Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes
  1.    #1  
    I have a (very) old Pre, and now a Touchpad. Unfortunately I am on Sprint so I will have to jump ship to get a WebOS phone. But, I figured I don't really need a big, epic, powerhouse. So maybe the Veer will do. I absolutely love how dinky it is in my hand and wanted to know if it is worth it.
    i like the veer but if you want to stay on sprint, i would consider a franken pre 2. otherwise get the veer or hold out a bit (dont know how long) and get the pre 3
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    I have a (very) old Pre, and now a Touchpad. Unfortunately I am on Sprint so I will have to jump ship to get a WebOS phone. But, I figured I don't really need a big, epic, powerhouse. So maybe the Veer will do. I absolutely love how dinky it is in my hand and wanted to know if it is worth it.
    I don't think the Veer is worth switching carriers. If anything just get a FrankenPre 2.
    Depends on what you value more. I had a Pre2 before I switched carriers for the Veer. The '2 was superior in most ways, at least on the spec sheet, but I loved the way the Veer felt in the hand and its superior hardware quality. It was worth the jump for me.
    Hardware wise, the Veer is a world of difference in improvement. It's small but it's not a bad phone like the Pixi is in comparison. The Veer has better specs all around compared to the original Pre and you'll probably find a better experience with a smaller screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I recently left sprint after 11 years myself. I got a veer off eBay and activate it off contract so I can get the pre3 when it comes out.

I don't regret my decision at all. The keyboard is better, webOS 2.x is heads and shoulders above 1.4.5. The build quality is great. Granted a do pay like $10 more a month but to me, its worth it for the latest in webOS.
    DonnyDuck88 likes this.
  7.    #7  
    Yeah, I figured the build quality plus newer WebOS was worth it. I don't know how much the Pre3 really appeals to me, the more I use my tablet....so....maybe a dinky phone is all I need...I am not comfortable with the frankenpre concept. Knowing me I'd break it in no time..

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    veer it is then.
    Global Posts
    66 Global Posts
    I'm tired of waiting for the Pre3, and I'm itching to make an incremental upgrade from my Pixi Plus to the Veer. I want a zippy webOS device that has Just Type and all the latest webOS has to offer. So I'm monitoring the Veer on eBay, and it appears it can be had for half the price of an unlocked GSM Pre 2. To the OP, as a longtime at&t customer, I'm not sure if the Veer is worth leaving Sprint. But the good news is that if a new webOS ever goes to Sprint, you can switch back sometime into the future. Until then, enjoy the Veer!
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnWLandfair View Post
    Yeah, I figured the build quality plus newer WebOS was worth it. I don't know how much the Pre3 really appeals to me, the more I use my tablet....so....maybe a dinky phone is all I need...I am not comfortable with the frankenpre concept. Knowing me I'd break it in no time..

we love our Veers, overall much better performance than the Pre. Getting a new phone on sprint would have cost us more than our ATT plan with the $10 per line smartphone tax. Ooh and ATT data has shown to be must faster than the sprint data.

unless you need a phone with a big screen, the veer is more tan capable. We already owned multiple touchstones and bought 2 more from vzw for under 5 a piece with free shipping, we also have Bluetooth in the cars, do this has removed the specialty port issue some folks have.

the speed of the veer over the pre, combined with webOS 2.x and small size kill the original pre. Over a month with the veers on art, carried the pre for the first couple weeks until sprint was shut off, more than happy with the veers, we could have returned them and gone back to sprint easily... We didn't.

as always YMMV

forgot to add with all the bs sprint has been puling with new phone activation and cdma carriers restricting phones, moving to gsm also helped me make the decision, I can now utilize truly unlocked phones.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I'm actually one of those who got those $50 Veers. Before I bought it, I wasn't even planning on getting one, saw 50 and was like oh what the heck, bought one to play with it then sell it off.

After getting it and using, I couldn't go back to my Pre Plus. This thing is so much better built and SO MUCH faster, even with no overclocking. The second gen Snapdragon on it pretty much toasts some of the larger phones out there. Even my friend who's a complete Android nut admits my phone is faster than his (he has a Desire on Gingerbread) and very smooth.

I'd suggest you find one and give it a try to see if it fits you.

But with that being said, I'll still get the Pre3 when it comes out, since it's still kind of small for my hands.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 08/05/2011 at 10:57 PM.
  12.    #12  
    Thanks for all your input. I think I'll take the plunge. Now if the just get TouchToShare activated....

I can't wait for TTS.... my wife thinks I carry the TP around the house a lot now, when I don't have to go get the Veer off the touchstone to see and reply to SMS its gonna be crazy.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I picked up my Sprint Pre the other day and couldn't believe how huge and clunky it felt in my hand. I have no regrets about moving over to AT&T and getting the Veer. In fact, I can't imagine having to go to something larger again!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I can't wait for TTS.... my wife thinks I carry the TP around the house a lot now, when I don't have to go get the Veer off the touchstone to see and reply to SMS its gonna be crazy.
    I'm not sure if the range of the Bluetooth will be long enough for that. My Bluetooth headsets always cut out buy the time I reach the kitchen, and I only live in a small apartment, the kitchen is like right outside my room.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I use my Sprint Pre in the mornings on wifi to read news and espn, etc. It is HUGE, and doesn't run nearly as smooth as the Veer.
    I just moved from the Sprint Pre..to the ATT Veer. Love it. I have a Xoom tablet and so I really just need a phone to say hello and text. The Veer is such an improvment.
  18.    #18  
    Got it! And love it! Its silly how small it is. I can't get over it!

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Prior to Veer, I had an iPhone 4. I thought I'll just try it, return it, and then go back to iPhone 4. Guest what? The more I use the Veer, the more I love it -- a lot of times I forget that the phone is with me. So far I haven't have the urge to go back to iPhone 4. Go webOS!!
    FischOderAal likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rperalta View Post
    Prior to Veer, I had an iPhone 4. I thought I'll just try it, return it, and then go back to iPhone 4. Guest what? The more I use the Veer, the more I love it -- a lot of times I forget that the phone is with me. So far I haven't have the urge to go back to iPhone 4. Go webOS!!
    I did the same thing.... From iphone 4 to Veer. Others think I am nuts. I prefer the Veer.
    FischOderAal likes this.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast