Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes
  1.    #1  
    I read this Post on another forum and I very much agree with (most) of what is said. I personally also chose to buy the Veer and I love it.

What is a 'smartphone power user'? (in response to the HP Veer reviews) - gdgt

For me personally,I was actually (re)reading the Precentral review of the Veer when I decided not only could I live with the Veer instead of the Pre3, and not have to wait as long to upgrade from my Pre-, but I would in fact PREFER the Veer to the Pre3.

As I was reading the "cons", I realized most weren't cons for me, and some were in fact pros.

Would it be nice to have an awesome camera? Sure, but I never use my camera anyway, so no con there. Real camera still infinitely better and the Veers is "good enough".

Big nice high resolution screen? Nice, but even the big screen on the Pre3, or 4 inch Evo or whatever is still not gonna compete with a Touchpad or laptop usability wise. And besides that, a bigger screen is just that, bigger. I would prefer the smaller size overall, and going from my Pre- to the Veer has taken zero adjustment. I can still read everything perfectly fine.

Magnetic headphone adapter issue? Oddly enough I find myself listening to music MORE on my Veer than I ever did on my Pre. I actually like it and find it convenient to just snap it on/off and keep the headphones plugged into it.

Magnetic USB/charger. . . Touchstones, plenty of them, not an issue. Besides that the battery life is amazing so I don't have to charge it much anyway.

Tiny keyboard? Much improved from my Pre, and I loved it. The small size and weight make it a dream for one-handed typing too, handily beats the top-heavy Pre (when opened) at that, and I have no doubt the much larger Pre3 will have the same problem.

A lot of people are getting Tablets and the Veer's pocketability and great battery life make it the perfect Mobile hotspot. With at&t 3g/4g allowing simultanious voice/data, you can be browsing the touchpad, taking calls, sending texts (once we get 2.2), working on typing a blog post, all at the same time. And this can all be done with the Veer in your pocket, basically invisible and weightless.

To me that last part is the epitome of what it means to have "connected devices".

The last important thing, is the speed of the Veer. If not for how smooth and fast it is (unlike the Pixi, that would have been just as perfect, if what is in the Veer had been available it the time) this would not be my phone choice. That small of a phone, with even a little bit less smoothness, i couldn't live with.

I think the Veer in this context is even more of a "poweruser" device than the Pre3, when paired with a touchpad. If not for the veer, i would a have a Pre3, and possibly no Touchpad. Without the Touchpad, I would have no Veer.

HP Touchpad with webOS AND HP Veer - works like nothing else.
    Last edited by lukehale; 07/05/2011 at 07:42 PM. Reason: Typos! Still not quite used to this Touchpad keyboard :p
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Great post. I too when I bought thought maybe I was settling, but as I said in another post this is the best smartphone I have ever owned. The TouchPad is my reading device, this is my check my email and get quick data/scores on the run and new ipod. And it works great.
    Captured my feelings precisely.
    Global Posts
    80 Global Posts
    I was toying with this idea in the back of my mind and now I think it's what I really want to do.

I've got the tPad and I agree, that in conjunction with the veer it's possibly the best of both worlds.

I HATE following the crowd and when everyone else is trying to get bigger and bigger slab phones I think it makes a huge statement to have one that goes 180 in the opposite direction!
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cwhead321 View Post
    I was toying with this idea in the back of my mind and now I think it's what I really want to do.

I've got the tPad and I agree, that in conjunction with the veer it's possibly the best of both worlds.

I HATE following the crowd and when everyone else is trying to get bigger and bigger slab phones I think it makes a huge statement to have one that goes 180 in the opposite direction!
    Glad I can be of assistance, though I am sure you didn"t REALLY need any convincing from me. I know I made the right choice, i'm sure you will too.
    Well said, cudos. I've had the Veer for a week and love it.
    "It's only an island if you look at it from the water"
    Chief Brody JAWS
    Global Posts
    111 Global Posts
    The Veer comes at an interesting time with the convergence to smartphones is being somewhat by the introduction of tablets. For my case I was not sure the Veer would be enough, but surprisingly it is. And for what it isn't it is usually a lot more enjoyable using my laptop anyway.

