1. ilovethepre
    Using Preware and when I had my Pre -, I could change the icons to different sizes, when I try to do this on the veer, it is a no go. Any help? Thanks.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Not currently possible on webOS 2.x
  3. VeerforMe
    Thanks for the quick response
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Welcome, don't forget to hit the thanks button
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Do we know whether this will be possible with webOS 3.x? I believe at some point the Veer will be heading that route, and the Pre3 will likely start there, correct? In a way the Veers are in a holding pattern if so, given my understanding of how different 3.x is compared to what is on the Veer now.
    Global Posts
    397 Global Posts
    Can't say for sure, 3.x is still under NDA, but we can expect to find out soon.
    From my understanding in 2.x the launcher has been rewritten in C, so unless this changes in 3.x I think we are out of luck.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by i_maq View Post
    Can't say for sure, 3.x is still under NDA, but we can expect to find out soon.
    Looks like that just changed:

https://developer.palm.com/distribut...p=79180#p79180
    Quote Originally Posted by bevcraw View Post
    YAYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Been waiting for this!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    From my understanding in 2.x the launcher has been rewritten in C, so unless this changes in 3.x I think we are out of luck.
    Interesting. I still think life could be better once the Pre3 is out and running on the same version as the Veer. There should be more attention paid then to patching once it is a larger community than just us Veer users.
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Interesting. I still think life could be better once the Pre3 is out and running on the same version as the Veer. There should be more attention paid then to patching once it is a larger community than just us Veer users.
    It's not impossible to patch a binary in the same way that going faster than the speed of light is impossible, but it's pretty close if we don't have the source code (and we don't). The launcher in 2.x is universally fast because it is a binary (written in C and compiled into binary to run directly on the processor) instead of javascript (which runs through an interpreter code that is actually what is running on the processor). However, it might be possible for someone else to create a different launcher, and then webOS might be able to be patched to use the other launcher instead. I don't know if that's possible or not.

Frankly, your best bet is to change your habits. The launcher takes a lot of scrolling if you're trying to scroll through to find the application you want. You also have to work hard to keep everything organized. A better way to go is to use Just Type to find your apps. You'll find this will be faster, even if you know exactly where to look. You'll hate webOS if you try to use it like iOS, but if you use it as intended, you'll find it's really fantastic.

I should also mention that the different screen resolutions for the Veer and Pre3 will still require some differences in patches between the two. But I agree, life will generally be better for patching with more webOS 2.x devices out there, and eventually the versions on the Veer and Pre3 should be the same.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I think you hit the nail on the head. I still don't prefer the big icons (I have been shrinking icons on screens since Windows first allowed it in the 80s or 90s) but the more I customize and move and add launcher pages and reorder the less of a big deal it is. Overall it is a minor complaint if at all.
    I have 7 or 8 launcher pages on my Pre, use just type for everything except 2 pages usually. One page is my games, the other which is the page I usually have the launcher on is my frequently used app (news room, forums, weather, webos roundup, notes, email, carbon, facebook, and my audio apps).