Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
  1. pml
    To be on the safer side, I made a screenshot of the page where HP announces the update for our Veer.

See: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/2854366/1/webos?h=fcecf0

For me, this sentence was definitely influencing me when deciding whether to buy the Veer.
    Personally I'm less interested in TTS, but rather want to have the built-in Skype client.
    Last edited by pml; 08/26/2011 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Attaching the screenshot didn't work, I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by pml View Post
    To be on the safer side, I made a screenshot of the page where HP announces the update for our Veer.

See: Dropbox - Photos - Simplify your life

For me, this sentence was definitely influencing me when deciding whether to buy the Veer.
    Personally I'm less interested in TTS, but rather want to have the built-in Skype client.
    resolution you attached is too low . Impossible to read
    Last edited by wolfgart; 08/28/2011 at 01:06 AM.
    - HP Veer --
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfgart View Post
    resolution of you attached image is too low . Impossible to read
    Click "full size" below the image.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Quote Originally Posted by Bighouse View Post
    Click "full size" below the image.
    thanks !

We hope in OTA God
    - HP Veer --
    Bighouse likes this.
    I have asked today the O2 staff news about an update for HP Veer...
    They don't approved the HP Veer update because they can't. HP is only responsible for this situation.
    Damn HP!! I'm tired i want this damn update!!
    Last edited by wMarck90; 03/28/2012 at 10:03 AM.
    If the update is working in beta format for 2.2, 2.3 & 2.4 how much work...really...would it be for HP to do a few tests and then issue an approved update. If the program is written doesn't it just have to be checked and trouble shoot a few bugs that the testers have already found?
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    If the update is working in beta format for 2.2, 2.3 & 2.4 how much work...really...would it be for HP to do a few tests and then issue an approved update. If the program is written doesn't it just have to be checked and trouble shoot a few bugs that the testers have already found?
    I have contact the chat and no one have news about this update... On UK Chat an operator have said this problem is everyday and webOS Team promise every day they release but don't.
    I don't think the problem is the testers, because when they need release the update on private dev forum, i think they don't care this is the truth...
    Quote Originally Posted by tracks914 View Post
    Two theories on this... well one theory and one fact.

Fact:
    Staff has been slashed multiple times, and most staff is working on Open webOS right now.

Theory:
    In the US, Veer was sold on AT&T contract. So theoretically could still need AT&T approval before an update is pushed (this would depend on contract stipulations that none of us are aware of).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Two theories on this... well one theory and one fact.

Fact:
    Staff has been slashed multiple times, and most staff is working on Open webOS right now.

Theory:
    In the US, Veer was sold on AT&T contract. So theoretically could still need AT&T approval before an update is pushed (this would depend on contract stipulations that none of us are aware of).
    Only for the US version, and AT&T say they don't have received any update from HP...

Open webOS? For now it's like they don't support the smartphone device, but they hope the community (webOSInternals) do.
    Based on this discussion
    https://developer.palm.com/distribut...?f=105&t=19584

I hope they support current device in official way and for me is a bad ideas not offering support, because we can help on test, build apps etc.
    So for now the fact is we are the only one without an update and we need for fix the annoying bugs.
    Carriers are not reliable information for updates. They will always tell you they have not received anything. The people you are talking to at the carrier wouldn't know if they had received anything for testing.

Honestly I would guess at some point AT&T had something for testing, as the Pre3 "launched" with 2.2 on it. So most likely AT&T also had test versions of Veers with a 2.2.x build on it. Even if ATT was given something by HP, I would guess they wouldn't test it since they are done with the Veer. ATT has no reason to invest money in something they aren't selling, thus from the jump it is a net loss for them to test anything. So now we are back to the contract stipulations, HP may very well be unable at this time (or ever) to release an update for this device. (sorry, just being realistic and honest... everything that has gone down doesn't get HP out of contracts).

The fact HP released updates for Pre2 and Pre3 really make me wonder what is in their ATT contract with the Veer.

The OS webOS comment wasn't referring to phones, it is referring to staffing. If we see any more updates for phones, I wouldn't expect it until after OS webOS is out. HP is not in the smartphone market, and the current focus is on OS. With the amount of staff that has been cut, it is most likely that there is noone to even touch a phone update at this time.
    Last edited by OldSkoolVWLover; 03/28/2012 at 12:17 PM.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Carriers are not reliable information for updates. They will always tell you they have not received anything. The people you are talking to at the carrier wouldn't know if they had received anything for testing.

Honestly I would guess at some point AT&T had something for testing, as the Pre3 "launched" with 2.2 on it. So most likely AT&T also had test versions of Veers with a 2.2.x build on it. Even if ATT was given something by HP, I would guess they wouldn't test it since they are done with the Veer. ATT has no reason to invest money in something they aren't selling, thus from the jump it is a net loss for them to test anything. So now we are back to the contract stipulations, HP may very well be unable at this time (or ever) to release an update for this device. (sorry, just being realistic and honest... everything that has gone down doesn't get HP out of contracts).

