Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456
    So no change from before - no-one at Palm knows the real answer.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Yes I think so.......
    Anyway I will try to use Impostah and follow my previous procedure for Veer when I got my Pre 3 next week (or end of this week?) So.....wish me good luck.......
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Yes I think so.......
    Anyway I will try to use Impostah and follow my previous procedure for Veer when I got my Pre 3 next week (or end of this week?) So.....wish me good luck.......
    PM me if you want to be able to provide some debug information before taking that step that might help your chances of success.

-- Rod
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    It is ridiculous that the App Catlog cannot cope with a webOS owner moving from one official country to another.

I can't believe that it would be so difficult to re-code the initialisation to provide a facility to reset the country and credit card details and ask for new "official" country and credit card details.
    Quote Originally Posted by johncc View Post
    It is ridiculous that the App Catlog cannot cope with a webOS owner moving from one official country to another.

I can't believe that it would be so difficult to re-code the initialisation to provide a facility to reset the country and credit card details and ask for new "official" country and credit card details.
    I'm sure it's not a technical implementation issue that is preventing this.

-- Rod
    Where have all posts by 'GuyFromNam' in this thread disappeared? Also, why has the content of the opening post been edited out?

PS: This seems to be trend with posts by 'GuyFromNam' in many threads.
    Pre3 (AT&T meta-doctored to ROW) webOS 2.2.4 build 3175
    TouchPad WiFi (32GB) - webOS 3.0.5 build 86
    App Catalog (US) - Vodafone (India)

Treo 180 > 270 > 600 > 650 > 680 > Pre+ > Pre2 > Pre+ > Pre3 & tPad
    But you were gone for a week or two now, not since yesterday.
  8. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    You can use Impostah to create a new profile in any launch country.
    I'm located in Germany and want to purchase some apps that are only available in the US AppCat, because the developers are too lazy or too stupid to make them available worldwide (I asked several times for it).

I will get a not yet activated TouchPad from a friend, my thought was to activate it for the US AppCat but put my german credit card, put an old Pre to this profile, purchase the apps, save the IPK or the binaries and copy them over to my normal Pre.

Will this work?

Is there a way to save the downloaded IPK before it gets installed and deleted from the device?

And most important, if I have activated the TouchPad for the US AppCat once, can I delete/redoctor/or what ever the TouchPad and create a new profile with the German AppCat after it restarts fully cleaned?

I already know these two articles, but they were not that helpfull for me:

Bypass Activation [webOS 2.x] | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net
    App Catalog Geo-Restrictions a thing of the past? | The #1 HP webOS, TouchPad, Pre, and Veer Community | PreCentral.net

Thanks a lot for any suggestions,

thg
    You need a US Credit Card for US AppCat.

Check out usunlocked.com for a US CC
  10. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    You need a US Credit Card for US AppCat.
    OK, too bad, but I think I will have a possibility to enter a US Credit Card for the purchase.

So still my two other questions:

Is there a way to save the downloaded IPK before it gets installed and deleted from the device?

And most important, if I have activated the TouchPad for the US AppCat once, can I delete/redoctor/or what ever the TouchPad and create a new profile with the German AppCat after it restarts fully cleaned?

Thanks a lot,

thg
    Quote Originally Posted by thg View Post
    Consider what other purposes that information would be used for, and whether webOS devs would like that posted here ...

-- Rod
  12. thg
    Global Posts
    261 Global Posts
    Hi Rod,

Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    Consider what other purposes that information would be used for, and whether webOS devs would like that posted here ...
    hmm, you think the world is so bad?

Well probably you are right when I see my colleague who bought the TouchPads only because they where cheap and is not willing to spend even one Euro into great software :-(

So I will not publish the resultsof my researches, too bad :-(

Thanks anyway,

thg
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Just got my UK Pre 3 off ebay.

Unfortunately my "new" device was previously activated in the UK and my App Catalog is UK restricted. Is there a petition to sign somewhere against thls stupid geo restriction policy? Why didn't Palm handle this with a general user agreement, or even one per app?

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Current Tablets: Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 183825U; HP TouchPad 32GB w/ACL
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Link it to a TouchPad.
    Really?

Thanks but don't have one... as yet, and my friends are Apple *******.

Can you link me to the procedure? I've been searching and reading about this restriction and getting really frustrated...

Thanks!

Sent from my ThinkPad Tablet using Tapatalk
    Current Phones: Unlocked AT&T Pre3; Samsung Galaxy Nexus i9250; HTC Desire A8181
    Previous Devices: Unlocked UK Pre3; HTC Touch Diamond; Palm Unlocked GSM Treo 680; PalmOne Unlocked GSM 650; Palm Tungsten T3 w/PalmOne WiFi Card, PowerToGo and ASUS WL-330g; 3Com Palm III; Sony Clie N760C
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    My App Catalog was successfully changed from UK to US!!!

Background: See three posts up. Note that I'm a long-time PalmOS user but this is my first webOS device (because it is unlocked blah blah blah...).

Anyway, after reading all of the difficulties (and impossibility) associated with getting the localization of the App catalog changed, I noticed a post where an Aussie purchased his Pre3 from Expansys of Hong Kong and it arrived localized at HK. He successfully got Palm to change it for him to AUS. I decided to give it a shot. After all, it was a legitimate request.

After 45mins of chatting while the rep. verified my account status and device S/N, he successfully changed the localization from UK to US. I verified and successfully purchased "Forums (powered by Tapatalk)"!

My mother always said that "honesty was the best policy..."...
    Last edited by eKeith; 10/03/2011 at 03:45 PM.
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456