Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree21Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post

i prefer this and not pay to have the same "objection" to being part of the alpha testing process<--

p.s. :

i pay every price to have a good patch or hack just tested , but PAY to be a beta-tester is
    You seem to think that the donations requested are some kind of fee for service. They are not. They are voluntary, and they are donations to allow volunteers to do work for the community. You have no obligation implied or otherwise to donate. Let's try to keep on the topic.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You can donate now and use a stable release later... or you can wait until a stable release and donate then.

If you don't want to alpha-/beta-test, then just don't do it. If you burned your fingers, go back to stock kernel and wait. Not everybody is made for testing software and that's just fine. But If you already know that testing is not your profession, why don't you just keep out of it and wait until the testers are done??? This is
  3.    #63  
    Here is -db10
    https://www.box.net/shared/3nyfnjlindhktxonoihb

I have verified that toggling wifi works as well as the hotspot. It appears that the wifi toggling is very sensitive to config options.

This version is clocked at 1.0176GHz.
    Follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/warthogkernel

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Donations go towards further experimentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    You can donate now and use a stable release later... or you can wait until a stable release and donate then.

If you don't want to alpha-/beta-test, then just don't do it. If you burned your fingers, go back to stock kernel and wait. Not everybody is made for testing software and that's just fine. But If you already know that testing is not your profession, why don't you just keep out of it and wait until the testers are done??? This is
    I followed the donate now and wait for a stable release plan myself... Thank you to codecrumb and all his alpha-/beta- testers. Excited for the day there is a stable release in the feeds!
  5.    #65  
    runukraine, just to be clear, warthog will eventually get to a more stable state but it will never leave the testing feeds. However, any changes that Rod finds useful will be cherry picked to merge into Uber at his discretion and UK definitely will have a release in the stable feeds.

That said....

Try this -db10 build for the Veer instead. It should be the right speed now. uImage-veer-db10 - File Shared from Box.net

Experimental warthog kernels for webOS devices. Patches such as Muffle System Logging, Max Blocker etc.

Updated kernel from Preware feeds; Wi-Fi toggle still broken on my end. The only way for me to get it back is to go to Wi-Fi preferences, turn on (it doesn't connect to anything) and restart the Veer.

Upon restart, Wi-Fi is connected.

I set it to Warthog Default and tried toggling Wi-Fi. Same thing; so it is still doing it at the default CPU frequency.
    Same for me, warthog11 shows up the same flightmode/wifi-issue like warthog10... Only way to get wifi back is a restart...
    By the way: Codecrumb, do you know why my veer suddenly doesnt scale down? Govnah shows everytime 806Mhz with the original Kernel, or 1017Mhz with your Warthog... Its in the "OnDemandctl"-Governor....

Sabro
  8.    #68  
    sabro, jboucicaut Are you guys on 2.1.2 or 2.1.1?

I just pushed -12 which backs out some config options. Let me know if that helps. The wifi piece seems to be very tempermental.

sabro, no change to scaling so it should however, if your veer is working hard, its not unusual to see it pegged for a while.

I'm on 2.1.2 (AT&T Veer)
    I am on 2.1.1...
    Hm, but it isnt working hard. open an app takes up to 7-10seconds..
    My veer slows down, but it isnt warthog-kernelīs fault. It is the same with the original kernel... i had this behavior a few days ago.. i take my veer to the doc and everything seems to be fine.. but today it was getting slow again... And i noticed on govnah that there is no more scaling between 122Mhz and 806Mhz (original kernel) like before..
    Last edited by sabro; 08/08/2011 at 06:25 PM.
  11.    #71  
    Try 2.1.2-12 now. See if that helps.

Yeah Dude, Flightmode off and Wifi works now! Great Job, Codecrumb!!
    But my veer is still everytime on 1.0176Ghz... No downscale to 122Mhz... Could it be that the OnDemandctl doesīnt work? When i try "Powersafe" it will scale down to 122..
    But Wifi-Issues are gone, congrats!!

Sabro
    Upgrading to -12 worked. I am now able to toggle Wi-Fi on/off.
  14.    #74  
    Okay, good to know.

So a little more background to what the problem is:

I usually try to turn off all the unnecessary options that I can find from the stock Palm shipped kernel. This usually results in a kernel image several 100k smaller. However, Palm apparently relies on some debug code to be turned on to properly work so it's been a lot of trial and error. I've probably built 50 kernels up to now to try to triage.

What's making things stranger than usually is that the wifi module seems to be particularly sensitive to combinations without a good discernable pattern. Things that 1ghz fail at 1.2ghz. So it's particularly frustrating to experiment only have things fail when you think you have established a baseline.

That said, 1GHz is pretty much the max available at the stock voltage. So, plus side is that you are getting a speed boost for essentially free. Minus is that to go any faster, you are going to have to sacrifice some battery life.

I have successfully gotten the phone up to 1.6GHz but wifi toggle fails long before that (at around 1.2GHz)

At 1.6GHz, SunSpider comes in at a pretty amazing 4300ms considering that the stock Veer is at about 8000ms. However, it also heats up pretty quickly. So I could continue the experimentation but I think it is going to be diminishing returns at this point.

Right now I'm thinking of capping things at 1.2 as that's the last freq so far that I have been able to get working wifi.

What do you think?

bcoale, GodShapedHole and Jozz like this.
    Using -12 on AT&T 2.1.2 and all is going well, including Wi-Fi. 1.2 gHz would be awesome, but that is just my two cents.

Appreciate all the work you have done on this!
    Using -12 now on my Veer (2.1.2) and confirm you fixed the issues with Mobile Hotspot not working. Works great now. Running at 1ghz. Thanks so much!
    Sorry to bring this thread into noob territory, but this will be my first time running a custom kernel on a webOS device.

<Bunch of stuff deleted>

EDIT: My first time working with testing feeds, sorry. I figured it out. Running at 1GHz! Donation sent, codecrumb! Wish it could be more.

I can confirm that WiFi toggle and FreeTether both work fine with -12, and PDK apps Angry Birds and Stardust also run without a problem. AT&T Veer, 2.1.2.

I did receive a TMC error shortly after I began running this kernel. I had five cards open (Facebook, Carbon, Messaging, Email, Browser) and was trying to navigate a webpage (http://donnkohstudio.com/12400/portfolio) when it happened.

The log file Lumberjack generated was full of memory-low warnings, as might be expected. The file is long but if it will be helpful I can post/email it.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 08/10/2011 at 04:13 AM.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    donation sent... lets pump this ba$tard to 1.2Ghz.
    Quote Originally Posted by elopez View Post
    donation sent... lets pump this ba$tard to 1.2Ghz.

ahahahahhaha
    - HP Veer --
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    Sorry for the noob question but how do I add the testing feed to preware to OC? I tried adding Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/armv7/
    Index of /feeds/webos-internals/testing/all/
    Index of /feeds/webos-kernels/testing/2.1.2/
    but I still get nothing in preware
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast