Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Hi, wanted to share with you my feelings with the Veer after a full week of use.

The Veer has what I might consider one of the best form factors. Small, with a sharp and durable screen, yet an easy to use keyboard. And feels solid too.

Webos is "cuter" than any other mobile OS. its multitasking system based on cards has no real rival.

But...
    But...

First time I switched it on I realised there was no way to select the type of data network to use. No way to disable 3G and only use 2G (like Edge). 3G drains the battery heavily and is not really needed unless you want to use your mobile as router or you're donwloading some heavy duty stuff. So that was the first time I had to install a patch but there are many other things that would be better when patched.

Then realised that the App Catalog was locked to the US and didn't accept an EU credit card. Ok, that might be my fault as I bought it when it's not even released yet in EU but still a bit of a pain. Don't even want to starts debating on Palm profiles, they way they work and the way they lock you to a specific country or region.

Battery life: I'm constantly (every 4-5 months) switching from a Blackberry to an iPhone and back. From time to time I use an Android phone but eventually always go back to a Blackberry. Had first an 8820, then a 9000 and now finally a 9780. All of them share the same positive aspect: Battery life (and messaging). I can go out for the weekend, leave everything synchronising and still be safe 3 days without recharging. My iPhones never lasted more than 1-1.5 days, maybe 2 without touching them a lot. Android was slightly better (X10 Mini Pro, HTC Hero and a cheap San Francisco) but still nowhere near the Blackberry. I really hoped this Veer could have been the best of both worlds. A real keyboard, small, everything synched and a good battery life. Well, disappointed there too. As I need to be reachable for work 24/24h, I can't be with the fear that the battery runs out and have no quick way to recharge it.

But maybe the worst of all are the TMCs. Too Many Cards errors and slowdowns.
    Still didn't manage to pin point the reason for the memory leaks but often at night, while charging on the Touchstone (but happened also during the day and wasn't charging) the phone starts saying that I have too many open cards. I actually never leave any card open. The memory is so full that it doesn't even ring. Not when a call is received, nor when the alarm in the morning should go off. Believe me, I learned it the hard way, when I realised it was nearly 9am and I was still in bed waiting for my phone to wake me up.

So, in conclusion, a very nice looking phone that could be an ideal phone, once Mr HP manages to provide us with a decent Webos, one that fixes these annoyances and works correctly.

Thank you for your patience if you did read all this till the end

Ka.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Great read. I also come from the iPhone 3G and Android HTC G2; I currently have a BB Bold 9780. I had so many bad experiences with the Pre Plus (keyboard double typed and two replacements died for no reason) that I was afraid to go back to WebOS, even if it's my favorite mobile OS by far. After your thoughts I might give it shot if HP demostrate real commitment to fix those bugs.

Question: how do you compare the tiny Veer keyboard to the 9780 one? Is it too much of a difference?
    @KaSt: I think you install patch that cause too many card even not any cards opened. If you ever see video from WebOS roundup for Veer stress test, Veer can open 35 apps before go too many cards. And I never have this problem too. I only have issue with slowdown. And it can be solved easily by do reset the Veer. I think Veer firmware need update to fix this issue.

@VVoltz: personally I still prefer WebOs over any OS out there. Even with any drawbacks, webos still the best. I tried to love iOS, AndroidOS, and BB OS. BB OS & AndroidOS never success to win my heart, on iOS, only game that can win my heart, but for serious matter such for business & works, I prefer my Veer. it is far better compared to my Pre+, and the keyboard is the best part of Veer. I'm not sure any device can beat it easily. it is tiny but yet very easy to type with it. I can type many long sms with haste and no mistype at all.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    @VVoltz:

Thanks. Personally think the Veer keyboard is at least par to the BB keyboard, maybe even better. On the Veer there is a dedicated (more or less) key for the @ symbol and it feels natural to type on it. But maybe the best thing about this keyboard is that the keys are semi-rubberish. They are not rubber but your finger doesn't risk to slip away when typing fast. Despite the mini size and my normal-big hands I can type easily and nicely on my Veer. So, yes, I really like the Keyboard on the Veer and would even maybe put the same on a BB.

@The Bard:

maybe it's a patch that causes this but don't have that many patches installed. I only installed the "Data and GPS in menu" patch to disable 3G and switch to 2G. All the rest is stock. Only "exotic" thing I have is the Facebook account configured with sync on but not Contact sync. Have few hundreds contacts in Facebook and saw the Veer getting crazy syncronising them so disabled that option.

Google Apps account with full sync is enabled.
    Facebook account with Calendar, Photo, Video sync on.

That's pretty much it.

I know this is a Palm/HP forum, please don't ban me for this, but I like to dream about a Blackberry device with a (stable, fixed) Webos, the messaging and GMail + social apps integration of a Blackberry and the form factor of a Veer. That would be the best mobile on earth (if they could put the camera of the iPhone 4 too then it would be even better).

I do agree with you, Webos is stunning... But unfortunately still misses a few features and functions that others have. Like still in Beta and sometimes Alpha.

Thanks,
    Ka.
    Quote Originally Posted by KaSt View Post
    Then realised that the App Catalog was locked to the US and didn't accept an EU credit card. Ok, that might be my fault as I bought it when it's not even released yet in EU but still a bit of a pain. Don't even want to starts debating on Palm profiles, they way they work and the way they lock you to a specific country or region.
    There are some workarounds for the app catalog. Unfortunately your problem is you are using a phone that at this point has only been released in the US, so when you setup a Palm Profile you only have the option of US app cat. If you were to create a profile on a device that would allow you to create a Palm Profile for the country you want, then login to that profile on the Veer you wouldn't be stuck with the US app catalog. The thread below describes this.

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...confirmed.html

As far as the Too Many Cards, you are the first I have heard of this on the Veer, and don't really remember many instances of something similar on any WebOS device (random too many cards when phone hasn't been used for long periods). I agree that it may be a bad patch (there have been instances of patches acting up with Veer), or you have a bad device. I would suggest either doing the reset that clears your app data and what not, or doctoring the phone. Hopefully it's only a software glitch and not hardware (I would lean to guessing software even if it's not a patch).

Just for comparison, I am on a nearly 2 year old original Pre that has never been doctored, has been patched to hell since day 2 of ownership, doesn't run overclocked (uses compcache), and I have never had the TMC error pop up like that in the middle of the night.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Hmmm on my German Veer I can switch between 2G, 3G, or "auto" in the phone preferences. And 2G safes battery the big way.

meyveer
    Global Posts
    716 Global Posts
    I use the patch: Toggle 3G in Menu that should be available to you through Preware. On mine, I had to use the English-only version, but it works well and is easier to get to than going through a settings menu.

If you have not installed Preware yet, it is one of the first things you should do since it gives you the ability to easily install/remove homebrew applications and patches.
    Off topic, but where in Europe are you that you can use 3G, as the frequencies are different for AT&T and Europe?

I've got a US Pre 2 in Belgium and I only get 2G.
    Check out Movie Diary.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Hi all,
    I'm quite surprised the German Veer allows band selection and the US one doesn't. Still, might be that AT&T wants to force their users to charge the battery more often than O2 does

@Reflex, we're neighbours. I'm in Luxembourg.
    It's tiny, but it's a country! (saying this to our US friends that might have issues finding it on the map ).

Ka.
    The TMC error is probably a result of a buggy app. I had weatherIcon installed and it used to give me random TMC errors. I've had the Veer since launch and experienced 0 TMC's after I uninstalled that program.
    You can change the 3G to 2G speed by entering hash codes into the phone app...
    Well, it works this way for CDMA ... not sure about GSM though... maybe try searching around.
    Just have to say, after 2 weeks not one TMC error (as expected).
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by meyveer View Post
    Hmmm on my German Veer I can switch between 2G, 3G, or "auto" in the phone preferences. And 2G safes battery the big way.

meyveer
    Where do you find this option? There isn't one place for the settings, but several, and i can't find this option on my german veer^^

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Proud Veer and Touchpad owner
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Where do you find this option? There isn't one place for the settings, but several, and i can't find this option on my german veer^^

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    Just open the phone app, swipe down from the upper left corner of the screen and open the settings card. There you can change the network type. You can choose between automatic, 2G only and 3G only.
    Just another vote for "never had a TMC error" (not counting the time I forced one). I'd agree it's likely an app causing the problem.