Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I find a shirt pocket works much better but I often where tshirts to the office (I own my company so I can). What is Wilde?

Also, do you have a Veer & have you experienced the squirrelly touchscreen?

Thanks for your help cantafford.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Original Palm Pilot+modem > Kyocera QCP 6035 > Kyocera 7135 > Treo 650 > HTC TyTN (ugh) > Palm Centro > Nokia E75 > Nokia E72 + iPad2 > HP Veer + TouchPad + UK Pre3 + AT&T Pre3 > iPad2 + ATT Pre3 + Nokia N9 > Galaxy S3 > Pre3 > Nexus 4 > Blackberry Q10 + Galaxy Note 8.0
    currently I use a Pre2. I played with a Veer for a while, and I found the screen to respond the same as the veer. I like them both but I am on verizon.

I've definitely seen gorilla glass phones (including iphones) get a little wacky. I try to keep it cool just because I don't want the cpu to melt a hole in the case.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    If you dont feel like doing this, Quick System Tasks is a homebrew app in Preware that will do this too:

Bummer. This thing says it is not tested on 2.x!
    Does it work on Veer with no problems?
    I would suggest using sconix top bar patches. I am using the system menu and mode switcher top bar patches with no problems.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    I will try sconix...that screenshot of QST from rmausser looks big for a Veer
    One of the thing I like about sconix is that you can fully customize the custom menu, showing and hiding what options you need. So I just have network/bluetooth/and a quick link to turn on/off wifi, and the battery info (the only one you can't hide, as it is what gets you in and out of viewing everything if you need to).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Do you use any of the other sconix top menu patches?
    I use the mode switcher one, mode switcher may help with some of your needs as well. I have been lazy and haven't setup my modes on the Veer. I used mode switcher and the top bar patch at least 5 days a week on the Pre, switch the mode for when I get to work (turning off BT/WiFi, changing my screen setting), then when I walk out of work using the top bar menu to easily switch to my "car" mode turning on BT and launching Dr. Podder.

I used the today menu patch on my Pre but haven't installed it on the Veer. Never used it as much as I thought I would and with the agenda on exhibition mode, if I need to see my calendar I can use agenda (I also keep my calendar icon in the launch bar.
    So I just have network/bluetooth/and a quick link to turn on/off wifi, and the battery info
    How come I have all these options and I'm not using any patch for this ?

I'm on a german veer, so webos 2.0.1 I think.
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    How come I have all these options and I'm not using any patch for this ?

I'm on a german veer, so webos 2.0.1 I think.
    With this patch, it gives you the option to hide or show 9 items plus a quick task item (for phones with an LED flash this includes controlling the flash as a flashlight). The quick task item is a quick toggle vs the factory format where you have to click the item then it drops down for on off.

This patch also adds the function so that the items you choose to have in the menu will select the first item when holding down orange/grey so you don't have to hit the item then select turn off/on.
  11. AZ8
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    I find a shirt pocket works much better but I often where tshirts to the office (I own my company so I can). What is Wilde?

Also, do you have a Veer & have you experienced the squirrelly touchscreen?

Thanks for your help cantafford.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I don't own a Veer, but deal with high temps for several long months and want to pass on my experience.

I live in the Phoenix metro area. I work outdoors at least 6 hours per day. The temps run 110+ degrees days on end. Inside my work vehicle, temps exceed 125 degrees. No AC in work vehicle.

Summers in Phoenix are brutal on electronic devices....but my Droid X touchscreen works flawlessly.

Hope you get things working!
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ8 View Post
    I don't own a Veer, but deal with high temps for several long months and want to pass on my experience.

I live in the Phoenix metro area. I work outdoors at least 6 hours per day. The temps run 110+ degrees days on end. Inside my work vehicle, temps exceed 125 degrees. No AC in work vehicle.

Summers in Phoenix are brutal on electronic devices....but my Droid X touchscreen works flawlessly.

Hope you get things working!
    :P

Droid X wouldn't be on my list for bands...maybe Atrix. Still, all the Android phones are uber-huge so you have to wear a dork-belt-holder. I prefer "invisible" phones like Veer whenever possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    2. The touchscreen regularly gets squirrely...particularly after the Veer has been in you pocket in hot humid weather.
    I've noticed this, and it's very weird when it happens. Cards leaping up and down and shivering, showing up in and out of focus, etc. It's odd when the touchscreen freaks out. I never thought to equate the problem with humidity.

3. Freetether hard-locks the phone periodically, requiring a hard reset.
    Haven't experienced this issue. Been using FT since shortly after Veer launch.

4. It really needs a virtual Kb for sms messages.
    I really don't see how this is possible on a screen that size. And I'm sure it would be an awful user experience.

5. Battery life is fair to poor. In areas with a very weak "H+" data signal, the Veer will drain its battery very quickly rather than switch to 3G or Edge. You cannot force it to 3G or Edge either so the best way to get longer battery life is to manually turn data on and off as needed. Crazy.
    Coming from an Evo with truly atrocious battery life, the Veer has been a breath of fresh air! It easily lasts 30% longer than the Evo ever did. But then, I'm not often in areas with poor coverage. I agree a 2G/3G toggle would make sense.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I've noticed this, and it's very weird when it happens. Cards leaping up and down and shivering, showing up in and out of focus, etc. It's odd when the touchscreen freaks out. I never thought to equate the problem with humidity.
    At this point I think it's actually a heat issue, rather than humidity.

As for a virtual kb I think it would work, but you could only have the kb and one line to view...as I said, just for SMS.
    I would be worried about "fat fingering" a vkb on the veer. The screen size (width) just isn't proper to make useable without either slowing down or fat fingering.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I use the mode switcher one, mode switcher may help with some of your needs as well. I have been lazy and haven't setup my modes on the Veer. I used mode switcher and the top bar patch at least 5 days a week on the Pre, switch the mode for when I get to work (turning off BT/WiFi, changing my screen setting), then when I walk out of work using the top bar menu to easily switch to my "car" mode turning on BT and launching Dr. Podder.

I used the today menu patch on my Pre but haven't installed it on the Veer. Never used it as much as I thought I would and with the agenda on exhibition mode, if I need to see my calendar I can use agenda (I also keep my calendar icon in the launch bar.
    I'm finding IMAP IDLE (push email) is unreliable since applying the top menu patches (mode switcher and the system menu).
    I've been having problems with IMAP since before I installed those patches...
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    LOL now my slide the padlock to unlock is gone!
    even after an erase all...guess that patch leaves stuff behind...webOS doctor time i guess
    After a reset, you have to open and close the slider once to get the lock back. I don't know why, but it's a confirmed bug.

Also for the squirrely touchscreen, have you tried carrying the Veer with the screen facing away from your body? I think what's happening is the screen turns on when you get a notification or when the slide moves a bit too much, and then your leg activates the unlock accidentally.

The capacitive touchscreen is VERY sensitive. Humid air is more conductive, and sweat is also very conductive. So it's very easy to accidentally unlock and then do things. All of which is solved by facing the screen out.
    Last edited by jbg7474; 07/26/2011 at 06:35 PM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    yes, the lock is back now...lol.
    I have already switched to screen out and use cargo pockets when available. Back here in heavy air conditioned USA the screen problem is far rarer. Thanks for the help.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast