Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Hi everyone,

Two days ago my Hp veer did arrive.

But since yesterday, after barley 24h use of the hp veer, my screen keeps getting black outs.

When I open an App, or inside an app, or just browsing trough the cards the screen suddenly fall into black.

The blacklight is on, but there is no image in the screen. After 1/2/3/4 times pressing the power button it give the image on the screen and I can unlock the screen.

But the problem keep returning.

Can someone help me with this?
    Have you tried just restarting?
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    yes,

even with symb R withe button

Did screentest too.
    Unless you've been doing patches or other non-stock things, I'd say you have yourself a defective Veer.
    You might try Erase apps and Data under the restart options in Device info. I've seen that fix some spooky things before. Also keep on mind that if you have a lot of accounts to sync, things will be a little slow the first day or so.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    It is a known problem, a lot of people have complained about it in forums or best buy website. I say get a new phone.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    This happened to me too. For some unknown reason, the Veer just dropped into a black screen. The Veer was still working (I accidentally managed to call someone using Voice Dial at 11pm at night - woops!), but nothing on the screen. I ended up having to leave the device for roughly 24 hours, upon which I plugged it into my computer, and I got the HP logo. After that, I doctored, and I haven't had the problem since.

I think it might have something to do with patches... I haven't installed Preware again this time, and I haven't had the problem again.
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    This happened to me too. For some unknown reason, the Veer just dropped into a black screen. The Veer was still working (I accidentally managed to call someone using Voice Dial at 11pm at night - woops!), but nothing on the screen. I ended up having to leave the device for roughly 24 hours, upon which I plugged it into my computer, and I got the HP logo. After that, I doctored, and I haven't had the problem since.

I think it might have something to do with patches... I haven't installed Preware again this time, and I haven't had the problem again.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Very Strange indeed.

The guy van Hp Palm support clearly told me I was the first to report. (whaha)

I've used webOs docter twice, but id did'nt fix it. I thouhgt is would be my profile so after 2nd time WebOs docter I started in dev mode without profile. Which did no good to me too, still screen issue, black screen with no image, but background led was running though.

So I decided to ship my Veer back to US.

While waiting on RMA I signed in my profile to have a working phone till RMA was dispatched to me.

I did some testing in de device info,
    1. Quick test
    2. All interactive tests (button test was important I guess)

After that the problem was GONE!

Its been 24h since the last screen black out.

This makes me think it is an Software issue. Is there a way to determine this
    Quote Originally Posted by Beninho View Post
    1. Quick test
    2. All interactive tests (button test was important I guess)

After that the problem was GONE!
    would be very cool when others suffering the issue could verify on exactly that point, especially if it didnt help
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    would be very cool when others suffering the issue could verify on exactly that point, especially if it didnt help
    You mean

Would be very cool if other users suffering this issue could verify this "plausible fix".

1. Doctor your Veer
    2. Do not sign in but #*3386633# to get to dev mode
    3. Go to device info --> preferences --> tests
    4. Do all the tests available.
    5. Reset your phone with a quick reset from device info (Erase Apps & Data)
    6. Let your Veer reboot
    7. Sign in to your palm profile
    8. Post in this tread if it helped or not.
    eerh... i was focused on top 3/4 as your last post sounded like that was what did the trick:

3. Go to device info --> preferences --> tests
    4. Do all the tests available.
    in my thinking it sounds plausible as it might "calibrate" the proximity sensor or the like?
    From my experience it is a screw up with the proximity sensor. It is a hardware problem no Doctoring or anything in the software side will fix it. When you do the test it will say your proximity sensor works. Which it does it just works too well. Switching the phone worked wonders. I now have no more black screens.

edit: Just to update I had done the tests and the interactive tests and I had no improvement. But I was getting the black screen specifically around phone calls where the screen would not turn back to operable when I took it away from my ear. Nothing helped so I could never hang up a call. Did not happen with every call.
    Last edited by riw; 06/27/2011 at 08:15 PM.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I'll ship my phone back, today.

I encounter the same problems with the random black-outs again, I think it is 100% random and has something to do with hardware.

Think the testing and the succes of that was just temp. and more a leap of good luck than a real fix.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    It is a known problem, a lot of people have complained about it in forums or best buy website. I say get a new phone.
    Can you provide me sources of this?
    Ex HP webOS Tech Support

5Ts: Five ways to get your webOS tablet working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/5Ts

6Ts: Six ways to get your webOS phone working again: http://www.hpwebos.com/6Ts
    Hi everyone,

Two days ago my Hp veer did arrive.

But since yesterday, after barley 24h use of the hp veer, my screen keeps getting black outs.

When I open an App, or inside an app, or just browsing trough the cards the screen suddenly fall into black.

The blacklight is on, but there is no image in the screen. After 1/2/3/4 times pressing the power button it give the image on the screen and I can unlock the screen.

But the problem keep returning.

Can someone help me with this?
    Quote Originally Posted by craigp View Post

Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    From my experience it is a screw up with the proximity sensor. It is a hardware problem no Doctoring or anything in the software side will fix it. When you do the test it will say your proximity sensor works. Which it does it just works too well. Switching the phone worked wonders. I now have no more black screens.

edit: Just to update I had done the tests and the interactive tests and I had no improvement. But I was getting the black screen specifically around phone calls where the screen would not turn back to operable when I took it away from my ear. Nothing helped so I could never hang up a call. Did not happen with every call.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardBeatZ View Post
    Can you provide me sources of this?
    Here are three different people in this very forum saying they have the same problem, I have read other threads as well in the forums as well. I think this is a good enough for a ticket number or should I try searching for more people complaining about it?
    another one by member passlogix
    I went to the mall last saturday and while my wife was shopping around, I stopped by AT&T store and try to play with Veer while I was waiting for my wife. Funny thing is that they had one black Veer, and it had the same issue. Power was on, and you can see the little led indicator, everytime I touch it with gesture, it was indicator the touch I made. But the screen is just not turning on. So I tried to reset it, but didn't work. Finally this sales person walked over, and he told me that it was their second Veer had same issue, they only got two I guess. So he said until they get the new shipment, they have no Veer on display. I wonder what is wrong with this problem with Veer.
    It happened to me on my first Veer with no patches, so I don't believe it has anything to do with patches. I returned the phone within the 30-day window. Afterward I had remorse and bought another one. That one did not have any blackouts, however the R key was defective so I exchanged it. Now on the third and final Veer, still no blackouts and I have Preware, patches, etc, and still no blackouts. My feeling is that the first one had a hardware issue and the proximity sensor sounds logical to me. I'm loving the Veer and this time I will be keeping it.
    Quote Originally Posted by orange-man View Post
    It happened to me on my first Veer with no patches, so I don't believe it has anything to do with patches. I returned the phone within the 30-day window. Afterward I had remorse and bought another one. That one did not have any blackouts, however the R key was defective so I exchanged it. Now on the third and final Veer, still no blackouts and I have Preware, patches, etc, and still no blackouts. My feeling is that the first one had a hardware issue and the proximity sensor sounds logical to me. I'm loving the Veer and this time I will be keeping it.
    you know I never returned my pre plus and i tell you the keyboard is horrible. I am so glad you got it exchanged, it not worth having a bad keyboard.
    I want to know whether the flex cable problem?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast