Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree18Likes
  1.    #1  
    Just to give my impressions on the Veer after a month or so of use. I know there are a lot of people all around the web that have already talked in good about it, but there are also so many cheap reviews from angry people that I thought I had to give some review too.

Why the Veer is so deprecated ? This is a relatively cheap phone, with a lot to give and a very good Os too handle tasks. The battery is fair, better than my former iPhone 3GS. The bugs are as numerous as in other very good phones, though it seems to depend according to people. The app cat does not provide as much apps as in other stores, but there is an app for almost everything at least, and you can ask to developers to create a webos version of their app as it is simple to port from another os. And finally, the form factor is only a matter of taste, so there no reason to judge just by this fact.

So why ? Maybe because of the hype, which is plainly focused on large screened and swiss army knifed phones.

The facts are: the Veer has not a big screen, and the Veer is not (yet ?) a swiss army knife.

What it does however, it does it well.

As a matter of fact I have an app for every use: Atom Feeds, Twitter, ReaditLater, Weather, Movies, Translation, Dictionnary (slang too), Wikipedia, Yellow Pages, Tethering, Units converter, Road radars, Maps, Music, Videos, Youtube and so on. I don't need much more, tough I'd like to see new apps coming to the store more often.

And as far as the stock apps are concerned, I find them far better than the Iphones one... though I don't know for iOS 5. Homebrew are also a good change when you come from apple ^^

With my Veer, I can stand 2 days of small use (let's say 2 full hours a day) without charging, with Apps running in the background (mails, twitt, Gtalk...). That's more than enough for me, and when I need to charge I just put it (as simply as that, really) on the charging stone, and voilà

Bugs you say ? Alright, sometimes it sluggish, nothing really annoying though. And I must say that Apps always open. On iPhone (I have only that to compare), some apps wouldn't launch sometimes, and I had to respring. The thing to do when the os is slow, is to push the standby button once to stop the screen and a second time to wake up the phone. After that everything work as before ! It's question of 5sec max, on the iPhone it was a question of minute ! Other than that I didn't notice any particular bug. Word !

The form factor now. Tiny yes. Small screen, yes. Legibility: ok, really sharp actually. The thing that strikes me is that it is exactly the good size to put it in the little pocket of my jeans. You know, the pocket just above your right one ? I think HP knows, and they did it on purpose. Shirt pocket is also a good place for the Veer. Oh, and the keyboard is good too. Still, I don't find it as pleasant as the virtual keyboard of the Iphone, but it's a good compromise though.

Two more things. Important ones since we're talking about a phone here:

- The sound, when you are talking on the phone, is sharper than on other phones I tried. Not the best though. People are also earing you better.

- The network reception is better than on the 3GS, don't know for other versions. I live in a place where there are no GSM relay, only the ghost of GSM waves reflecting on the Van Allen radiation belt. So I'm lucky when network is good. Though, the Veer handles the reception very well and I now have GSM network in my house. No need to go outside anymore

So these are the reason why I love the Veer and that I recommend it to others who want a small phone. HP devs are working hard to improve WebOS and this is, in my opinion, the only thing that need to be improved. The more OS updates there will be, the more the Veer will be pleasant to use, and the more power it will supply to your everyday use.

I'm confident that future versions will bring more functionality along with better battery life and lesser bugs, if any.

Also, Devs should really support webos and port their apps to HP's platform, since it would boost sales and HP's motivation. And then HP's phone will be competitive.

3rd party apps already here are really well built, it means that it's possible if not easy as others suggest. So people should understand that WebOS is an important platform to develop on, and that Veer users are already mostly satisfied with what it delivers. HP too should be more confident with their products.

It may be a niche market right now, but if people spread the word and work on behalf of webos, it may finally enter into the competition.

What do you think ?
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Lol @ gfn
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Somehow I get the idea this is in response to Veer trolls frequenting the forum.
    It's somewhat apologetic and defensive in tone.

Don't let them drag you down to their level. They will beat you with experience and their bigger phone.
    What they don't realize is...

The size of their phone is inversely proportional to the size of their gentleman's vegetable. We don't need large phones to stick in our pants.

Haters gonna hate. There's no point of putting up a fight. Just saying.
    Last edited by ToniCipriani; 07/27/2011 at 10:47 AM.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    LOVE my Veer...have no complaints (other than wanting TTS already!)
  5.    #5  
    Yeah, maybe I was dragged by those trolls...

