Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hello,

I have an unlocked HP Veer, bought in Deutchland, and open for 1st time in France, with french SIM.
    I already have Palm Profile, which is also french.

On the phone everything is in French, except in the app catalog : paid app are in US, and it seems that i only have US apps (or international).
    When i try to purchase paid app, i only have that choice of facture country : USA, canada, mexico

What can i do?
    Thanks
    Last edited by sausalito; 07/09/2011 at 02:21 AM.
    The sausalito's Veer is a QWERTZ keyboard ;-)
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Rudy, do you think this is also same issue as yours?
    Another thread to be merged with the other two?
  4.    #4  
    Right, and bought on amazon.de / mobilejoker
    I wait my Veer... Bought on ComputerUniverse.net
    But i have the same problem with TouchPad - Furthermore, it is completely blocked, it will not turn on. I must share ... :-s
    Quote Originally Posted by Rudy P. View Post
    I wait my Veer... Bought on ComputerUniverse.net
    But i have the same problem with TouchPad - Furthermore, it is completely blocked, it will not turn on. I must share ... :-s
    i suspect it not being the "same" problem, a not-turning-on-at-all-touchpad should have a hardware issue, right?

with the veer (german but activated not in germany) there seems to be a "row - rest of world" profile problem, already dicussed between grasshopper and me in the thread: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...line-de-5.html.

but my knowledge and experience becomes pretty thin here at some point and i cannot supply really helpful information except for borrowing out a german sim card for profile creation
  7.    #7  
    I just talk to HP support, they said that the phone was activated in US... but it's impossible : DE model, never opened, bought at Amazon.....
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Would it be safe to say that the App Catalog / Profile pairing is a bit of a mess?

I have a US Veer, switched on for the very first time in Europe, but not one of the countries it's officially sold in. My Palm Profile is UK, I get the US app catalog. Fair enough, might be linked to the fact the Veer is the US version.

But when gnark switches on his DE Veer with a French profile and ends up in the US App Catalog... Am I allowed to say there is some kind of issue?

I'm quite tempted to flash my US Veer to the DE Veer firmware (as soon as available) via some Impostah hack (if possible) maybe switching from P160UNA to P160EUE and see what happens...

Ka.
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by KaSt View Post
    Would it be safe to say that the App Catalog / Profile pairing is a bit of a mess?
    Sure it is!
    HP told me exactly the same thing as they did to Sausalito: the VEER has been activated in the US and nothing can be done. "Just sell it" they told me. The tech guy seemed annoyed by me buying this product outside of the french market ^^

As for the App Cat, nothing changed (but I activated my phone only yesterday, so...). Someone told me that I should buy apps via Internet and transfer on my phone. I'll try to do that and tell you if it is possible.

I'm also in discussion with my bank to know if they can give me dummy credit card number affiliated with my real credit card but with american currency. Let me explain: one of the service they propose is to give dummy credit card number to buy on the internet, to avoid giving your real number. So I asked if they could do that but with american CC numbers, and with $ currency. If someone is interested in the result I'll post it here.

EDIT: Some news !!! My App Cat is temporarly unavailable. I rebooted the device to see it had any effect, and now it seems something is on its way. Stay tuned :P
  11.    #11  
    I guess you don't see changes...
    Nope, but still trying to find a way to bypass this issue
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    I'm also in discussion with my bank to know if they can give me dummy credit card number affiliated with my real credit card but with american currency.
    Been there, done that. Tried multiple sources of "Dummy credit cards", or VCC as they seem to call them. None worked. Simply, as per what I read, because most of these cards don't have a real address linked to them or they should put your real one. No bank will accept to put a fake address on one of your cards, even on a dummy one.

So tried a few, couple that promised to work with any seller on earth. Well, maybe Palm is from Mars, because non worked.

Anyway... I'm currently back on my BB. I really hoping to hear that the catalog issue is gone. My Veer is currently off, in a drawer. Not taking dust but close. Too bad, it is really nice but between the TMCs (that seem to happen only to me) and the Catalog issues, not really ready for prime time, IMHO.

Ka.
    Ok so no dummy CC then ^^

And with Impostah this really not possible to do something ?

If I send it back to computeruniverse and they send me a new Veer, how would I use impostah without creating a new account ???
    I did a quick look on it, but I didn't understand why it is not possible to change the app cat settings if the phone is already activated^^
    For GSM phones that use a SIM card: The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider that issued the SIM card.
    Yes, and my SIM is french, and the Veer has never been used before. Even at computeruniverse they told me that they get their phones directly from HP and that the box had never been opened, even to do some activation! Or is it that that HP did an activation before sending them to computeruniverse? It is not likely I think...

Our phones have never been activated before us, I'm sure of it. And the strange thing is that German people who bought the Veer to computeruniverse do not have this problem: if their phones had been activated in the US, German people should also have this issue. And this is not the case. So ... ?

EDIT: this was one year ago: http://www.facebook.com/topic.php?ui...78&topic=11381

EDIT2: BTW, I just checked in the sys infos, and the app catalog is the only app which is not in 2.1.1 version. Instead it shows 2.0.22300. Is this normal ?
    Last edited by grasshoper; 07/07/2011 at 06:10 PM.
  17.    #17  
    grasshoper -> I think it's just an HP issue. I guess they consider in their system that Veer activated outside Germany are US...
    So we can't do anything until HP correct this.
  18.    #18  
    Thanks GuyFromNam i try this
    Quote Originally Posted by KaSt View Post

I have a US Veer, switched on for the very first time in Europe, but not one of the countries it's officially sold in. My Palm Profile is UK, I get the US app catalog. Fair enough, might be linked to the fact the Veer is the US version.

But when gnark switches on his DE Veer with a French profile and ends up in the US App Catalog... Am I allowed to say there is some kind of issue?

I'm quite tempted to flash my US Veer to the DE Veer firmware (as soon as available) via some Impostah hack (if possible) maybe switching from P160UNA to P160EUE and see what happens...

Ka.
    just for the record: i am a happy german veer user with a german (non o2) sim card and no issues since hp fixed the device and os version specific profile glitch.

yes it all seems a mess and its an historically grown mess. still the fact that they seem to change this mess (right now into an even bigger mess) tells that they at least have some plan with some aim.

following the arguments palm and hp supplied to explain why countrys are supported while others are not, in my thinking i would expect that at least a country with existing webos and app catalog infrastructure like france should finally receive some satisfactory treatment.

following the plausible possibility that palm and hp try to keep the value of a device specific carrier deal high for the carrier might suggest they would only support devices that are covered by such a deal even when the general infrastructure for selling apps exists in a particular area.
    I have exactly the same problem as the OP, but: my Veer was bought in Germany (with QWERTZ keyboard) and activated with a SIM from O2 Germany (Palm/HP carrier!!). None the less I can not add a german credit card to my Palm profile (which worked before on a Pre and Pre Plus for WebOs 2.x). My profile always was german and I wanted it to stay that way...

I contacted palm on twitter yesterday and they looked into it. The guy said that it was a server issue and they told the engineers to look at it. Until now I received no further notice on the issue and it did not resolve... This is really a mess.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast