1.    #1  
    We all know that magnets and computers don't mix.

But I just realized that now I have a magnet (on the Veer USB cord) that's very near all my techy stuff. I often keep it attached to my USB port (I have another one for charging.) so thus the magnetic end is near my backup drive and, in fact, my computer's hard drive. And, then, of course, the clip is near the SIM card on the phone. OH, and I have a flash drive on my desk as well.

Am I wrong to think this is a problem? Or must I carefully protect all those data storage devices?
    No problem at all. When I was younger and bored I treated the HDD of our computer with the strongest magnet I could find in our house (it was a pretty strong one) and it didn't do anything. I think you'd need a big industrial magnet for it to cause any havoc.
    Don't put it near any credit cards, whatever you do.
    Mythbusters did some testing of this topic using speaker magnets and other things - it was harder than expected to hurt anything.
    Quote Originally Posted by jhoff80 View Post
    Don't put it near any credit cards, whatever you do.
    And don't put any credit cards or hotel slide cards in the same pocket as your Veer or Pre! I found out the hard way...
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    Nothing detrimental for me yet, though I've been carrying around some staples in the same backpack pocket as my Veer charger and the results have occasionally been funny.
    webOS user since 20090606.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by not-yet-pre View Post
    And don't put any credit cards or hotel slide cards in the same pocket as your Veer or Pre! I found out the hard way...
    Why not?
    Originally Posted by not-yet-pre

Why not?
    I put my hotel slide key in my shirt pocket with my Pre Plus and it had to be recoded for me to get back into my hotel room. This happened twice so I am sure something in the phone is strong enough to kill the weak encoding on the hotel keys. I also carry a spare touchstone with me when I travel and put one of my credit cards in my coat pocket with the TS. The card stopped working requiring me to get a replacement.
    Palm m130 > Verizon Trēo 650 > Verizon Trēo 755p > Verizon Palm Prē Plus > TouchPad > Verizon Palm Prē 2
    ~ The Future's Just Not What it Used To Be ~
    I put my hotel slide key in my shirt pocket with my Pre Plus and it had to be recoded for me to get back into my hotel room. This happened twice so I am sure something in the phone is strong enough to kill the weak encoding on the hotel keys.
    It's the rear speaker / speakerphone magnet on most modern cellphones that you have to worry about. I'm not sure it'd be an issue with credit cards, but as mentioned, hotel keys don't generally have a very strong magnetic strip.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    Mythbusters did some testing of this topic using speaker magnets and other things - it was harder than expected to hurt anything.
    In the You-Tube broadcast I just looked at

the computer's hard disk was trashed by a (very strong) magnet.

I'm keeping that USB clip away from stuff!!
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    No problem at all. When I was younger and bored I treated the HDD of our computer with the strongest magnet I could find in our house (it was a pretty strong one) and it didn't do anything. I think you'd need a big industrial magnet for it to cause any havoc.
    the magnets that are already in the hard drive are probably stronger than most people have in their house.
    Quote Originally Posted by Unclevanya View Post
    i had an old tube tv that was about 38 inches. i set a 10 inch car speaker with a massive magnet on it right in front of the screen (on the floor) over night. Didn't think anything of it. The next day the darn screen was had a large warped blue tint at the bottom that was about a foot long for the rest of the time i had it. Man i was so glad when i bought a flat screen. Was never stupid enough to put a large magnet near a tv though.
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    Or beside cell-phones, it will wipe the card.

Edit: oops, that was already mentioned...
    W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    magnets wipe SIM cards? that's news to me and all the other people who have been putting their phone on a magnet (touchstone) SIM-first for years now.

As for hotel keycards: those things are demagnetized by as little as a robust fart, and keeping them in the same pocket as a radiation source such as a telephone, nevermind magnets or not, WILL wipe them in my experience.

Anything else including credit cards should be A-OK
    A credit card under just the right circumstances might be damaged by it, but that little sissy magnet could not possibly faze a computer.
    My wallet has a magnetic money clip on the back of it, hasn't wiped a card yet. I would say the magnet is at least as strong as what the Veer is using and definitely has more surface area.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...