But I really wanted to put things right somewhere. It may be defensive, but I think it's also objective. I could have talked about the downsides tough ...

Still, what is really disappointing is seeing such a good phone having such a small support from devs ! If some just tried to port their apps to webos, I'm sure it would push things up and other devs would come too ! I already asked to the Wunderlist devs to port their app to webos and they are in discussion about it. If more people ask to their fav apps devs, maybe it would push things up too ^^

I still don't understand why market is like this... some product just make the buzz, other don't, even if they deserve so. Not that I'd like it to be as popular as the iPhone for some reasons, but still, Veer and particularly WebOS could have so much more people talking about them !
    VCI_Cell likes this.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I dig my Veer. Sure the latest Samsung android phones are cool, but they're HUGE...practically mini-tablets and I already have an iPad2 and a TouchPad. With a phone that HUGE you're relegated to carrying it in some dork hip-holster thing. Might as well get a fanny pack, some clamdiggers and a pocket protector while you're at it...oh and get a Sharpie and write "dork" across your forehead while you're at it.

Phones go in pockets.
    Veer will be even better when the 7 inch TP comes out. Already nice with the 10inch, but the 7incher will easily fit in almost all of my wife's purses.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I don't have a Veer, but love its potential to be a tablet companion. That's what is missing from HP's marketing message.....if you have a tablet, why do you need a huge phone? Its a great companion to the iPad2, but better yet, the Touchpad....if they would just enable the touch to share feature. I simply cannot understand why that has not yet been enabled, as it could help both Veer and TP sales, or at least make the combination more interesting.

Glad you are liking your Veer.
    Tatobest likes this.
    Only thing is, they cant send that message as it conflicts with their business model of offering multiple form factors and sizes.
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Only thing is, they cant send that message as it conflicts with their business model of offering multiple form factors and sizes.
    I agree with you that I wouldn't have expected them to send this message ... but the headlining TouchPad banner on YouTube for launch week had the slogan "IN A WORLD OF TABLETS, WHO NEEDS A HUGE PHONE?"

I seem to recall some noise on Twitter to that effect from @HP as well.

But yeah ... they're gonna put the kibosh on that right quick once the Pre3 launches.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I agree with you that I wouldn't have expected them to send this message ... but the headlining TouchPad banner on YouTube for launch week had the slogan "IN A WORLD OF TABLETS, WHO NEEDS A HUGE PHONE?"

But yeah ... they're gonna put the kibosh on that right quick once the Pre3 launches.
    They didn't mention the tablet part. Just saying everyone's phone's too big.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    i Love my Veer .

it's THE Phone
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    They didn't mention the tablet part. Just saying everyone's phone's too big.
    I disagree:

14. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    The Veer is a great phone. I'm still amazed when I pick up the Pre-, the size difference is just incredible. I wonder how I used that brick for 2 years.

But I have to agree the lack of apps is a downer.

As a developer having a small phone and a tablet make you think about your apps and how they are used a lot more. I never gave it much thought until now.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

Forgot about that. Like you said, not something they can run with long term without challenging their own market.

I still just want my 2.2 so when I am sitting down with my TP I don't have to get up to get the phone when I get a text.
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    The Veer is a great phone. I'm still amazed when I pick up the Pre-, the size difference is just incredible. I wonder how I used that brick for 2 years.

But I have to agree the lack of apps is a downer.

As a developer having a small phone and a tablet make you think about your apps and how they are used a lot more. I never gave it much thought until now.
    It definitely does make you think about various devices.
  17. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I still just want my 2.2 so when I am sitting down with my TP I don't have to get up to get the phone when I get a text.
    Jeez tell me about it. That was a good selling point, let's get that going so I can see my texts on the TP. It would be nice if it synced back to the phone as well so I don't have to double delete, but in time it might happen. (or should I say the coming months?)
  18.    #18  
    I don't know how it comes but I already have SMS pairing with my touchpad... Doesn't seem to sync though.

and fyi I'm still under webos 3.0 and 2.1
    ??? You should post a thread in the TP forums, see if anyone else can figure out how to do that. You are the first person that has ever said they got it to work.
  20.    #20  
    ??? You should post a thread in the TP forums, see if anyone else can figure out how to do that. You are the first person that has ever said they got it to work.
    I did answer to that in the sms pairing thread. Really don't know how the sender could have sent me the message if it is not an sms... Is there a trash folder somewhere for messages on tp?
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast