Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I posted this in the Rogers 3G question thread, but I think this deserves a thread of its own.

Going through the Veer's product page and the manuals, I notice this discrepancy. Palm's website says the Veer supports Category 10 HSDPA, which is 14.4Mbps. But if you look at the user guide, it says it only supports 7.2,

HP Veer 4G Smartphone | HP Official(R) Site
    Click Tech Specs, and refer to footnote 1. It says:

Veer 4G is an HSPDA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6 device that supports download speeds of up to 14.4 mbps.
    However, if you refer to page 253 of the user guide
    http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha..._UG_ATT_en.pdf
    It clearly says in the specs that Veer is an HSDPA 7.2Mbps.

So which is correct, or are we on a case of false advertising?

In my own speed tests, I see my Veer only hits 3Mbps max. Bell's network does support up to 42Mbps DC-HSPA.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    The speeds that I get on Rogers are around the 2 to 3Mbps... which more in line with HSPA+ (Category 10 HSDPA)... on my 3G iphone 4 I use to get 300kbps or so...

To me its a documentation error... but I also am bothered by the "3G" symbole rather than the "H+" wonder if the pre 3 will be the same.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Bump... anyone?

HardBeatZ? Adora? Anyone from Palm can confirm?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

Not sure anywhere in the AT&T network is serving up those kinds of speeds.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Not sure anywhere in the AT&T network is serving up those kinds of speeds.
    My question was about the conflicting spec of the phone, not the network.

Well, the Veer's MSM7230 Snapdragon SoC chipset (same as in the G2/My Touch 4G) supports a maximum 14.4Mbps data transfer speed via HSPA+ on the G2 and My Touch 4G. I'm not sure if there is anything else that impacts the maximum data transfer rate.

AT&T's network was all 7.2Mbps at the Veer's launch date, wasn't it? I'm not an AT&T expert at all, though so I can't say for certain.
  7.    #7  
    Palm seems to have confirmed the Veer only supports 7.2.

3:17 PM Connecting...
    3:17 PM Connected. A support representative will be with you shortly.
    3:17 PM Support session established with Ryan.
    3:17 PM Ryan:
    Hello.
    3:17 PM Ryan:
    Thank you for contacting HP webOS customer support.
    3:17 PM ToniCipriani:
    Hi, have a question regarding the HSPA speeds supported by the HP Veer
    3:18 PM ToniCipriani:
    on the Palm website, it says that the Veer is a class 10 HSPA device, which supports 14.4Mbps, however in the manual it says it is HSDPA 7.2Mbps, which one is correct?
    3:18 PM Ryan:
    I am happy to help you with that.
    3:22 PM Ryan:
    Sorry for the delay.
    3:22 PM Ryan:
    As per the information I see that the Veer supports HSDPA Cat 10.
    3:23 PM ToniCipriani:
    yes, that's what I see too, but the User Guide states 7.2
    3:23 PM ToniCipriani:
    so which one is correct?
    3:26 PM Ryan:
    Can I take 2 minutes of your time to get the information?
    3:26 PM ToniCipriani:
    sure
    3:26 PM ToniCipriani:
    take your time
    3:27 PM Ryan:
    Thank you for waiting.
    3:31 PM Ryan:
    Please provide me the link, where you got the information regarding the speeds of the Veer.
    3:32 PM ToniCipriani:
    HP Veer 4G Smartphone | HP Official(R) Site
    3:32 PM ToniCipriani:
    footnote 1 says 14.4Mbps
    3:34 PM ToniCipriani:
    http://www.palm.com/us/support/handb..._UG_ATT_en.pdf
    3:34 PM ToniCipriani:
    this one page 253 says 7.2
    3:34 PM Ryan:
    Thank you for providing the link.
    3:34 PM Ryan:
    HP Veer supports up to 7.2Mbps .
    3:35 PM Ryan:
    Actual speeds may vary.
    3:35 PM Ryan:
    The speed depends on the data plan with the carrier.
    3:36 PM ToniCipriani:
    so the website saying 14.4 is incorrect?
    3:38 PM Ryan:
    Let me provide you with the Chat session ID number 97255865 as a reference for this case.
    3:39 PM Ryan:
    You are correct. HP Veer supports up to 7.2Mbps speed only.
    3:39 PM Ryan:
    Do you have any other questions?
    3:43 PM Ryan:
    Are we connected?
    3:46 PM Ryan:
    I didn’t receive a reply. Are you there?
    3:46 PM ToniCipriani:
    nope, that's is
    *it
    thanks alot
    But I don't know how much to read into this. Guess we have a case for false advertising?

Gotta tell u that I was in NY today, and my 3G switched to H+. And the internet seemed much snapier.

Unfortunately, no speed test... I was roaming after all

Is bell/Rogers capping the data speeds?
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
    Well if it has the same CPU as the G2 which allows up to 14.4 i imagine that would be the same. Maybe the Veer isn't compatible with 14.4 yet due to OS reasons? Considering it was released while 7.2 was out, maybe thats all was implemented into the OS?

Although i have NO idea what i'm talking about here. I dont even know if the OS could stop something like that.

I would contact palm/hp again and ask if it is or isn't and more importantly Why.
    Last edited by Rei VI; 07/13/2011 at 10:21 PM.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
  10.    #10  
    Well, I did post this on the Palm Support Forums

Veer: 7.2 or 14.4?? - Support Community

The rep there insisted it's 14.4Mbps.

I might be going to Buffalo in a few weeks, maybe I'll find an AT&T card and try it there.

I would think it would be 14.4, especially if the same radio is used in Android phones that are using the same Mbps.
    I agree with the rep though, i would contract your carrier.
    Current: Palm Pre 2
    History: [Palm] Pre Plus - [IOS] iPhone 3GS, iPhone 3G - [Blackberry] Pearl 8120, Storm 9530, Bold 9000, Bold 9700, Torch 9800 - [WP7] HTC HD7S - [WM] HTC Fuze - [Android] HTC Aria
    I can not for the life of me get the H+ icon to display on Telstra (Australia), but as the below speed test shows, clearly it is using that capability (yes, that test was done over the air - the network is just dead at this time of day):

I'm guessing the issue is purely cosmetic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hendikins View Post
    I'm guessing the issue is purely cosmetic.
    When I was in the US a few weeks ago, I got the "H+" ... so I wonder why it doesnt show up on NON AT&T networks.

But your right, it's a cosmetic problem.
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by benleroux View Post
    When I was in the US a few weeks ago, I got the "H+" ... so I wonder why it doesnt show up on NON AT&T networks.

But your right, it's a cosmetic problem.
    Probably because AT&T needs to fake it being 4G.

I know Bell doesn't define 14.4 as 4G, though.

Although my question now becomes... what actually triggers the phone to show H+?

LOL, I get H+ running 4 megs d/l and like 1.5 upload (still much faster than Sprint was in my work so I can't complain). I'm on the first floor of an office building.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  16. c4r
    Just wondering what everyone's getting for download speeds for their Veer?

Just got this one this morning...

Last edited by c4r; 07/25/2011 at 10:20 AM.
    Global Posts
    962 Global Posts
    Wifi, 3G or H+?
    I get similar speeds on H+ with mine, but it's becoming painfully slow rendering websites, like precentral, which can take a minute to fully load and respond.
    3.75 Mb/s down; 0.93 Mb/s up.
  19. c4r
    My Veer says '3G'...but it's obviously H+ if I'm getting upwards of 5+Mbps, at times. I read somewhere that I need to get my account 'provisioned' for H+ - but I'm not what difference that would really make (except have the H+ icon show up).

Quote Originally Posted by Mize View Post
    Wifi, 3G or H+?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast