Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes
    So what do I do ? I wait for an upgrade ? I call HP ? I read that some people had that problem and that someday it was fixed ?
  2.    #62  
    as far as i can remember app catalog setup now depends on profile creation sim (and choosen device locale?) and not anymore on device activation sim locale alone. so france should generally have a dedicated catalog setup for 2.x since the pre2 is there, right?

you could play around with different sim cards (eg a german one) and create new profiles.

actually i dont know exactly what would happen and probably your device locale setup plays a role too, so i would recommend going the palm-support-chat-way aiming a proper french/orange localized setup of everything which should be possible somehow because of the existence of the french pre2 in my opinion.

have you checked if the palm profile online has the right version label?

another possibility would be to wait for the pre2 and the veer running officially the same versions in france and see if something changes then all by itself.

but only guessing here
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    you could play around with different sim cards (eg a german one) and create new profiles.

actually i dont know exactly what would happen and probably your device locale setup plays a role too, so i would recommend going the palm-support-chat-way aiming a proper french/orange localized setup of everything which should be possible somehow because of the existence of the french pre2 in my opinion.

have you checked if the palm profile online has the right version label?

another possibility would be to wait for the pre2 and the veer running officially the same versions in france and see if something changes then all by itself.
    Thanks for your post. Unfortunatly I don't have another sim card with me.

I checked my os version and it is 2.1.1 and my profile is entirely in french.

Concerning this palm-support-chat-way thingy, what is it exactly ? Do you have a link or something ?

I was wondering if it was not a good idea to contact HP France to know more about this...

EDIT: Also, I worry about what provider my profile is showing: it is ROW instead of Orange... Do you know what ROW means ? I'm afraid to call and have to pay for roaming fees ^^
    Quote Originally Posted by grasshoper View Post
    Concerning this palm-support-chat-way thingy, what is it exactly ? Do you have a link or something ?
    Try this
    prego
  5.    #65  
    Do you know what ROW means ? I'm afraid to call and have to pay for roaming fees ^^
    ROW = rest of world
    which is in some respects legitimate as you are always "rest of the world" depending on from where you look at it

there is a support link on the hp site and they ask you what product and model and you can start a browser chat session where they will ask you for your the veers serial number. since i did this on german i bet there is a french chat also. its free.

edit: yeah prego was pointing the right way, sorry was kind of blind
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    ROW = rest of world
    which is in some respects legitimate as you are always "rest of the world" depending on from where you look at it
    Ok, legitimate, but normal ? Do you have ROW in your informations ??

As for HP chat, I tried in France and they gently told me that they are not supporting Veer at this time !! I'll try the German one...
    Double post, sorry:

As for the ROW thing, it seems that it doesn't matter, so I'm ok with that.

But for the App Catalog, HP France told me that, based on my serial number, the device had been activated in the United States, so I will never be able to buy from the store. Is it true ? Are there alternatives to get paid apps without using the App Catalog of the phone ?

I wonder how you people who bought the Veer in the US or Germany and are using it in Europe do ? You who bought the Veer at O2, do you have a similar issue ?

Thanks!
  8.    #68  
    Ok, legitimate, but normal ? Do you have ROW in your informations ??

As for HP chat, I tried in France and they gently told me that they are not supporting Veer at this time !! I'll try the German one...
    boom, doom

to start from the end of your post: most likely they ll tell you then they do not support french carriers...

you are most likely stuck in a "rest of the world" fall back state (regarding app catalog and probably other things like ota updates) which seems like a us app catalog and god knows what exactly the consequences are in detail.

i know the ROW words from the meta doctor hackery which refers to creating a webos-doctor that thanges a carrier specific setup in the os filesystem to a more neutral setup. but dont ask me if my german pres and veers would be ROW too when it comes to that.

but i was curious and had a look into my palm profiles (i have 3 because i chose to created a new one with every new device) and all of them were created with the device in question in germany bought from o2 germany but with a german eplus sim card. interestingly this is what it reads online:

1) pre- T-Mobile
    2) pre+ Vodafone
    3) veer eplus

as said 1) and 2) is plain wrong ;D
    So maybe ROW means that I can use it with any network I like ? Or is it that somebody activated the phone in the US, changed a few settings so it becomes ROW and send it to ComputerUniverse afterward ?

This later told me to return the Veer to them so that they can check what's going on. I must tell you that I'm not enchanted with this solution, as buying apps is not my first priority and that by my investigations EVERYTHING work without problem. The Operator at the top left corner is "Orange France" and Orange told me that there's no problem with the ROW stuff on their network. I can use it without risk of having a huge bill!

What is worrying me now is this OTA thing you tell me: if my phone cannot upgrade, THIS is not good at all! Actually, at launch it has upgraded the AppCatalog to its latest version, so I can't see a reason for it not to upgrade the OS as well ^^

If someone has some info on weither I will have an european app catalog someday or not, je suis preneur
  10.    #70  
    Double post, sorry:

But for the App Catalog, HP France told me that, based on my serial number, the device had been activated in the United States, so I will never be able to buy from the store. Is it true ?
    very strange, didnt you say you bought it being a german (qwertz) veer and you activated it in france with an orange sim? this would qualify you as being row as consequence of not taking part in the game in a "supported" area, but telling you it was activated in the states is absurd, right?

Are there alternatives to get paid apps without using the App Catalog of the phone ?
    no. still you have plenty choice in homebrew and beta apps via preware (i am not sure for the latter because i can remember they changed something with the testing feeds)

I wonder how you people who bought the Veer in the US or Germany and are using it in Europe do ? You who bought the Veer at O2, do you have a similar issue ?

Thanks!
    being german with a german veer (ordered via o2 germany but that doesnt matter) and a german sim card we are properly supported users. there was only a short glitch for a few days turning us into veer users in a supported area but with a unsupported os version but they fixed that pretty fast.

but being that i (almost) never have issues with that so you should try to talk to others that have similar problems.

i know that people from "not supported areas" had the task of having their device activated by someone else in a supported area first, and if that one gone wrong (activated somewhere in the desert) i think the device was more or less screwed (or had to be doctored to neutrality at least?). but as i understand they had changed that so now you cannot screw it up anymore, you just create a new profile with another sim and voila

i can only offer you, come over to franconia and i borrow you an o2 sim to create a new profile but you should research more deeply first, because i cannot tell you exactly for example about the accepted credit cards then because i dont have and never used any
  11.    #71  
    So maybe ROW means that I can use it with any network I like ? Or is it that somebody activated the phone in the US, changed a few settings so it becomes ROW and send it to ComputerUniverse afterward ?
    wouldnt bet on that... if its a qwertz why should someone had it activated in the u s? still im my understanding it doesnt depend on that "first activation" anymore but where and how you create the profile.

This later told me to return the Veer to them so that they can check what's going on. I must tell you that I'm not enchanted with this solution, as buying apps is not my first priority and that by my investigations EVERYTHING work without problem. The Operator at the top left corner is "Orange France" and Orange told me that there's no problem with the ROW stuff on their network. I can use it without risk of having a huge bill!
    yeah of course no risk, in the end its just a plain gsm phone that does a lot of data. make sure you own the proper data plan and its no different to any other smartphone.

but the "service" by palm/hp differs, especially the ones they offer together with certain carriers like the app catalog

What is worrying me now is this OTA thing you tell me: if my phone cannot upgrade, THIS is not good at all! Actually, at launch it has upgraded the AppCatalog to its latest version, so I can't see a reason for it not to upgrade the OS as well ^^

If someone has some info on weither I will have an european app catalog someday or not, je suis preneur
    someone living as "row" too should be able to answer that question, and i am not sure about it at all, i only know that ota updates have a dependency to the carriers, but it could as well be that you receive it first being carrier indepenent...

and even if it turns out you dont get them (but as said i dont know) you still can doctor the phone to a new version being subject to some data you would have to backup and restore manually.
    yeah of course no risk, in the end its just a plain gsm phone that does a lot of data. make sure you own the proper data plan and its no different to any other smartphone.
    Not sure if it is irony here ^^

As for the doctor thing, I went to the web os doctor page and there is only one Veer rom from AT&T. Not sure if I should use it?

GuyFromNam had the same problem as me, having $ in appcatalog and american credit card only, and then someday it changed to pounds and UK credit card. Did he do something special or can this happen to me too ??
    The Veer can be had for as little as 288 Euro. You really should not buy at o2online.de
    HP Veer | Geizhals.at Deutschland

I'm waiting for the white one... My Pre is dying very fast.
    You bought a white one in Europa ? Where ?
    I'm waiting for it to pop up somewhere
    Ok, my mistake :P
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234