I also find the magnetic connector for the headphones a great feature, especially with angled cables that let you put the phone into your pocket in a horizontal orientation. It basically gets rid of the one singe way I used to drop phones occasionally: When accidentally pulling the headphone cord.
    The one downside I have to agree with currently is the cable situation, though that will be moot once I have the music I want etc. On the phone. For everything else there is online syncing.
    lukehale likes this.
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by marbla View Post
    It basically gets rid of the one singe way I used to drop phones occasionally: When accidentally pulling the headphone cord.
    I think reading that point jynxed me, because today that very thing happened. And indeed i was saved by the magnetic adapter.
    You're making me want to dump my dying Pre- with a Veer :/ But I wanted to wait for the Pre3 However, I fear the Pre3 might be too big. I already have big pockets but the original Pre was near perfect for me.
  10.    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    You're making me want to dump my dying Pre- with a Veer :/ But I wanted to wait for the Pre3 However, I fear the Pre3 might be too big. I already have big pockets but the original Pre was near perfect for me.
    Once I got my Pre I realized I wouldn't want even a slightly larger phone after having that, I think even the iPhone is too big really, and I like my real (great) keyboard. I don't want a phone as big as the Pre3. . . I still think it's gonna be awesome, I would love to have it just to paly with. . .but the tradeoffs for me going with the Veer is very much worth it.

I thought the Pre was near perfect too. . . . then I got the Veer
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    The only size objection I have was it was really hard to hold it to talk at first. Totally a mental thing and I got over it, but it is so small with my relatively big hands it was not comfortable placing flush with the palm so I end up holding it at the tips of all 5 fingers.
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    The only size objection I have was it was really hard to hold it to talk at first. Totally a mental thing and I got over it, but it is so small with my relatively big hands it was not comfortable placing flush with the palm so I end up holding it at the tips of all 5 fingers.
    I try not to talk on it when it is closed if I can help it...harder to hold. I just treat it like a flip phone and always answer it by sliding it open. . . it's really easy, and actually no more difficult to hold than an old flip phone that way, which admittedly was always a much better way to hold a phone (in my opinion).
    Same here. I got Veer and Touchpad and using touchpad all the time, even at home, right now I holding my touchpad and have no idea where Veer is I just making calls, and receiving calls on touchpad, I don't need any phone at home when I using touchpad.

I have no idea why I need Pre 3? for what? When I have Veer and I love it so much, I had all iPhone models, Pre-, Pre plus, Pre 2 and last time sold my iPhone 4 and get Veer. I never ever was so happy with my phone like I am right now with Veer and of course with touchpad. iPad not even close, used iPad 2 for a while.

Vee+Touchpad=Great choice!
    lukehale likes this.
    Veer looks so small sitting next to my Pre (with a hard case on it), it is crazy.

I still long term worry about not having a removable battery, I think I will take care of this buy buying one of those portable USB battery packs.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by FischOderAal View Post
    From playing with my girlfriend's Veer I can tell you that the size is amazing - but no camera flash is slightly disappointing (I use my Pre as a flashlight all the time) and no compass (the one thing I don't like about my Pre) outright kills it for me.
    If HP offers a Veer plus with a compass by the time they get around to releasing the Pre3, the Pre3 will have one less customer.

If you don't mind either of those and the other downsides... the Veer is just an amazingly well-built phone that's so tiny you'll only grasp how tiny it is when you actually hold it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    From playing with my girlfriend's Veer I can tell you that the size is amazing - but no camera flash is slightly disappointing (I use my Pre as a flashlight all the time)
    This is my one worry, I use my pre led flashlight quite often, especially in winter when I get home from work and have to bring up garbage cans in the dark (I keep my gate locked and can't see the numbers on the lock in the dark).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    only reason i haven't done this yet is AT&T... hate 'em. i'll ride the fence and wait things out with my pre-
    Yeah I used to hate AT&T, what I have found is a lot of us 10ish years ago made a determination... the wireless game has changed a lot since then.

Any more I see some differences between carriers, but with widespread adoption of cell phones and now smartphones, the user experience is pretty much YMMV regardless of carrier. It's just no longer a deal breaker for me if I can get a decent bang for my buck.
    I do have to add on the poweruser point, just got some FB and carbon on on "4G", I must say much quicker than my Pre - on Sprint in my work building.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    well i just got my new HP Veer off ebay and will be getting it hooked up to AT&T next week when it arrives. i'm a no-Pre3-on-Sprint refugee and i decided to make the plunge when the news came out today. so Veer for me until the Pre3 comes to AT&T
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast