Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Just spent a week in China and RoK (S. Korea) and I have a few serious gripes with the Veer...

1. You cannot tell backup not to run when roaming. You have to either disable all data or disable and delete your backups. Forget to do this and you either don't get you email or you pay international data rates for a daily backups. AT&T must love this feature. You should be able to temporarily disable backups or specify wifi only for backups.

2. The touchscreen regularly gets squirrely...particularly after the Veer has been in you pocket in hot humid weather.

3. Freetether hard-locks the phone periodically, requiring a hard reset.

4. It really needs a virtual Kb for sms messages.

5. Battery life is fair to poor. In areas with a very weak "H+" data signal, the Veer will drain its battery very quickly rather than switch to 3G or Edge. You cannot force it to 3G or Edge either so the best way to get longer battery life is to manually turn data on and off as needed. Crazy.

on the plus side the phone has great call quality and the best noise cancelling i've ever had when talking to my wife on a crowded plane during boarding with all the loud announcement - provided the slider is open.

I really want to keep the Veer or some solid webOS phone, but I have a couple more weeks to switch and considering Android (boo hiss) at this point.

Are there fixes for any of these issues? Thanks.
    You can turn off data roaming in the preferences in the Phone app. Not sure that fixes your issue, though.

Possibly Mode Switcher might be of some help. I believe it can do things like turn off data at a certain time. But I've never used it, so not sure of its capabilities.
    Freetether doesn't work incredibly well with the Veer. I've had (and others too) trouble turning it off. But I've had some success with turning wifi on manually after shutting down freetether. That seems to fix it for me.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    disabling data roaming isn't an option as I need email.
    more concerning is the squirrelly touchscreen. At times it's unusable for 5 minutes at a time which is unacceptable.
    Hi

Depending on where you are, and what local providers have to offer, you could buy a local mobile hotspot & use that as a data connection for your phone.

I did this in Canada with my Verizon Pre... but it seems it DID automatically shut down data services by itself (they probably had enough of customers beng mad at them for data roaming charges for backup, email, etc).

In Canada I bought a little hotspot device from Wind Mobile (? name?), and it worked great. They have a month-by month arrangement, no local adress requirement, etc, etc, etc.

russ
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    disabling data roaming isn't an option as I need email.
    more concerning is the squirrelly touchscreen. At times it's unusable for 5 minutes at a time which is unacceptable.
    No fix for squirrelly Touchscreen.. It happens here in the states with my pre2 in the Hot Humid summer we're having ...

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Mode switcher will let you turn 3G off and go with 2G and Edge. I have two app buttons to turn 3G off and back on.

In my backup app, it lets me turn it off (has an On-Off switch at the top). Does that not turn the backups off? Sorry, I don't have any suggestions for the others.
    Just spent a week in China and RoK (S. Korea) and I have a few serious gripes with the Veer...

1. You cannot tell backup not to run when roaming. You have to either disable all data or disable and delete your backups. Forget to do this and you either don't get you email or you pay international data rates for a daily backups. AT&T must love this feature. You should be able to temporarily disable backups or specify wifi only for backups.

2. The touchscreen regularly gets squirrely...particularly after the Veer has been in you pocket in hot humid weather.

3. Freetether hard-locks the phone periodically, requiring a hard reset.

4. It really needs a virtual Kb for sms messages.

5. Battery life is fair to poor. In areas with a very weak "H+" data signal, the Veer will drain its battery very quickly rather than switch to 3G or Edge. You cannot force it to 3G or Edge either so the best way to get longer battery life is to manually turn data on and off as needed. Crazy.

on the plus side the phone has great call quality and the best noise cancelling i've ever had when talking to my wife on a crowded plane during boarding with all the loud announcement - provided the slider is open.

I really want to keep the Veer or some solid webOS phone, but I have a couple more weeks to switch and considering Android (boo hiss) at this point.

Are there fixes for any of these issues? Thanks.
    Some of your complaints are warranted, some are unreasonable.

1. This sucks I know. You have some options though.

a)turning off backups entirely during your trip. Not ideal if you lose your phone tho.

b) Install the Advanced device menu from Sconix. Swipe down to quickly enable data, check emails, and then disable again.

2. Unfortunately heat and touchscreens dont mix. This is not a Veer issue, but a "all smartphones" issue. Not fair to diss the Veer on this.

3. This is a homebrew app. Not fair to diss the Veer on a feature it wasnt guaranteed to come with. Thats like saying "Man all Corvettes suck because I added Nitrus to it and the engine blew up. Totally not my fault, its Chevys fault." Think that people who root their Android devices dont have tons of issues? Think again.

4. I really dont know how useful a virtual keyboard would be on such a tiny screen to be honest. I could see it being more problem them help. It would take up 75% of the screen just to be useful!.

5. I believe there is a code to go in and disable H+.

In the phone dialer app, type ##3836#, and then hit "call".

Change the setting to "Hybrid Rev 0"

This will put the phone on 2G mode and save you tons of battery.

If you dont feel like doing this, Quick System Tasks is a homebrew app in Preware that will do this too:

Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Turning off backups deletes your backups. No option to keep one but temporarily stop backups.

My ipod touch does not have touchscreen issues like my now 2 Veers (exchanged today) so it's not an all touchscreens issue.

I'm leaning Atrix now...when does Pre3 come out and will att have it?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    did you had wifi on. This seems also to be a big battery drainer...
    You clearly dont care to solve this, I can tell you want an Android phone and are just looking for excuses, because you didnt even respond to or try my solutions.
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

a)turning off backups entirely during your trip. Not ideal if you lose your phone tho.

b) Install the Advanced device menu from Sconix. Swipe down to quickly enable data, check emails, and then disable again.

2. Unfortunately heat and touchscreens dont mix. This is not a Veer issue, but a "all smartphones" issue. Not fair to diss the Veer on this.

3. This is a homebrew app. Not fair to diss the Veer on a feature it wasnt guaranteed to come with. Thats like saying "Man all Corvettes suck because I added Nitrus to it and the engine blew up. Totally not my fault, its Chevys fault." Think that people who root their Android devices dont have tons of issues? Think again.

4. I really dont know how useful a virtual keyboard would be on such a tiny screen to be honest. I could see it being more problem them help. It would take up 75% of the screen just to be useful!.

If you dont feel like doing this, Quick System Tasks is a homebrew app in Preware that will do this too:

#5 isn't for GSM phones.
    In case you didn't notice the 3836 stands for EVDO.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    what a load! I went to att on Sunday to swap it out and you think i'd do this is i wanted something else? I will respond to you as required, k?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post

Turning off backups means you have no backup at all. None. Not a great solution. HP should allow backup over wifi only or suspend backups.

Does this work on Veer without dorking it? Many things don't. I will try it but if it dorks my phone it will suck.

This simply isn't true. I carried my wife's iPhone in my right pocket all afternoon to test. I speculate that the small size of the Veer makes the heat density more of an issue. Either way, the iPhone's touchscreen doesn't get messed up by carrying in my front pocket and Veer's does.

Fine. My Nokia E72 has better software and Veer needs better software to be competitive. Not a slam on the Veer, but on its App selection.

I don't think SMS requires me to see more than 25% of the screen to make a quick, non-obvious response.

Do you actually have a Veer or are you a Pre/Preplus owner evangelizing? Veer can't run many things that the others can.
    Last edited by Mize; 07/24/2011 at 09:49 PM.
    Turning off backups means you have no backup at all. None. Not a great solution. HP should allow backup over wifi only or suspend backups.

Does this work on Veer without dorking it? Many things don't. I will try it but if it dorks my phone it will suck.

This simply isn't true. I carried my wife's iPhone in my right pocket all afternoon to test. I speculate that the small size of the Veer makes the heat density more of an issue. Either way, the iPhone's touchscreen doesn't get messed up by carrying in my front pocket and Veer's does.

[quote[3. This is a homebrew app. Not fair to diss the Veer on a feature it wasnt guaranteed to come with. Thats like saying "Man all Corvettes suck because I added Nitrus to it and the engine blew up. Totally not my fault, its Chevys fault." Think that people who root their Android devices dont have tons of issues? Think again.
    Fine. My Nokia E72 has better software and Veer needs better software to be competitive. Not a slam on the Veer, but on its App selection.

I don't think SMS requires me to see more than 25% of the screen to make a quick, non-obvious response.

Do you actually have a Veer or are you a Pre/Preplus owner evangelizing? Veer can't run many things that the others can.[/QUOTE]
    He does have a Veer. Except it's not unlocked yet.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    did you replace your veer with an android phone?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    did you replace your veer with an android phone?
    No. I hope not to as they are HUGE. I have an ipad2 and an HP Touchpad. I dont need a giant phone. The appeal of the Veer is webOS and size, but the touchscreen issues make front-pocket carry a problem in the summer.

I'm on Veer #2 in an attempt to make it work because I'm a webOS ******. That's the irony of being accused of wanting Android.
    don't worry about 'acusations' let's just find solutions to your issues. Have you checked our Mode Switcher or Quick System Tasks yet?
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    No. Need to install preware on Veer #2 first. Veer #1 require the doctor so I will try it tomorrow.

Would a zagg screen protector help the touchscreen issues?

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    I don't use a screen guard on my gorilla glass phones, but I clean them with Wilde and put carnuba wax on them...

when gorilla glass gets wet or extra dirty it doesn't respond well. And I keep my phone in my shirt pocket.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast