Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    So, I'm three weeks in with my grey-import Veer here in the UK. Honeymoon period is over, and now I'm starting to see the cracks. The problem is, the Veer is an amazing device with some really unique elements. Here's the quandary.

So, here's a little potted history of my experience so far. Feel free to discuss ;-)

Hardware

The build quality of the Veer is amazing. With each successive WebOS device I've owned the build quality has got better. The Veer feels like the pinnacle of Palm/HP design so far. The refined touches (like the integrated camera and speaker grille on the back) make it feel elegant and sophisticated.

Buttons are solid and responsive. Lock key is a little too far around the side to be comfortable, but you know when you've clicked it. The SIM card cover is a real pain in the **** to open. The silent switch is excellent. Sometimes it will slide open in my pocket and unlock - which I'm sure will be a problem at some point when I accidentally call my Mum without realising.

The keyboard deserves a special mention. The size and tactile feedback is just right, the space bar positioned just so, and everything feels easy to reach. The keyboard slider is solid and isn't exhibiting Oreo effect so far. It's easy to open and close with one hand.

Call quality

Call quality is good. So far, I've heard no one complain of bad call quality from their end. Volume is good, but could do with being a little louder. I've made calls in quiet and crowded areas and have had no complaints.

Battery

Battery life has been hit and miss. Sometimes, its better than my old Pre2. One day, it left the Touchstone at around 7:30am and had Wifi, 3G and push email on two accounts enabled all day. With light use I still had around 25% at 7pm that evening. Another day, I don't remember doing anything particularly gnarly, and I was already down to 40% by lunchtime. Maybe an errant buggy process running the battery down?

Responsiveness

On the Veer, WebOS seems either super-responsive, or really laggy. It feels like it needs a software update to mature. Going back to the Pre2, it may be slightly slower overall, but there is no lag and the experience of switching between apps, sending a text, loading a web page, all seem to happen without you having to wait too long.

This is my biggest gripe with the Veer so far. The OS feels immature. Frequently, it will be unresponsive. Several times I've been locked out when the PIN lock screen won't respond to my key presses. Sometimes the camera app doesn't work. Frequently I can't get out of an app by pressing the sensor bar. Most of the time, if I wait long enough, the phone will come back to life, but this really inhibits good usage.

The Magnetic Adapter

The headphone adapter might become a pain, there's no two ways about it. Due to the issues with battery that I mentioned above, a few times now I've been out without my magnetic usb cable and could have really done with a top-up. You can't be at a mate's house with 10% battery and get a quick top-up from their (now standard) micro-USB charger. It wouldn't be so bad if you could get replacement magnetic cables, but so far only HP in the states stock them, and they're the best part of $20!

Patching

I think homebrew has caused me some issues. I'm not sure if the patches are just too new for the Veer, but I've got into a couple of real problems after patching. I really love Advance System Framework - Device menu, but it seems to really freak my Veer out when I try it.

Black screen

I thought my Veer was bricked at one point, but that may have been a bad combination of low battery and odd patch-induced behaviour. I managed to get into a state where the screen wasn't showing anything, but the phone was still functional, and I ended up starting voice dialing by accident and calling some random from my address book at 11:30 at night. After frantically scrambling for the power button to try to turn the Veer off (there was no 'handup' button, the display wasn't working), I had to wake my wife up and ask her to open the SIM card cover with her fingernails so I could just yank the SIM out to stop the call. After that, the Veer wouldn't charge or wake up for a whole day. Somehow, after 24 hours, plugging it into my Mac woke it up. I've since doctored it back to Factory and (for now at least), I've not put Preware back on my Veer at all.

Summary

Overall, I'd say the Veer has the potential to be the best WebOS device I've had so far. But it certainly isn't for everyone. The magnetic headphone and charge cable is a problem you have to be aware of and work around. The size is the most appealing thing to me and it certainly is small. The Veer is getting a huge amount of attention from people who notice it (60% positive) and I love that, at a time when it seems every street chav in the UK has an iPhone 4. But, the bugs and responsiveness problems with WebOS on the Veer seem to be overshadowing the positives for me.

Here's hoping HP are aware of these issues and grace us with a software update some time soon.
    sketch42 and Yhippa like this.
    Just like pre minus, or pre lpus, love and hate, webOS hardware still havenot changed. Maybe slightly better but kind of still the same.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Just like pre minus, or pre lpus, love and hate, webOS hardware still havenot changed. Maybe slightly better but kind of still the same.
    Bah... The hardware is leaps better than the original Pre. Saying that (almost) nothing has changed is a big overstatement IMO. No matter what device you have from whatever company... Nothing is built perfectly and there will always be areas to improve. I agree with the OP that there are areas that need addressing... But it is far from the 'some-ol-hardware'.
    Global Posts
    33 Global Posts
    I agree, I have gone back to my Windows Phone 7 and keep coming back here to see if there is an update to the software to fix some of problems you mentioned. I did not do any patching, just a stock Veer.
    I have the same problems with the screen sometimes not responding. I also have a 50% failure rate with the camera. Many times it re-boots when the camera is open.
    You need to be really careful with patching. I have found the veer files to be slightly different, hence the 2.1.2 designation. Unfortunately, there's no way to determine if it's actually a veer running 2.1.2 or a pre2 running 2.1 -- from the Preware feeds. (I believe it to be a device issue.)

I would not install a patch onto the veer unless you get confirmation from the patch author that it has been tested or verified against the veer files. Just because it installs doesn't mean it will not cause problems.
    French Pre3, UK Pre2, US Veer, German gsm Pre, 680, garmin ique 3600 & still have my working palm pilot 1000 with the 1 Mb adapter

Please remove UberCalendar and google sync behavior patches prior to system updates.
    patch Google calendar sync behavior for 2.x.x and TouchPad (Oauth2 and advanced sync requirements enabled)
    Preference guide for MetaView's UberCalendar patch
    Personally I love the magnetic charger on Veer. Yes it is not standard connector, but I like it because charging Veer become easier compared to plug on micro usb slot.

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    This is my biggest gripe with the Veer so far. The OS feels immature. Frequently, it will be unresponsive. Several times I've been locked out when the PIN lock screen won't respond to my key presses. Sometimes the camera app doesn't work. Frequently I can't get out of an app by pressing the sensor bar. Most of the time, if I wait long enough, the phone will come back to life, but this really inhibits good usage.
    Ugh. Anyone reading this with a Pre2, does this happen there as well? This is the number 1 frustration with my Pre-. Sometimes it takes 10-20 seconds to respond to something, then everything moves along fine. And the camera, which back in webos 1.2 was always snappy, now barely works. This review is entirely too familiar sounding and makes me nervous that its an inherent issue with webos.

Thanks for the review, very well laid out, I enjoyed reading it.
    Quote Originally Posted by frantid View Post
    You need to be really careful with patching. I have found the veer files to be slightly different, hence the 2.1.2 designation. Unfortunately, there's no way to determine if it's actually a veer running 2.1.2 or a pre2 running 2.1 -- from the Preware feeds. (I believe it to be a device issue.)

I would not install a patch onto the veer unless you get confirmation from the patch author that it has been tested or verified against the veer files. Just because it installs doesn't mean it will not cause problems.
    This cannot be emphasized enough. Multiple things in Preware have not been tested on the Veer. I've removed all patches and homebrew software to get a baseline. Then I'll slowly install one thing at a time and use it for a couple of weeks before installing something else.

There aren't many homebrew/patch folks with Veers, including, notably, the developer of freetether.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    There aren't many homebrew/patch folks with Veers, including, notably, the developer of freetether.
    Hopefully this will start to change as more Sprint users get frustrated and jump to AT&T.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    This cannot be emphasized enough. Multiple things in Preware have not been tested on the Veer. I've removed all patches and homebrew software to get a baseline. Then I'll slowly install one thing at a time and use it for a couple of weeks before installing something else.

I don't have any patches installed, but did just install freetether today in anticipation of using it with my TouchPad. Hoping for the best!
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by craigp View Post
    Responsiveness

On the Veer, WebOS seems either super-responsive, or really laggy. It feels like it needs a software update to mature. Going back to the Pre2, it may be slightly slower overall, but there is no lag and the experience of switching between apps, sending a text, loading a web page, all seem to happen without you having to wait too long.

Irresponsiveness/slowdowns are driving me crazy. Just this morning my Veer was first very snappy and little bit later it became completely slooow

It certainly looks like software (webos) problem and I hope (prey) it can be solved with update.

Kreso
    Last edited by jbg7474; 06/29/2011 at 03:30 PM. Reason: Fixed quote
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like these problems are pretty widespread. This is probably a good thing (more likely HP will be aware of it!).

Oddly enough, since I wrote the original review post, my Veer has been behaving pretty well. I'm sure it read the review, and thought it was for the chop.
    Quote Originally Posted by craigp View Post
    Thanks for all the replies. Looks like these problems are pretty widespread. This is probably a good thing (more likely HP will be aware of it!).

Oddly enough, since I wrote the original review post, my Veer has been behaving pretty well. I'm sure it read the review, and thought it was for the chop.
    I know for a fact that HP does read what we write here and pay attention to it. HardbeatZ is an HP support rep and you can see his activity in the Official Bug list thread. They are paying attention.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    This is my biggest gripe with the Veer so far. The OS feels immature.
    Good thing then since it seems that the os is THE thing HP is truely working on seriously

I may have an idea since you're talking about patches working or not with the veer: why not start a sticky thread where people tell about patch compatibility ?
    That's also the biggest software issue with the touchpad. It's actually been an issue since the very first version of webOS, and we've always been waiting for the next version to stop this inconsistency. The devices acts up way too much.
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I must say I'm more on "hate" side lately. My poor Veer is quite so often laggy (better to say completely unresponsive/frozen) that it becomes unusable.

I guess I was (still) paying credits to my old love for Palm, but I am loosing faith (love)

Kreso
    Quote Originally Posted by kresom View Post
    I must say I'm more on "hate" side lately. My poor Veer is quite so often laggy (better to say completely unresponsive/frozen) that it becomes unusable.

I guess I was (still) paying credits to my old love for Palm, but I am loosing faith (love)

Kreso
    Do you restart it everyday? there is a patch for that.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    I've been restarting at the slightest hint of slowdown. Seems to work for me, so far. I'll hunt out the patch kkhannmd mentioned. A sorry state of affairs, but I'm back to loving the Veer this week, so I'll jump through the requisite hoops for now.

COME ON HP. SORT THIS!!
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    Do you restart it everyday? there is a patch for that.
    Hey kkhanmd, would you mind posting a link to the patch you mentioned, please?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast