Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #1  
    Does anybody know of any patches that may be causing a problem with e-mail? I'm asking because I am new to preware. I bought a Veer off contract once I found out the Pre3 had been delayed and because my PrePlus was falling apart. It's been great up until about 4 days ago. The problem I am having is that when I touch the arrow to move to the next message, the page will flicker shortly and quickly about 3-4 times before stopping. Once it stops everything is fine. This doesn't affect performance but is pretty annoying. Anybody else have this issue? Or have any advice? Thanks
  2. #2  
    I don't think that is a patch problem.

    what sort of email is it? Exchange, iMap? Etc?
  3. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #3  
    it's squirrelly touchscreen syndrome...let me guess, it's hot and humid there?
  4. #4  
    I actually notice that too now that you say it, I don't really use those arrows (I like backswipe better lol). And I don't have much patches and absolutely nothing for E-mail.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

    It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

    Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  5. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #5  
    I use Yahoo email

    And yes, it's extremely hot and humid here!
  6. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    I actually notice that too now that you say it, I don't really use those arrows (I like backswipe better lol). And I don't have much patches and absolutely nothing for E-mail.
    I can't backswipe...
    How are you doing that without a patch?
  7. #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    I can't backswipe...
    How are you doing that without a patch?
    swipe back on the light bar... works with stock build. no patch
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  8. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #8  
    ok. Mine does that along with other strange touchscreen behavior when hot and humid. I had guessed they were related...I guess not!
  9. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You're of course right about the touchscreen controller on any Palm/HP device being exceptionally susceptible to humidity. That's the reason some people experience recurring phantom touches (and ultimately an unusable device).

    Return it if you can though. It will only get worse over time.
    I can return it still, but will the next one be any better?
    Seriously.
  10. #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You're of course right about the touchscreen controller on any Palm/HP device being exceptionally susceptible to humidity. That's the reason some people experience recurring phantom touches (and ultimately an unusable device).

    Return it if you can though. It will only get worse over time.
    Reminds me of the old Palm Vx digitizer drift problems actually... Moulded connectors
  11. Mize's Avatar
    Posts
    929 Posts
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    It had better be.
    Seriously.
    They can't expect you to just accept this. If the next one isn't any better, return it.
    You live in Florida?
    Ohio, but I just spent the week in Beijing and Seoul and it's hot and humid there and here in Ohio. It was okay for the first week.
  12. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by benleroux View Post
    swipe back on the light bar... works with stock build. no patch
    Not on mine it doesn't. Swipe back when viewing a message only takes me back to the inbox...
  13. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I can return it still, but will the next one be any better?
    Seriously.
    I can't. Bought on Ebay
  14. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    I can't. Bought on Ebay
    Wait...isn't there a 1 year warranty from HP? Would they honor it for something like this?
  15. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    PS: Are you seriously considering having your Veer replaced within warranty because the screen flickers when you go from one email to the next???

    I have four words for that:
    Original Pre Sprint Launch
    I have four words as well:
    I own a VEER

    And to answer your question, yes I would like to have it replaced. Why?
    Because it shouldn't be doing it. Simple as that.

    I don't own an Original Pre Sprint Launch. I own a HP Veer. I expect it to work!
  16. #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by mdelacoma View Post
    I have four words as well:
    I own a VEER

    And to answer your question, yes I would like to have it replaced. Why?
    Because it shouldn't be doing it. Simple as that.

    I don't own an Original Pre Sprint Launch. I own a HP Veer. I expect it to work!
    I think the point is that the replacement would do the same thing because it isn't a hardware issue.
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I have two Veers and both display the same behaviour.
    Wouldn't be surprised if it applied to all Veers.
    I don't think too many people use the arrows, or would be bothered by the visual stutter.
    I've never used the arrows until this thread. I can verify it does the same thing on my Veer with some (not all e-mails, but most). Not with the Wife so I can't test hers but I expect the same response.

    Seems to me that it may have something to do with html e-mails, it seems to filcker as it is resizing the e-mails in my case.

    I did get 1 e-mail to twitch a little on my original Pre just now, not as bad, but my guess would be that is due to the larger screen.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  18. gharkay's Avatar
    Posts
    226 Posts
    Global Posts
    245 Global Posts
    #18  
    My Pre 2 (still running 2.0.1 until I don't need Skype anymore) flickers twice when switching between e-mails using the arrows. My Pre Plus never did that running 1.4.5 or earlier, but I'm not sure about 2.1.0 because I never used the arrows after performing the MetaDoctor (I rarely use the arrows). I think it's definitely a software issue, though.
    Palm IIIxe => Handspring Visor Prism => Palm Treo 650 => Palm Treo 755p => Palm Pre Plus => Palm Pre 2 + TouchPad
  19. mdelacoma's Avatar
    Posts
    32 Posts
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I've never used the arrows until this thread. I can verify it does the same thing on my Veer with some (not all e-mails, but most). Not with the Wife so I can't test hers but I expect the same response.

    Seems to me that it may have something to do with html e-mails, it seems to filcker as it is resizing the e-mails in my case.

    I did get 1 e-mail to twitch a little on my original Pre just now, not as bad, but my guess would be that is due to the larger screen.
    All I've ever used is the arrows...haha. Kinda funny to me. So what do you guys do? Swipe to go back to the inbox every time you want to open an unread message? I always figured the arrows simplified the process.
  20. #20  
    On my Pre I had the delete from notification, so if it was junk it just got deleted.

    Then I would go into my e-mail box and check the subject, if it's not important it stays there, more garbage (say I got multiple e-mails over night) swipe to delete. Read the ones that need to be opened then usually delete, everything else stays in the in box.

    I don't get a huge amount of e-mails to the point where I ever had enough to read to need to do that. Or if I did I wouldn't be reading them in order (skipping bill pay notifications and what not). If I read an e-mail and was keeping it, I would back gesture to get back to the list to find the next e-mail I needed to open.

    Some of my habits may have come from how ungodly slow the mail was to open each one on the Sprint Pre (combination of slow 3G and low ram I would say). I used to sync my entire in box too, which I might go back to considering how well the Veer and ATT handle my e-mail.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...

Posting Permissions