Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Erased all apps and data, logged in with my UK profile, at least it's the original one.

Will either check for people selling a Pre (EU) or maybe try flashing my 160UNA with 160UEU when it comes available? Could that change the list of displayed countries?
    We'll see...

Ka.
    So, I've flashed my pre- back to webOS 1.4 and created a new profile. Set it to UK-English. Put my simcard back in the veer, loaded up Impostah and used it to log into the just created profile. According to Impostah, I can't access the app catalog and my country is set to NL.

I then created a new profile on my Veer....Set the country and Language to UK English. According to Impostah I then have paid app catalog access. But only in the USA.....

Perhaps your Veer was glitchy? Not getting any changes here.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    1) White Veer
    2) Black Veer
    Got here from the States. I used Impostah to log into a UK profile, and it showed the UK AppCat with prices in pounds.
    European credit card linked to this profile.
    So, the new more open app cat will still accept Dutch credit cards? Independently of UK, Germany, France, Ireland or Spain location? That sounds promising for my future TouchPad.
    Uuuh, I believe it did that already. Not sure, but it said so in the WebOS internals thread.
    In the paid apps via Impostah thread it says payment options can be selected on a per country basis. If that information is correct a Dutch credit card should work? Why would such a selection be needed if only launch country credit cards are accepted...

More interesting, how do you pay for your apps purchased in the UK app catalog?

Edit: Well you are the guy from nam world famous for the webos update

On a more serious note, I can't reproduce your results. Either my Veer is on a different switch then yours
    Interesting....

I'm on a third (or is it 4th )created account. This time after I used impostah to reset my palm profile. I'm now logged in to a test account created with impostah on my Veer. Can't access any paid apps anymore.

Created a new account again using Impostah, setting country to German. When I go back to check which country it is set to, it says US.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Same here...

GuyFromNam, did you change Regional Settings to something like UK before creating the profile with Impostah?

That's the last test I could do to reproduce your results, but got Friday and hardly used my Veer, been more resetting it than using it

Thanks,
    Ka.
    FWIW, *something* changed for 1.4.x as well - I recently started using my first Pre again (has a slight crack, but my second Pre stopped working alltogether...). The first Pre was activated in the Netherlands, second one abroad. First never had any paid apps, second one had (from memory) the German one.

When starting up the old Pre, I used the account I had linked to the second pre, and lo and behold - I now have access to paid apps on my old pre. As that had bummed me out when I had just that Pre, I'm pretty sure I tried everything back then to get access to a paid catalog...

It is a slightly weird catalog though: the featured apps include German ones, but no sign of either Spotify or the Hotspot app (which I had downloaded on my second pre)
    I know that you sold me that one ;-) Just hoping that would be the last one I need to buy outside regular channels. Waiting for the Pre3...
    Repaired already once before (I sat on it in the wrong way, huge crack) - replaced the screen. Now some contact has gone off, most of the time screen won't come on. With the Pre3 coming up, and the old one have a more sane app catalog, it isn't too bad...
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Anybody knows what makes the phone ask at first boot either for "English and Spanish" or "English and other European languages"?

I checked the webosdoctor contents for the Veer, it seems to contain all the languages the Webos is actually capable of using, including French and German.

Still, this Veer "knows" it's US and only asks to choose between English or Spanish.
    Now... If I knew what it checks and compares too, I could maybe try to turn this "rom" into a EU one. Maybe by changing P160UNA into P160EUE? That would be too simple, considering the string P160UNA is found nowhere in the rom itself (after unpacking everything).

I do know that Impostah can override that. Would be curious to know what happens by doing that. Shouldn't be even that illegal to do it, not like messing with IMEI or such.

You see GuyFromNam, somehow either your UK profile or Veers are special, and so you

I did exactly what you did, seller told me that he unlocked (and no activation done) via the same service "you're friend with"... Which btw seems to be pretty nice as delivers an unlock code. Still, I don't get the same results.

Somewhere our UK profiles must be different. Is it linked to the SIM used when creating the profile? Who knows... Would be really curious to dig into this better but I'm off tomorrow for a few days business trip... I'll keep reading but can't test much while abroad.

Thanks,
    Ka.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Oki, not in bed yet.
    Been looking a little more on what you said GuyFromNam. When the app catalog is based on the Locale, the initial "Language / Country" thing could be based on that too.

By checking language-assistant.jsjsjs $I$ $see$ $that$ $getLanguagesList$ $calls$ $AppAssistant$.$accountService$.$getLanguages$ $to$ $retrieve$ $the$ $list$ $of$ $supported$ $languages$ $based$ $on$ $current$ $locale$.

Languagepicker-assistant contains the getLanguagesList function which calls the getPreferenceValues method to retrieve the locale. It then builds a list of supported Countries and Languages.

By default, a US Veer is on en_US as locale. Hence US language selection. Does it make sense?

So, my next test is... A silly one probably but I'll try this:
    reset once more with a feeling
    Dev Mode first-use
    then I set the Regional Settings to UK
    Then I either run "first use" or try by creating the profile with Impostah and country UK.

We'll see,
    Ka.
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    yep, but if initial country selection is based on locale... And default is en_US...
    As I wrote in the front-page discussion:
    It's good that they are working on it but why not try to do it right? The obvious set up should be:
    * have all apps by default be available on all devices and profiles
    * make it possible to carrier (and perhaps geo) restrict special apps, like navigation software and spotify
    * accept any universal card (visa, mastercard, amex) from any country PLUS paypal, like all other online stores (why do you make it complicated to allow us to give you money??)
    * give the user the possibility to filter by language and geo, like "I don't speak french and am not interested UK specific apps (London subway etc)"

At least get rid of the notion that the user must choose one path or another at creation time. People do move.

