Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    None of my Profile has credit card linked.

I have:
    1. 2X UK Profile created on Pre-, it stays on Pre- ever since
    2. UK Profile created on Pre-, using on my Pre 2
    3. UK Profile created by Impostah

All of them shows UK Paid-app as my Pre 2 is first activated in the UK.
    All of them EXCEPT the one created by Impostah shows UK Paid-app on Veer. The UK Profile created by Impostah shows US Paid-app.

On Palm 'Manage Device' Website, all of the Profiles shows 'Country' as United Kingdom.

Rod,

Can I do it on Pre 2? If not, I have to wait until I get home tonight.
    Thx
    Last edited by kiukiukiu; 07/10/2011 at 08:25 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    None of my Profiles has credit card linked.

I have:
    1. 2X UK Profile created on Pre-, it stays on Pre- ever since
    2. UK Profile created on Pre-, using on my Pre 2
    3. UK Profile created by Impostah

All of them shows UK Paid-app as my Pre 2 is first activated in the UK.
    All of them EXCEPT the one created by Impostah shows UK Paid-app on Veer. The UK Profile created by Impostah shows US Paid-app.

On Palm 'Manage Device' Website, all of the Profiles shows 'Country' as United Kingdom.

Rod,

Can I do it on Pre 2? If not, I have to wait until I get home tonight.
    Thx
    What I'll want to know is the information in palm.com/palmprofile for each profile, and the information shown in Impostah for paid apps access, app catalog country, and a save of the authentication info when you log into each profile using impostah on the veer.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    To make safe, I will do it tonight on the Veer
    Rod

Please check PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Rod

Please check PM
    Can't see anything wrong in those, sorry.

-- Rod
    WebOS Internals and Preware Founder and Developer
    You may wish to donate by Paypal to donations @ webos-internals.org if you find our work useful.
    All donations go back into development.
    www.webos-internals.org twitter.com/webosinternals facebook.com/webosinternals
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Was thinking something, when you enter your Veer serial number in the Palm website, it tell you instantly the model and the operator it came with. In my case it says a US AT&T Veer. It's quite easy then to lock or not the App Catalog on a specific country, HP doesn't really have to check the country your profile is linked to. I wouldn't be surprised that the ones who got their European profile working finally on a DE Veer was because HP connected correctly their DE Veer serial number to the right App Catalog, better than changing something in the profile. When you give them your email address (the one in the profile) they can easily check what is the serial number of the phone in your profile.
    That could explain also why the refuse to connect my UK profile to a EU App Catalog officially because my Veer is US.

Pure speculation... But tried changing my model, operator via impostah to the DE values, relogged in with my UK profile and still recognised as US App Catalog customer. The only things that weren't changed were my serial number, software version and IMEI (obviously).

Ka.
    In that case it might be possible to switch of override the imei and serialnumber in impostah. Perhaps I could exchange them with my old German Pre phone.....

Probably to good to be true...
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    override the imei and serialnumber
    Achtung, as a DE Veer would say, messing with Model Numbers, Serials is only messing with Palm. They might not be happy about it but nothing illegal. Faking IMEIs (even if you own both phones) is considered illegal in some countries.

Ka.
    Indeed it is... Yet we are driven to madness with these restrictions

EDIT: Ive just tried to search for an app in the appcatalog... I'm getting all garbled price information and app names.. Something is changing? Which HP rep is messing with my device?

I hope I don't lose already paid apps...
    Yeah, but now it's back to dollars...

What up?
    Here's my combination:

I created a US profile on a 32gb touchpad and linked the app catalog to a Canadian credit card.

Using Impostah I Iogged into my touchpad profile on a geo restricted Palm Pre plus (running webOS 2.1.0.) and to my surprise I had access to the app catalog again (wouldn't even load for the past few months)

and PAID apps!!

I've probably had my Palm Pre plus for 2 years and have NEVER been able to buy an app...

Finally!!! ... I can give the developers and (sorry Palm) HP my money

I posted about this accidental discovery before finding this thread:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-touc...at-access.html

That geat thing is that I can use a Canadian credit card to pay for US apps on my pre and touchpad. Is there something different with the newer touchpad profiles themselves? I always thought that you had to use a US credit card with a zip code assigned to it??

- Dan
    Last edited by nachuman; 07/16/2011 at 03:22 PM. Reason: typos
    Quote Originally Posted by nachuman View Post
    Here's my combination:

I created a US profile on a 32gb touchpad and linked the app catalog to a Canadian credit card.

Using Impostah I Iogged into my touchpad profile on a geo restricted Palm Pre plus (running webOS 2.1.0.) and to my surprise I had access to the app catalog again (wouldn't even load for the past few months)

and PAID apps!!

I've probably had my Palm Pre plus for 2 years and have NEVER been able to buy an app...

Finally!!! ... I can give the developers and (sorry Palm) HP my money

I posted about this accidental discovery before finding this thread:

[URL]

That geat thing is that I can use a Canadian credit card to pay for US apps on my pre and touchpad. Is there something different with the newer touchpad profiles themselves? I always thought that you had to use a US credit card with a zip code assigned to it??

- Dan
    Canada and US are the same as far as HP app catalog payments methods go.

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Ah, was this always the case? Or has this changed since HP took over the catalog?

thanks,

- Dan
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post

-- Rod
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    One thing missing: where did you activate that Pre Plus for the first time.
    Why do you consider it geo-restricted?

This was on a US AT&T Palm Pre plus that was unlocked and activated in Canada using a Rogers sim card (Doh!).

I'm probably using the wrong wording... It was activated in Canada without using a US sim card... so I was able to see the catalog, but was never able to purchase apps.

Because of my geographical location when I activated the phone, and the fact that I used a Canadian sim card... I was... "geo-restricted"...??

thanks,

- Dan
    There have been many instances of people not having access to paid apps on a certain correctly activated device, and all of a sudden getting access after a Full Erase, either by logging into their own profile or creating a new one.
    Nope, It was incorrectly activated... by Palm's standards...

- Dan
    Just had success with this.

I've got a Pre 2 (activated in Australia on Telstra, so has never had paid app access) and a Veer (activated using Impostah, has paid app access). Used Impostah on the Pre 2 to log in to the profile I created on the Veer, and paid app access is there.
    No it wasn't. Canada is a great country (also to activate Palm phones).
    All you probably needed to do all this time is what I wrote above (Full Erase).
    Are you saying now?... Or 2 years ago?

I have done a full erase on this device before... so that solution did not work for me. At least it didn't before...

thanks,

- Dan
    I'm saying always. Perhaps with another profile. Perhaps you were terribly unlucky.
    Canadian profiles seem to have a history of being problematic.
    Well in any case, there are solutions now and it seems that geo restrictions are going to be a thing of that past...

Finally!!

- Dan
    Just talk to Palm support

9:50 AM Shawn:
    Thank you for contacting HP webOS customer support. Please give me a moment to review the info you provided.
    9:50 AM
    I am using a Pre 2 with UK Paid app access located in the UK
    9:51 AM Me:
    However I am recently relocated to Hong Kong and my Pre 3 is coming the Hong Kong by my friend next week
    9:52 AM Me:
    if I activate my Pre 3 in Hong Kong with my current UK profile, will I still get access to UK paid app catalog?
    9:52 AM Me:
    Thanks
    9:53 AM Shawn:
    Can I have Five minutes to work on this issue?
    9:53 AM Me:
    Sure! Take your time
    10:00 AM Shawn:
    Thank you, I appreciate your patience.
    10:00 AM Shawn:
    Sorry for delay.
    10:01 AM Shawn:
    You will be able to login to your UK profile and you can see only HongKong free app.
    10:01 AM Shawn:
    You will be not able to see any Paid app in App catalog.
    10:01 AM Me:
    Then what about the App I have purchased from the UK App Catalog?
    10:04 AM Shawn:
    You will be not able to use Paid app which you have downloaded.
    10:04 AM Me:
    Ok thanks a lot! I have no more question
    Each phone is associated with a specific country. The country is assigned automatically the first time a Palm profile is created on the phone.
    The App Catalog apps you can access are based on the country associated with the phone.
    10:05 AM Me:
    ok Thanks for your time
    10:05 AM Shawn:
    The country is based on the location of the wireless service provider network you used to create the phone’s first Palm profile.
    10:05 AM Shawn:
    For example, if your wireless service provider is in the Germany but you were in France when you created the phone’s first Palm profile, the phone is associated with France, not Germany.
    10:06 AM Shawn:
    You’re welcome. Is there anything else I can help you with?
    10:06 AM Me:
    But I am not creating a profile, I just re-logon to my existing profile. Does it make any difference?
    10:06 AM Shawn:
    Yes it will.
    10:07 AM Me:
    So the case you just said is only for newly created Profile?
    10:08 AM Shawn:
    You are not able to use Paid app if you change the country.
    10:09 AM Me:
    So the country of my Profile will change according to where I logon?
    10:09 AM Shawn:
    In both case new or existing Palm Profile.
    10:10 AM Me:
    Ok it is clear ow
    10:10 AM Me:
    thanks for your time
    10:10 AM Shawn:
    No your country still shows you Uk.
    10:10 AM Shawn:
    But you will be not able to use paid app.
    I think his answer is not 100% accurate. Just for reference anyway........
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast