Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By SnotBoogie
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Still no accessories available outside of the HP store. No covers out there to change the color is one thing. No charging/usb connectivity cables and magnetic headphone adapter is another. Could it be that this phone isn't selling enough to attract 3rd party attention? As of right now I don't believe there is another phone (including the coming Pre3) using the same extras outside of the Touchstone from the Pre- release.

As for apps, the same status as before. Developers haven't been beating the door down or at least HP hasn't been dropping apps optimized for the Veers screen size.

Touch to Share is hardly mentioned in the same breath as the Veer. I actually see more about the Pre2 and TTS than the Veer.

Hardware and functionality is very solid with the Veer. BUT, what say ye? Was this release more of a gimmick that was too far down the line for HP to stop or will the Veer pick up in momentum here? Why?
    what are the sales numbers? what is the # of apps in the catalog that run on the screen size right now?
    I don't think covers will happen. I just can't see how the magnetic connector will work with a cover.

What they should do is release more colors.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    what are the sales numbers? what is the # of apps in the catalog that run on the screen size right now?
    All good questions. My guess is that 1% of all Veer owners at best use PC. Based on checkins on forums i would say 100 owners here. That would be 10,000 sold in 2 months at best. I dont think its that high. As for apps I would guess 100 made for Veer specifically (not Pixi carryovers) is being generous.
    Quote Originally Posted by WarHorn79 View Post
    All good questions. My guess is that 1% of all Veer owners at best use PC. Based on checkins on forums i would say 100 owners here. That would be 10,000 sold in 2 months at best. I dont think its that high. As for apps I would guess 100 made for Veer specifically (not Pixi carryovers) is being generous.
    I don't doubt that it isn't a huge seller. But some of your statistical methods are lacking. There is absolutely no way to get to the total number of units sold from forum activity, unless you can somehow distill a group that represents the make-up of society at large.

And about the apps, the number of apps made for the Veer specifically doesn't really matter, since lots of apps made for the original Pre work perfectly well on the Veer. And why throw out Pixi carryovers? Those will work the same on the Veer as they did on the Pixi, except faster. A better measure might be to look at the number of apps available on the Veer.

However, I agree with the general point you're making, which is that the Veer is not causing riots at any retail establishments.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I don't doubt that it isn't a huge seller. But some of your statistical methods are lacking. There is absolutely no way to get to the total number of units sold from forum activity, unless you can somehow distill a group that represents the make-up of society at large.

And about the apps, the number of apps made for the Veer specifically doesn't really matter, since lots of apps made for the original Pre work perfectly well on the Veer. And why throw out Pixi carryovers? Those will work the same on the Veer as they did on the Pixi, except faster. A better measure might be to look at the number of apps available on the Veer.

However, I agree with the general point you're making, which is that the Veer is not causing riots at any retail establishments.
    I agree my methods are not the best. I use the WAG approach which is the most validated and used method to date. Note that EVERYONE has used the WAG method. Unfortunately no better number has been estimated so I argue that I have published the most valid numbers yet.

As for the apps, what I am really trying to get to by eliminating the others is, "How many apps have been released 'because of' the Veer being released?"

But yes you are correct. . . .no lines around the corner on this one. Probably easy to call less success so far than the original Pre. Sprint is probably taking note the same way we are and confirming their decision to avoid WebOS for now.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    They marketed the Veer as sorta a beginner smartphone. Not sure if beginner users would be more likely to find PC because they need help, or less likely because they are not going to max the phone out. But could be a factor.

My only real complaint, if it is a complaint, is we haven't seen 3rd parties selling HP-made accessories. I want a clearance sale on the magnetic chargers! Either that or doctor my receipt so I can get one for free.
    Maybe the reason there's not much enthusiasm with the VEER is that it seems to be only available in US and Germany ^^

(correct me if I forgot a country here)

I don't understand the marketing strategy of HP. I live in France and HP's website only talk about Pre3 and Touchpad when it comes to WebOS. So it is not likely that the VEER will sell in France. Above that, there seem to have been a marketing campaign in the US but not anywhere else.

It seems as if HP don't even want to sell its VEER, or to a limited amount of persons. My guess is that HP has no faith in its phone and that they are being feebly with the releases.

Or... a surprise party in a few weeks with the launch of the Pre3 ? But let me doubt on that.

That is not to say that there will be no development for the VEER. I don't know how HP work as I'm new with their phones, but likely there could be some compatibility between Pre3 and VEER when it comes to apps. Maybe one app coded for Pre3 can work on VEER ? Any hint on that ?
    I have worked on an app that's been in the catalog for a while and handled the Veer screensize with Pixi compatibility a long time ago (and the app was tested on the Veer and found to work great). Going by the download numbers I've seen for that app, the Veer launch has not had a noticeable effect. Could be that Veer users just don't like the app, or it could be that Veer users are just not there. I would go with WarHorn79's assesment on number of Veer owners. The numbers are very low.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    They marketed the Veer as sorta a beginner smartphone. Not sure if beginner users would be more likely to find PC because they need help, or less likely because they are not going to max the phone out. But could be a factor.

My only real complaint, if it is a complaint, is we haven't seen 3rd parties selling HP-made accessories. I want a clearance sale on the magnetic chargers! Either that or doctor my receipt so I can get one for free.
    With the quality of my Pre- I think the Veer is a major step-up. I dropped my BlackBerry Bold to go to the Veer as my primary workphone so I wouldnt say its only for beginners with Smartphones. BUT, I have no clue why HP is not behind it. Maybe their "scale" allows them to just sell based on you walking past it somewhere. I honestly don't remember HP commercials before I became a WebOS disciple and Palm was acquired.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rsanchez1 View Post
    I have worked on an app that's been in the catalog for a while and handled the Veer screensize with Pixi compatibility a long time ago (and the app was tested on the Veer and found to work great). Going by the download numbers I've seen for that app, the Veer launch has not had a noticeable effect. Could be that Veer users just don't like the app, or it could be that Veer users are just not there. I would go with WarHorn79's assesment on number of Veer owners. The numbers are very low.
    In this case I dont want to be right
    Don't worry. "It's a soft launch."
    You come at the king. You best not miss.
    sinsin07 likes this.