The fact HP released updates for Pre2 and Pre3 really make me wonder what is in their ATT contract with the Veer.

The OS webOS comment wasn't referring to phones, it is referring to staffing. If we see any more updates for phones, I wouldn't expect it until after OS webOS is out. HP is not in the smartphone market, and the current focus is on OS. With the amount of staff that has been cut, it is most likely that there is noone to even touch a phone update at this time.
    Ok this is for US version, but for Europe version? They don't need to send the update to O2 for testing.
    Maybe you have reason about AT&T, but i think the primary problem is HP.

... And just see this comment http://www.webosnation.com/where-s-w...comment-101883
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    Ok this is for US version, but for Europe version? They don't need to send the update to O2 for testing.
    Maybe you have reason about AT&T, but i think the primary problem is HP.

... And just see this comment http://www.webosnation.com/where-s-w...comment-101883
    That is nothing but speculation in that comment, once again that poster has no idea what ATT and HPs contracts really were. The Pre3 barely launched anywhere...

As far as AT&T vs. unlocked, still many reasons HP wouldn't want to release to only unlocked phones. (including possibly can't/won't) If the update ever rolls in any form, I expect it to roll to all devices, only makes sense on a discontinued device.

So if HP is "holding" the update I would bet on an issue with the update. I wouldn't be surprised if the updating of the A6 chip is a concern for HP, people have bricked these phones by updating or messing with the A6 programming. Most of the Veers are under warranty from HP, if the A6 update is sketchy (which we all know it is), this could give the company more than enough reason to not release the update at least while they have a large amount of devices under warranty (and probably very little replacement stock).
    That is nothing but speculation in that comment, once again that poster has no idea what ATT and HPs contracts really were. The Pre3 barely launched anywhere...

As far as AT&T vs. unlocked, still many reasons HP wouldn't want to release to only unlocked phones. (including possibly can't/won't) If the update ever rolls in any form, I expect it to roll to all devices, only makes sense on a discontinued device.

So if HP is "holding" the update I would bet on an issue with the update. I wouldn't be surprised if the updating of the A6 chip is a concern for HP, people have bricked these phones by updating or messing with the A6 programming. Most of the Veers are under warranty from HP, if the A6 update is sketchy (which we all know it is), this could give the company more than enough reason to not release the update at least while they have a large amount of devices under warranty (and probably very little replacement stock).
    I did 3 times the A6 update on same device and no problem. I repeat the problem is HP don't care.
    Why i say this? Because i talk with Palm/HP engineer, he don't share nothing important, but made me realize the problem is "internal".
    If it bugs you that much, why not just install the update yourself? There's several threads here about it., and people that can help you out with it as well, if needed.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    If it bugs you that much, why not just install the update yourself? There's several threads here about it., and people that can help you out with it as well, if needed.
    I do it, but 2.2.3 and 2.2.4 have same bug for me... Random shutdown on call. I need a phone, so i going back to 2.1.1 and no more shutdown. If anyone fix this problem, i do again.
    Quote Originally Posted by wMarck90 View Post
    I did 3 times the A6 update on same device and no problem. I repeat the problem is HP don't care.
    Why i say this? Because i talk with Palm/HP engineer, he don't share nothing important, but made me realize the problem is "internal".
    Alright, clearly you are set in your opinion. But please do not claim there are no issues with A6 updates, it has been documented time and time again that their are potential risks associated with A6 programming. These risks are increased with an OTA update. We do not want to see forum members damaging their devices because they believe there are no risks.

Personally I own an "unreleased" device that received update to 2.2.4 .... 2 Pre2's that received 2.2.4 and multiple updates on my TouchPad.

I talk to many folks that work for HP/Palm and have never felt that they don't care. Just because someone didn't share something with you doesn't mean they don't care or nothing is going on.
    Alright, clearly you are set in your opinion. But please do not claim there are no issues with A6 updates, it has been documented time and time again that their are potential risks associated with A6 programming. These risks are increased with an OTA update. We do not want to see forum members damaging their devices because they believe there are no risks.

Personally I own an "unreleased" device that received update to 2.2.4 .... 2 Pre2's that received 2.2.4 and multiple updates on my TouchPad.

I talk to many folks that work for HP/Palm and have never felt that they don't care. Just because someone didn't share something with you doesn't mean they don't care or nothing is going on.
    I don't say this, but i think the problem is not an issue with A6 and i never say they don't care because they don't answer or share internal information with me.
    I think if they care, they have release the update, we have an issue with A6? Don't enable for this version Touch To Share but release the update for fix bug for our costumer and people who still think on our product.
    What do you think? If they say we have release the update, but can't enable touch to share because we have a problem that could damage your smartphone. The customer do a war because they don't enable touch to share to prevent a brick of your smartphone? I think no.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12