Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
    suspect hard-work going into getting webos 2.2 code base readied as that's what it is likely holding up the pre3. Once that's out they will backport to the veer and ?pre2? (all speculation of course)

i suspect we are close. hence the post on HP cleaning up which versions are supported on which phones.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlamb View Post
    Now that I have a TouchPad I would love to go back to my Veer, but the bugs are just too irritating on the Veer for me to use as a day to day phone (I switched back to my Windows Phone 7). So.... PLEASE HP, issue the OTA update!
    Exactly the same situation I'm in. I've had to start using a WP7 phone for work, and I love how responsive and bug-free it is. I'm loathed to go back to my Veer now, cos I pretty sure I'm going to find it buggy and unresponsive. And I don't want to feel like that about WebOS.

Please HP. Cut us Veer owners some slack.
    Global Posts
    848 Global Posts
    Sales are minimal and Veer will never be their priority, as you can conclude from lack of OTA updates since its launch. I knew since day one that buying the Veer would be like buying the Pixi or Pre today which means "it is what it is".

Maybe once Pre3 gets rolling we will see some updates, I trully hope.
    But I have a feeling that it will only introduce new features (touch to share) and not fix the bugs at all. I hope I am wrong.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post
    Sales are minimal and Veer will never be their priority, as you can conclude from lack of OTA updates since its launch. I knew since day one that buying the Veer would be like buying the Pixi or Pre today which means "it is what it is".

But I have a feeling that it will only introduce new features (touch to share) and not fix the bugs at all. I hope I am wrong.
    I hope you are wrong! Having a product on the market with the bugs of the Veer does not inspire confidence in the manufacture (HP) and I feel drags the WebOS line down from a customer perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by vladi View Post

I wouldn't go that far, I think the issue lies in the new goal of having 2.2 with Enyo support. I say this is a new goal because previously it was the new devices will have Enyo at some time. Only recently was it 2.2 will contain enyo support when the Pre3 launches.

So my thought is they are working on fully baking enyo into 2.2, which has delayed the update for the Veer.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    do you think that with the Pre3 shipping (apparently anyway, in Europe) that the Veer may get bumped to a new release? I only assumed that the pre3 would have a newer version of the O.S.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Yeah, I would be very dissapointed if that were the case and we were left with a bigger Veer. What happened to the HP reach and scale?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    do you think that with the Pre3 shipping (apparently anyway, in Europe) that the Veer may get bumped to a new release? I only assumed that the pre3 would have a newer version of the O.S.
    I'm just going off of what HP has been saying about Enyo support in 2.2 that will launch with the Pre3. I thought it was kinda a small bump 2.1.2 to 2.2 to include Enyo and TTS, but if that's the case, HP has been putting in work behind the scenes.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Well... It looks like we may have our answer....
    What answer is that? Have not yet heard any mention of shuttering webOS software devision.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Why would HP invest any time or money is a product that they are not going to make any longer? With the split, the HP part of the company would not be dealing with retail customers any longer so a handful of angry end users wont have much negitive press for the new service business. Unless someone buys WebOS or licenses it, there is not much in it for HP to continue working on the product.
    yeah, i wont be holding my breath. if it comes it comes.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I think I will just sell my Veer (Anyone want one?) and move on, not worth the aggravation of "coming weeks/months"
    I just got an OTA update on my Veer. It says 2.1.2, which is what I had before ??
    Quote Originally Posted by thejaredhuang View Post
    I just got an OTA update on my Veer. It says 2.1.2, which is what I had before ??
    In the US, we've had 2.1.2 since the beginning.
    Yes I know... I'm on AT&T. I woke up this morning and my phone had a message saying there was an update.
    Well according to the front page, they should still be updating the Veer.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomlamb View Post
    I think I will just sell my Veer (Anyone want one?) and move on, not worth the aggravation of "coming weeks/months"
    Right.

Move on to Android, where you're never going to see more than bugfix updates like 2.2.0.15.6.178 if you bought your phone at 2.2 - unless you bought a flagship model, in which case you might get one update to 2.3 if you bought it at 2.2.

Or move on to iOS, where you'll get ONE software update, usually after one year but possibly after more (14 months and counting now), and where that software update is essentially designed to make your phone unusably slow so you go and buy the new model instead of keeping your old one.

At least on those platforms, you'll be kept entirely in the dark - better than being told "in the coming months", right?

Sell your Veer if you believe that HP isn't going to develop webOS any further and that they won't update existing devices - that would be completely rational as we simply don't know whether they will update them, and if they do, what those updates will be like.

But don't start that "in the coming months is wearing me down" schtick. That particular grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence, no matter where you want to look.
    Should I add : when you update ios, you're not sure to be able to jailbreak your phone again, and w/o jailbreak the iphone suck.

I didn't own an android phone, but I know that they seldom updated their os. And when it comes to a major update (ie: Android 2 to 3), you have to buy a new device to get it.

Not to mention bugs and sluggishness if you don't own a flagship android phone, and frequent reboot on iphone.

Just to say, it only depends on the os and apps you like. Phones have all their flaws whatever brand you chose.

They sell PROTOTYPES, not final products! This is a society of betatester consumers, I tell ya.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Right.

But don't start that "in the coming months is wearing me down" schtick. That particular grass isn't any greener on the other side of the fence, no matter where you want to look.
    I didn't say the grass was greener, but that is what I was told when I called and asked when the TTS and bugfix updates were coming. I like the Veer (took back my TP) and would still like it as a phone if they would just address some of the bugs that have been clearly identified. I now tend to use a Windows phone 7 as my day to day as it is just more reliable, but, I do not like it's size and weight (LG Quantum).

I would have thought HP would update the Veer prior to the Touchpad hitting the street as that was the only phone capable of fully interfacing with the tablet (TTS). I would have thought HP would have updated the Veer for bug fixes (like they did for the Touchpad) within a month or two of release just to increase customer satisfaction.

I agree that all phones have their flaws, it just depends if the device has flaws that make get to the user.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast