Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Jonesey
  • 1 Post By Jonesey
  1.    #1  
    I was musing... Since HP says they planned the 17th as the true Touchpad launch, surely they'll want it as functionable as possible. Most BB's have a setup display with the Veer and TP side by side...
    wouldn't it make sense to have TTS working on the only available webOS phone with the TTS capabilities at launch? Another incentive for getting both... And a thanks to all those of us who switched carriers for the Veer, then ran and got the TP... And get no SMS or ITS.
    I hope HP has been thinking this way... After all, DeWitt carries a Veer!
    at least give us the ability to use sms on out TP!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    why yes it would make sense...now all they have to do is do it! The sooner the better!

btw 2.1.2 is what everyone's veers are on right?
    Quote Originally Posted by totoro80 View Post
    why yes it would make sense...now all they have to do is do it! The sooner the better!

btw 2.1.2 is what everyone's veers are on right?
    yup, apparently its 2.2 which allows the sms syncing...I'm not sure if that includes TTS
  5.    #5  
    Yes, 2.1.2

Wonder how many of us there are with both Veer and Touchpad?
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    well i personally have a Veer and TP so that's at least 1!
    Touchpads will be delivered monday... 2 Veers already... 2.2 will be awesome

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Yes please... bring the update and maybe then I'll be able to convince myself to give these things called tablets a try...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The fact that the Veer hasn't been updated for sms or TTS makes me lose any optimism I had. It is appalling to not have your 'flagship' phone be able to take advantage of one of your tablets biggest features.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    The fact that the Veer hasn't been updated for sms or TTS makes me lose any optimism I had. It is appalling to not have your 'flagship' phone be able to take advantage of one of your tablets biggest features.
    The Veer had no reason to have been released with TTS or SMS forwarding, since there was no device to link it to. And the Veer is not the flagship; all demos of this capability have been with a Pre3. Since HP is saying that they all along set the 17th as the big launch day, I'm willing to accept that they planned to push this update to the Veer on or shortly after that date.

I have till the 25th on my 30 day trial switch to AT&T... If nothing by then, it may be back to Sprint and my Pre-... Since it too can do call forwarding. Then till August 1st with the TP... If no fulfilled expectations by then, I don't know...
    lukehale likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    The Veer had no reason to have been released with TTS or SMS forwarding, since there was no device to link it to. And the Veer is not the flagship; all demos of this capability have been with a Pre3. Since HP is saying that they all along set the 17th as the big launch day, I'm willing to accept that they planned to push this update to the Veer on or shortly after that date.

I have till the 25th on my 30 day trial switch to AT&T... If nothing by then, it may be back to Sprint and my Pre-... Since it too can do call forwarding. Then till August 1st with the TP... If no fulfilled expectations by then, I don't know...
    I guess you missed the sarcasm... that's what the quotes are for.

But if anything they SHOULD have released the update alongside with the TouchPad. Right now they look like idiots for selling a feature that can't be used, since the Pre 3 is nowhere in near sight.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

12.    #12  
    I would agree, but I'm just saying that I'm willing to play along and believe that the 17th is their planned true launch. So, I'll hold on calling them idiots till monday.

one way or the other, I'll know in a week or so what OS environment I'm willing to permanently settle into. Even if it's only by default :-/
    Well we can at least hope. Sadly I think I might have to force myself to be the realist/pessimist in this situation. . .

I honestly don't think we will be getting the update for the Veer until the Pre³ comes out. Seeing how it is the phone being demoed for this functionality and is the true flagship phone, coupled with the fact that the Veer has not seemed to fly off shelves and has had a mostly negative response from most people, I honestly don't expect too much yet. I hope the Veer, like the Touchpad gets some much needed love from user reviews too. Notice most professional reviewers were basically just as negative about the few "shortcomings" of the Veer as the Touchpad.

Now, having just spewed out all those unhappy thoughts, the optimist side in me has hope that what the OP said is true. Surely that makes sense? If all this "soft launch/hard launch" stuff coming out of HP is true, which I tend to believe it is, then perhaps the reception of the Veer will have no bearing on if/when it gets updated. Maybe it was planned for that time all along and the update will be pushed out regardless of the number of Veers sold. We all know they have had plenty of time to work on the update for the Veer to add TTS and what not, including fix bugs. The touchpad has had just over 2 weeks. Not much excuse for the Veer.

I am now going to join all of you on the optimist side of the coin and stay there . I love my Veer, and even if I do have to wait longer, I will not be taking it back.

"HP Veer + HP Touchpad - Works like nothing else"
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonesey View Post
    I would agree, but I'm just saying that I'm willing to play along and believe that the 17th is their planned true launch. So, I'll hold on calling them idiots till monday.
    You really believed that "true launch" thing? It's the usual "won't say it's a failure because it'll tank stock price" BS.

15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    You really believed that "true launch" thing? It's the usual "won't say it's a failure because it'll tank stock price" BS.
    I'm as cynical about capitalism etc. as anyone, but they said they've had the date marked for a while, and the experience of most everyone who tried to find one that day I believe shows that HP wasn't too concerned about actually making the product available on that date. So as much as we all know about lies in advertising, I think that their story is at least plausible.

We'll all know in the next 24 hours.
    lukehale likes this.
    i think european veers are still on 2.1.1

well... or mabe it's just me ;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by zwergholdrio View Post
    i think european veers are still on 2.1.1

well... or mabe it's just me ;-)
    Nope, every German Veer is on 2.1.1 as well. That's the reason patches won't show up for the Veer in Preware.
  18.    #18  
    Maybe the update will release on California time?

At least that buys me two more hours of hope today :-/