I just don't understand why they would make such a strange geo-restriction removal. Tim wrote that it was because of laws and taxes, but I find that hard to believe.
    1. Why can I buy from any number of online stores, including the old brighthand store for palmOS-apps, and not from HP?
    2. Even if they messed up their license or something, preventing them to just open up the app store there is no reason why they treat the EU as different countries. From a legal standpoint it is a common market.

If Tim or anyone else can explain why HP, out of all companies, is legally prevented from selling apps to me in Sweden, I would be surprised but enlightened!

This is extremely frustrating and frankly gives a bad perspective on HP. This is a half-assed solution Palm might have wrangled through because they just didn't have the capacity and resources to do it right, but HP?
    I think HP is still in the process of correcting the app catalog from the mess Palm had it. I would not be surprised to see more changes and tweaks going forward.

They have many priorities and deadlines to make right now. I am thinking making changes to the app cat in stages is a good idea. They had to have international paid apps for TP launch.... They are still working on the enterprise stuff, etc.

Also look at how much misinformation is still floated around here about just the feed removals, and that it was the end of homebrew and all this other BS.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    55 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by KallistiMan View Post
    I just don't understand why they would make such a strange geo-restriction removal. Tim wrote that it was because of laws and taxes, but I find that hard to believe.
    More likely it was a silly mistake by Palm's accounting / lawyers, which is hard to move out of - There are many different agreements and such that would be affected. Of course, we (Swedes) can buy anything anywhere and it was never a problem before. I was a Palm customer since way back, and Palm never really "got" the international thing. Sales were ok in the US and that was enough... I recall helping their engineers understanding GPRS way back when, they had no clue (before there were any GSM networks in the US)...

1. Why can I buy from any number of online stores, including the old brighthand store for palmOS-apps, and not from HP?
    2. Even if they messed up their license or something, preventing them to just open up the app store there is no reason why they treat the EU as different countries. From a legal standpoint it is a common market.
    Not quite. Taxes, VAT rates and other regulations are still LOCAL in the EU, even if the ultimate goal is to have common policies for all member states.

If Tim or anyone else can explain why HP, out of all companies, is legally prevented from selling apps to me in Sweden, I would be surprised but enlightened!

This is extremely frustrating and frankly gives a bad perspective on HP. This is a half-assed solution Palm might have wrangled through because they just didn't have the capacity and resources to do it right, but HP?
    I agree! I even called and emailed HP Sweden & HP UK and asked them to take my Pre2 back - When I bought it from the UK webstore nobody told me I would only get access to free apps... If this was in Sweden, the consumer protection laws would have forced them to take it back. They of course refused. I've written HP/Palm support too, and I keep making the same point on line whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I suggest everyone who doesn't have access to paid apps does the same.

This is lawyers trying to make themselves important and relevant, nothing more.
    Quote Originally Posted by LazPL View Post
    More likely it was a silly mistake by Palm's accounting / lawyers, which is hard to move out of - There are many different agreements and such that would be affected. Of course, we (Swedes) can buy anything anywhere and it was never a problem before.
    Yes, I was buying apps from Sweden on pocketgear, brighthand and others, as well as buying other software still to this day online.
    I was a Palm customer since way back, and Palm never really "got" the international thing. Sales were ok in the US and that was enough... I recall helping their engineers understanding GPRS way back when, they had no clue (before there were any GSM networks in the US)...
    I got in on the T|T (actually a Handspring before that) when it was still fairly to get devices in Sweden. Before the messy introduction of cellular standards.
    Not quite. Taxes, VAT rates and other regulations are still LOCAL in the EU, even if the ultimate goal is to have common policies for all member states.
    Well, it's true that taxes are national, however it is a common market.
    • VAT is national but actually has to be a minimum level based on an EU directive
    • VAT between countries is very regulated, if you are VAT-exempt in one country it is valid in all countries, using your national VAT number. So VAT is no obstacle to commerce between countries
    • Online consumer protection law (i.e. Distansköplagen, § 13 BGB in Germany) is also national, but based on one EU directive, which makes them almost identical
    • It is illegal for a company to discriminate based on the buyer being from another country
    • Electronic device certification is common (i.e. CE marking)
    • Hazardous and/or chemical materials are banned on EU level
    • etc

So in the relevant aspects the EU is actually already a common market, not just striving towards it! But companies seem to ignore that sometimes and I'm not sure its feasible to sue them to get to buy their products At least not until we have something equivalent to class action suits in EU.

I agree! I even called and emailed HP Sweden & HP UK and asked them to take my Pre2 back - When I bought it from the UK webstore nobody told me I would only get access to free apps... If this was in Sweden, the consumer protection laws would have forced them to take it back. They of course refused. I've written HP/Palm support too, and I keep making the same point on line whenever the opportunity presents itself.

I suggest everyone who doesn't have access to paid apps does the same.

This is lawyers trying to make themselves important and relevant, nothing more.
    Exactly! As I said I have not seen any arguments substantiating that it is necessary for them to do it like this... I'm sure we even have regulations in WTO covering thus, and going back to basics we have the United Nations Convention on Contracts for the International Sale of Goods of which USA and Sweden are signatories
    So is not only for Veer?also Pre 2 and Pre-?
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Hi guys!

I have my Palm Pre2 straight from HP. I activated the device using Polish simcard around 2 weeks ago. I`m able to see only free apps in AppCatalog. What should I do in order to see all the apps? I`ve already installed impostah. Which option should i use?

Thanks!
    Global Posts
    6 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Read and weep. And hope HP lifts geo-restrictions on 2.x in the near future.

http://forums.precentral.net/worldwi...trictions.html

What language settings did you use for your profile?
    I selected United States and English language. Hmmm... so is it possible to use Impostah and get paid apps? I have to create new profile?

Thanks!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast