Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    I only mention it because i've read in these pages that HP likes to read forums like this to get with what the people are saying. And, of course, my understanding is they'd like to sell more phones.
    Quote Originally Posted by dan-o View Post
    I only mention it because i've read in these pages that HP likes to read forums like this to get with what the people are saying. And, of course, my understanding is they'd like to sell more phones.
    Oh I agree. I decided years ago that I wouldn't buy a product with non standard inputs. It goes against how I use my devices (I like to be able to use any headphone jack, any charger I have lying around and connect to any computer via USB when I am traveling). It's also because of this that I can't recommend the Veer to my sister who would otherwise love it.

Oh well. maybe I can get her interested in the still ephemeral Pre3. Kinda doubt it though.

nnb
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am on the fence. I really like the non-standard ports, like them better actually. But it is a pain in the **** not to be able to use what I already have in my car, etc., and the paranoia of losing them.
    Wasn't a dealbreaker for me, but I can see how someone would feel that way.
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by biggnaa20 View Post
    Oh I agree. I decided years ago that I wouldn't buy a product with non standard inputs. It goes against how I use my devices (I like to be able to use any headphone jack, any charger I have lying around and connect to any computer via USB when I am traveling). It's also because of this that I can't recommend the Veer to my sister who would otherwise love it.

Oh well. maybe I can get her interested in the still ephemeral Pre3. Kinda doubt it though.

nnb
    exactly. i have all these chargers, car chargers, headphones, usb cables laying around. not being able to use them is bad enough, but having to buy replacements just adds to the cost of the phone.... it would cost me 100-200 bucks to replace all the cables i have... they could have made the phone unnoticably larger to fit these inputs... it's really just ridiculous, and it's ****ing me off more as time goes on any my pixi deteriorates. but i'll buy another pixi before i buy a veer w/ nonstandard inputs
    exactly. i have all these chargers, car chargers, headphones, usb cables laying around. not being able to use them is bad enough, but having to buy replacements just adds to the cost of the phone.... it would cost me 100-200 bucks to replace all the cables i have... they could have made the phone unnoticably larger to fit these inputs... it's really just ridiculous, and it's ****ing me off more as time goes on any my pixi deteriorates. but i'll buy another pixi before i buy a veer w/ nonstandard inputs
    Having my Veer here sitting next to my Pre- at work, the phone would have been noticeably larger with a headphone jack (thicker and larger overall). Not saying that maybe they couldn't have snuck in a micro usb and made the phone slightly larger. We already own 5 touchstones (gonna order 2 more to stay in the cars).

Other than that we use bluetooth a lot of places, I expect to see in the near future cheaper extra headphone adapters and charging cables. HP wasn't going to give em away for free at launch, but we will either see knock offs or HP will be selling them cheaper.

Honestly it was one of the things that had worried me, but on my second week with the Veer, really hasn't been that big of a deal (especially for someone who had invested in touchstones over the last 2 years).

In the end, I have been carrying 2 phones for over a week, if they had put in a standard headphone jack and charging jack, it wouldn't be the same phone.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    DonnyDuck88 likes this.
    I wouldn't mind the magnetic connector if:

- HP actually sells these accessories elsewhere. I can't even find them at Best Buy or the AT&T store where the Veer is sold.
    - If they fix the headset bug. I find myself constantly have to unplug, plug it back and unplug again constantly to get it out of headset mode. It's actually worse than my Pre Plus with the busted headset jack.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    85 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Having my Veer here sitting next to my Pre- at work, the phone would have been noticeably larger with a headphone jack (thicker and larger overall). Not saying that maybe they couldn't have snuck in a micro usb and made the phone slightly larger. We already own 5 touchstones (gonna order 2 more to stay in the cars).

Other than that we use bluetooth a lot of places, I expect to see in the near future cheaper extra headphone adapters and charging cables. HP wasn't going to give em away for free at launch, but we will either see knock offs or HP will be selling them cheaper.

Honestly it was one of the things that had worried me, but on my second week with the Veer, really hasn't been that big of a deal (especially for someone who had invested in touchstones over the last 2 years).

In the end, I have been carrying 2 phones for over a week, if they had put in a standard headphone jack and charging jack, it wouldn't be the same phone.

you must be the only person who doesn't work for hp to have 5 touchstones. that being the case, i can understand why this isn't a big issue for you. but imagine, you invested all this money in these accessories... can you imagine if HP then turned around and came out with a phone that kicked all this stuff to the curb? well that's what they did to the rest of us with the veer.

and how about the fact that you can't charge and listen to music at the same time?

poor design. they could have done better. i say this as someone who loves webos.
    Touchstones ought to be a standard input of energy!
    you must be the only person who doesn't work for hp to have 5 touchstones. that being the case, i can understand why this isn't a big issue for you. but imagine, you invested all this money in these accessories... can you imagine if HP then turned around and came out with a phone that kicked all this stuff to the curb? well that's what they did to the rest of us with the veer.

and how about the fact that you can't charge and listen to music at the same time?

poor design. they could have done better. i say this as someone who loves webos.
    As far as the touchstones, seeing you have 35 posts and only been around over a year, lots of folks have more than we do (and this is with 2 WebOS users in the house). There are individuals on these forums that have 5 for just their own use. Since you I am certain you aren't around much (or maybe just missed the threads), many of us were buying touchstones with car chargers for $10 with free 2 day shipping from VZW over a year ago.

Once again with TS and/or BT, you can charge and listen to music at the same time.

In the end all this was known about the Veer long before launch. I encourage people to purchase based on what they need and desire.

I also encourage to do your own research, I ran every potential negative by my wife many times before we purchased our phones (including the charging and headphone adapters), also got her an iPhone 3G to play with so she could compare and not make a decision based on my needs and use.

I have never told ANYONE they should like or get the Veer for any reason including these items, if it doesn't work for you it doesn't work for you.

One more thing, when you speak of spending "all this money on accessories" in regards to the TS, the total purchase price of all our TS was maybe 10% the total cost of our Pre-'s... this doesn't include the cost of cases, screen protectors, TS backs, car chargers (we bought official Palm chargers), spent far more on other accessories than we did touchstones and wall plug. BTW, when we went from Centro to Pre, none of our chargers worked, and we had headphone adapters we no longer needed (the Pre car chargers did come with adapters that would work with the Centro).

This is the reality of purchasing technology, as I am not telling anyone they have to like the magnetic adapters, noone can tell me I should have wanted a slightly bigger phone with standard plugs. If the Veer wasn't so small, I would have bought something else (maybe unlocked Pre2) or waited.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I thought the same thing, but left Sprint for the Veer the day my contract was up because of Sprint's nonexistent signal in my area anyway, and it has never actually bothered me.
    I have Touchstones at home and work, and the battery life is so much better in the Veer that I can make a 5 hour drive using the Veer for music with no worries, so I really have no need to charge and play music simultaneously. I would like to have a second 3.5 mm adapter - one for car, one for headest - but in my month of use it's never been a real inconvenience.
    Yeah I figure I will buy a couple backup adapters when they get cheaper.