-driven radio and increased battery drainage at the time of my restart confused the phone into thinking it didn't have enough power to boot up. Did anyone else encounter this problem while in an area of little or no wireless service?
alexweidner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/20/2011, 05:20 PM   #8 (permalink)

UDATE: After the screen finally shut off, I plugged the phone in, and the same symbol is now being displayed! Did this happen to anyone else? Help!
Old 08/20/2011, 06:24 PM   #9 (permalink)

UPDATE x 2: It's booting now. It seems I plugged it in too early after the screen turned off. There was apparently still some juice in the phone, just not enough to activate the display. Problem solved. If it happens again, despite how much I love WebOS, and given the recent announcements, I'm going back to Android. Thanks everyone.
Old 08/20/2011, 10:28 PM   #10 (permalink)

I haven't run into this yet, but now I know what to do when it's my turn
Old 08/28/2011, 08:30 PM   #11 (permalink)

This just happened to me. Same symptoms; had 80% battery, put it on Touchstone, didn't charge, restarted phone, stuck on battery ? symbol.

I'll let it die out...but my question to those who this has happened to; has it happened again?
jboucicaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 12:18 AM   #12 (permalink)

Phone is now dead, trying to charge. I left it charging for 10 minutes, then turned power on. It showed the HP logo for about a second and then died out. Hopefully an overnight charge will get it to work.
Old 08/29/2011, 12:40 AM   #13 (permalink)

Luckily I haven't had this problem and I pray It won't happen to my Veer. What I prevent from now is I never use TouchStone again since I found Charging using magnetic cable on Veer is very convenient. TouchStone already make my Pre- & Pre+ touch sensor died. Maybe this is a non-sense claim, but the heat from TouchStone should have effect on internal parts of the phone caused it damaged quicker. Using standard cable, even phone still charging and I use it for internet, the heat still lower compared with I charge it on TouchStone at idle position.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
The Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 04:33 AM   #14 (permalink)

So should I not use the Touchstone with the Veer? I ordered last week and should get it this week...but may not use it if this is a standard issue.
mrwillibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 04:56 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwillibe View Post
So should I not use the Touchstone with the Veer? I ordered last week and should get it this week...but may not use it if this is a standard issue.
I 'm curious about this since I ordered a TS myself too. I bought one of Ebay.
Maybe we need a special newer Touchstone for the Veer? I thought German Veer's came with a TS included in the package.

Any German Veer owners with the same issues around?

Last edited by Jozz; 08/29/2011 at 04:58 AM. Reason: More info added
Jozz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 05:13 AM   #16 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrwillibe View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jozz View Post
I 'm curious about this since I ordered a TS myself too. I bought one of Ebay.
Maybe we need a special newer Touchstone for the Veer? I thought German Veer's came with a TS included in the package.

Any German Veer owners with the same issues around?
I don't have enough proof to said TS is the culprit of Veer "?" problem. But for safety of your Veer, better use standard magnetic charger. IMO, same with TS anyway.. both using magnetic, so only need little effort to charge it. No need to pull or push something here.
Old 08/29/2011, 05:44 AM   #17 (permalink)

Hogwash. There's nothing wrong with charging the Veer on the TouchStone under normal circumstances. I've used the TS to charge both my Veers almost exclusively since first getting them at launch with no heat issues at all, or this battery issue.

That's not to say that the TouchStone is not involved in this bug, but this is no reason to quit using the TouchStone. The Veer was built to use the TS. It was designed with that use in mind. It is part of normal, expected use.
jbg7474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08/29/2011, 08:17 AM   #18 (permalink)

I haven't been able to get the phone back up. The furthest it got was HP boot logo then Battery?

I'm within 30 days of purchase, going to just exchange it.

I don't think it is a TS issue, but a battery issue. I should've noticed that I had ridiculous battery life going - Battery Monitor right before that said I was actually draining negative and that I had 9 days of expected battery life.

EDIT - I'm getting all dressed to go to the store and I put the phone on the Touchstone as a last-ditch effort - I get the Battery charging screen (the one with the bolt and the red line.

I don't know what to make of all of this. Like my original question stated, for those who this has happened to, does it happen again?

Last edited by jboucicaut; 08/29/2011 at 08:51 AM.
Old 08/29/2011, 11:16 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jboucicaut View Post
I haven't been able to get the phone back up. The furthest it got was HP boot logo then Battery?

I'm within 30 days of purchase, going to just exchange it.

I don't think it is a TS issue, but a battery issue. I should've noticed that I had ridiculous battery life going - Battery Monitor right before that said I was actually draining negative and that I had 9 days of expected battery life.

EDIT - I'm getting all dressed to go to the store and I put the phone on the Touchstone as a last-ditch effort - I get the Battery charging screen (the one with the bolt and the red line.

I don't know what to make of all of this. Like my original question stated, for those who this has happened to, does it happen again?
So why don't you start to use standard cable from now on. Just for testing... If the problem arise again, then surely TS not the culprit, and it is surely battery problem / error. If this problem never happen again since you use standard cable then we need further test for TS. Is it safe or not for Veer. Even theoritically TS is safe to use. But base on my personal experience it doesn't, especially because I live on country that have tropical climate. Heat issue on TS will be amplified by the climate temperature.
Old 08/29/2011, 12:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Actually, if we're trying to recreate the problem, we should do what we were doing before the problem occurred. So, I'll go Touchstone again, and if it happens again, then I'll eliminate that from the equation.

Tags
help booting, stuck, veer

Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0