Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Do you need to change the back case of the Veer to be able to charge on the touchstone same as the pre-?
    Nope... Touchstone charging capability is built right into the device. No need for a different back case.
    due to the fact that with the veer (unlike with all other previous released webos phones) the back cover is not exchangable as a end user friendly manner without voiding the warranty they had to include the ingredients that fit to the touchstone already.

and unlike with the touchpad with the veer they even included the touchstone itself in the package, at least in germany (and i think there are at least rebate offers including the touchstone in the us).

and the touchstone that shipped with my german veer (included in the very same boxing) is exactly the model i bought with my pre almost two years before.

and just like the wall adapter it even reads "palm" on it
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    (and i think there are at least rebate offers including the touchstone in the us).
    Did I miss this? Can anyone confirm?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    due to the fact that with the veer (unlike with all other previous released webos phones) the back cover is not exchangable as a end user friendly manner without voiding the warranty they had to include the ingredients that fit to the touchstone already.
    The Pre+ and Pre2 also have Touchstone support "build in". I'm quite sure the Pre3 will have also. HP/Palm understood that the Touchstone is one nice feature to stand up from the competition, so it is included in all recent and new models.

Did I miss this? Can anyone confirm?
    I don't know, but maybe he is talking about that truck tour: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...our-truck.html

I read somewhere that you can get free touchstones, even if you don't show up on the event via some formular on the internet... but I'm not sure about that... as german you always read about that great promotion things and very fast forget about them, as soon as it becomes clear to you that they are only meant for US residents...
    They are quite cheap on Amazon.com.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Is the HP Touchstone (from hp.com) has the Palm logo or did they remove it? Thanks!
    So far I haven't seen a HP logo touchstone (or charger, then again I didn't look at the chargers that came with the Veer), anyone else?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    They are quite cheap on Amazon.com.
    Yep, $11 for the touchstone and $3.28 for the cable/plug if you need those, too. These prices explain why I own 5 of them
    The Touchstone still has the Palm logo. My charger had no logo, and I'm not sure if my older ones have a logo on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by MicahDG View Post
    Yep, $11 for the touchstone and $3.28 for the cable/plug if you need those, too. These prices explain why I own 5 of them
    Someone in another Veer thread (the one about the non-standard connector) told me I was the only person to own 5 TS's other than an HP employee and that he would never invest all that money in accessories. The 5 I have are between me and the wife, I then had to explain to this fine man that his 30ish posts in a year and a half showed how little he knows about WebOS, people on these forums, and the cost of a TS.

Anyways, I still need to buy a couple more for the cars.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garfonso View Post
    The Touchstone still has the Palm logo. My charger had no logo, and I'm not sure if my older ones have a logo on it.
    The old plugs have the Palm logo (at least all the ones we own did), this includes the original Pre ones, and the slightly smaller ones we got off ebay.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Someone in another Veer thread (the one about the non-standard connector) told me I was the only person to own 5 TS's other than an HP employee and that he would never invest all that money in accessories. The 5 I have are between me and the wife, I then had to explain to this fine man that his 30ish posts in a year and a half showed how little he knows about WebOS, people on these forums, and the cost of a TS.

Anyways, I still need to buy a couple more for the cars.
    I actually had 7 at one time but sold 2 to webos converts. The other 5 are split between my wife and I, as well I got 3 of them from Verizon for $5 each on clearance.

I've been thinking about installing one in my car for a long time, too. I have an inverter already but assume there's probably more work involved than simply strapping the TS to the dash and plugging it in to the inverter...

The TSs are located... 1 on each nightstand, 1 next to my computer at work, 1 at my home computer, and the other on an end table next to the couch. I just picked up a Veer from Best Buy today so I may need to pick up a few more TSs so my Pre- and Veer can charge in harmony :P hehe

I also bought 20 micro-usb cables from monoprice.com a year ago for $25... I leave them everywhere (car, work, wife's purse) so I'm never without power. We also have 7 Pre batteries from amazon at $3 each. I carry 1 in my wallet. Wife carries two in her purse. The others are stashed in key locations. Shame they don't fit in my Veer

Dirty confessions of a pre accessory maniac :P Now I just need a microusb-to-pre connector (or 10) without a cable attached to it... hmmm
    The TSs are located... 1 on each nightstand, 1 next to my computer at work, 1 at my home computer, and the other on an end table next to the couch. I just picked up a Veer from Best Buy today so I may need to pick up a few more TSs so my Pre- and Veer can charge in harmony :P hehe

LOL at everything else, and this sounds just bout like us. I don't have a TS in my home office, but have one at my desk at work, and have one that we share on the entertainment center in the living room.
    I have 2 touchstones from my Pre- (just got a veer to replace my iPhone 3G), one mounted on the dashboard of my car for nav. Glad to hear ill be able to put them back to use since swapping my pre- for a evo 3d. Was hard to give up that pre-, but between the touchpad and veer I'll get my webOS fix. Disappointed that you can only have 1 webOS phone per account though, guess I'll deal with that when sprint gets a webOS phone again. If my pre- hadnt broken right before going on vacation I would have just repaired it... Now maybe I'll build a frankenpre2...bah.
    Palm Centro -> Palm Pre- -> HTC Evo 3D SPRINT
    iPhone 3G -> HP Veer Black -> HP Veer White AT&T
    Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer Black -> HP Pre 3 (UK - Unlocked 8gb) AT&T
    HP Pre 3 (US - AT&T 16gb)
    HP TouchPad Black 1.2GHz 32GB
    HP TouchPad White 1.5GHz 64GB
    HP TouchPad Black 1.5GHz 32GB AT&T

(You have no idea what I would do to get a TouchPad Go)

Obviously I have a problem (see above). . .
    And it has nothing to do with more cowbell. . .
    I've been thinking about installing one in my car for a long time, too. I have an inverter already but assume there's probably more work involved than simply strapping the TS to the dash and plugging it in to the inverter...
    Nope. That's all I did. Well, I did add another cigarette lighter socket underneath the dash to plug the inverter into (in order to keep it out of sight), but other than that, just plug everything in and go.

You can read more about it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ml#post2851122
    Touchscreens are a fad.
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Syndil View Post
    Nope. That's all I did. Well, I did add another cigarette lighter socket underneath the dash to plug the inverter into (in order to keep it out of sight), but other than that, just plug everything in and go.

You can read more about it here:

http://forums.precentral.net/webos-s...ml#post2851122
    Thank you for that link. Am I correct in understanding that some cigarette adapter chargers will work with the touchstone? I was shying away from using my inverter because I would have to switch it on and off every time I wanted to use it or got in/out of the car, and I assumed the cigarette adapter chargers didn't produce enough voltage/currrent/whatever.
    I used 2 pre before Veer, both suffer from phantom touch then dead touch sensor.

Both usually happened first on touchstone. Even when I charge Pre on Touchstone, I always slide open the keyboard, and put it in front of the cooling fan.
    If I don't use air conditioner on my room, Pre will hit 45-46C, if the air conditioner on, it will cooler 40-44C.

So here about Veer. If I use same way I charge Pre on Veer, I got 40C. If I don't use neither AC & cooling fan, Veer will hit 47C which is really hot.
    If I use defaut charging cable, Veer max hit 39C which very reasonable for charging.

So Because I have bad experience with dead touch sensor on Pre, now I put away my TouchStone, and use default cable to charge Veer. More over I found charging Veer very easy because of magnetic I/O.. Lots of people complaint about it, But for me.. I love it!
    Global Posts
    237 Global Posts
    The first thing your post reminded me of is how hot my pre- would get when fighting tooth and nail for a signal. The keyboard area would get too hot to touch. I felt like it was easily to correlate with the fact that I only had 1-2 bars and was trying to download something. How was your signal where you charged your pre and veer, and did you have the pre overclocked?

The second thing that comes to mind for your situation is did you only have 1 touchstone? Were you ever able to test the charging on another touchstone? Additionally, did you make sure the pre and veer were centered perfectly on the touchstone? Were your phones using navigation or doing anything CPU intensive while charging? Even though they reached 47c, did the batteries still charge?

I went through 6 pre-'s and have worked with 7 touchstones and the couple of times they got super hot on the touchstone was when I didn't have the phone lined up quite right. After a while I noticed the charge notification kept popping up and the phone was getting really hot. I re-centered it and it soon cooled off a bit.
    The first thing your post reminded me of is how hot my pre- would get when fighting tooth and nail for a signal. The keyboard area would get too hot to touch. I felt like it was easily to correlate with the fact that I only had 1-2 bars and was trying to download something. How was your signal where you charged your pre and veer, and did you have the pre overclocked?

The second thing that comes to mind for your situation is did you only have 1 touchstone? Were you ever able to test the charging on another touchstone? Additionally, did you make sure the pre and veer were centered perfectly on the touchstone? Were your phones using navigation or doing anything CPU intensive while charging? Even though they reached 47c, did the batteries still charge?

I went through 6 pre-'s and have worked with 7 touchstones and the couple of times they got super hot on the touchstone was when I didn't have the phone lined up quite right. After a while I noticed the charge notification kept popping up and the phone was getting really hot. I re-centered it and it soon cooled off a bit.
    I have 1 touchstone, but I ever borrowed my friend's touchstone to test too, the result is the same.

As a note, I live at tropical climate which mean indoor temperature around 28-30c at noon, without air conditioner.

I'm sure I put Pre & Veer on perfect position when charging on touchstone, because each time I do charging I always check the Touchstone magnet already attached on phone or not.

The veer hit 47c , it is on charging condition, so the battery still charged. That's why the battery temperature is high.

I never use Pre & Veer on touchstone, it is always on idle position with data connection off.

Yes my Pre overclocked to 1 Ghz, but when charging it always revert back to deafult speed 500mhz. I do check it several times on govnah.

Another note... my friend have Pre- fried on touchstone, because using it as mobile hotspot while charging on TouchStone. The phone dead, can't charge the battery even using original charger, so his pre- only can use wifi, and only can use non-original charger to charge the battery out from the Pre.

My personal experience with TouchStone quite horrible. I think HP need to do better research and do upgrade on TouchStone Technology especially heat problem. It is surely a great innovation, but surely not suited for tropical climate countries. And this should be solved ASAP if HP want to sell TouchPad & Pre 3 worldwide.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast