Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree1Likes
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    Finally installed preware and going to play with patches.

Common sense says the patches marked "Veer" in their name should be a pretty good bet to work with the Veer, like for example "Advanced Systems Menus -- App Menu (Veer)".

Has that been everyone's experience?
    Have heard several people say they had issues after that particular patch, despite Veer in the name. Be cautious, make backups.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    Ohh just thought, newsroom is the RSS APP I use

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Newsroom works well on the Veer.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Have heard several people say they had issues after that particular patch, despite Veer in the name. Be cautious, make backups.
    Haven't noticed any issues, but haven't noticed anything at all with that particular patch. Seems from my eye nothing changed, so I removed.

I also noticed that "Advanced Systems Menus -- Device Menu (Veer)" tells you that the Framework patch is also required and gives you the option to install it at the same time, as it should, but doesn't seem to actually install the Framework. I went back in to Preware after restarting Luna and had it install separately, and so far Device Menu seems to work as advertised. The only thing I have noticed is it seems touching the time no longer lowers the menu, only touching over near the battery gauge. But that might just be my fat fingers and small sample size (I only just did it today).

Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Newsroom works well on the Veer.
    Thanks. I will check it out. Hopeful of doing most of my RSS reading on my touchpad starting in a few days so less important, but disappointed to see Scoop seemingly disappear from what I can tell.
  4.    #24  
    Gonna be weird starting all over with patching... Looking forward to getting into the 2.x OS features.

How is mode switcher working? I will miss not having the advanced menu for it.

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I would advise staying away from "Advanced Systems Menus -- Device Menu (Veer)".
    This evening it and FreeTether were the only patches/add ons installed on my Veer. I continued to have the problem mentioned earlier where touching the time does not give you the menu. I also noticed the lock disappeared... turning the power on off-charger turned the device on, instead of bringing up the locked screen. And most distressingly I had flakiness I have not seen previously... cards that froze on the top of the screen and would not go away, and the gesture area not coming up with a normal swipe.

I can't say for sure any of this was caused by the patch, but as I said it and freetether is all I had installed and I doubt it was freetether. Also since uninstalling it and the framework it has been business as usual.

Maybe we can all get patched together in 3.0? For now I am staying away, at least for a bit, to keep things clean for when the Touchpad comes.
  6.    #26  
    Good to know, I was slow to patch the Pre's (started patching right away but took my time getting deep into it). Think I will take my time getting used to the new OS and I always test patches on my phone before the wife's, so I will only mess with my phone to start anyways.

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I am still unclear about what is going to happen with 3.0. I am not a developer, only a user, but my understanding is 3.0 is a different world, and it is also my understanding that at some point (hopefully soon) the Veer will be brought up to 3.x to fully play nicely with the TouchPad, etc. So maybe at that point given all the differences it will be good not to be too patched, or all of the patching we have done on 2.1.2 will be moot. But I could be wrong.

Also hopefully once the Pre3 is out and everyone is on 3.x there should be a lot more interest in writing patches for it and making it all work, and hopefully most things will be universal Veer/Pre3/etc.

Or also possible I am totally mistaken about all of this...
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Paper basketball plus works on the veer and its a one package for all current devices deal. So if you buy it on a pre, then move to a veer or a touchpad, it will work and be resized and use HD graphics and add back buttons and stuff.

Link in sig.
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
  9.    #29  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    Paper basketball plus works on the veer and its a one package for all current devices deal. So if you buy it on a pre, then move to a veer or a touchpad, it will work and be resized and use HD graphics and add back buttons and stuff.

Link in sig.
    I saw you post that somewhere else, just for that I will be purchasing a copy, I have the free version.
    Global Posts
    219 Global Posts
    Hope you like the full version! If you do, would you be so kind as to leave a review? Thanks!
    Check out Paper Basketball Plus! A toss it / paper toss style game with achievements, timed mode, moving targets and more! Buy 1 app, use it on pixi / veer / pre / touchpad all in full resolution! It's neat. I swear. For reals.

http://bit.ly/moZYOq
  11.    #31  
    Quote Originally Posted by tacroy View Post
    Hope you like the full version! If you do, would you be so kind as to leave a review? Thanks!
    Most definitely, I always try to review my paid apps.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    Anyone using Preset Reset? Haven't really noticed my Veer get to bogged down but it always seemed like a good idea on the Pre-. I am paranoid about how something like that used overnight might get along with Exhibition mode, but going to give it a shot.
  13. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I have also found NFSU is not listed as Pixi/Veer compatible
    So what is the deal with NFSU? I bought it for the Pre, but it didn't transfer to the Veer (I assumed it wasn't available on that size), but I see it in the catalog now. Do I have to re-buy it?

If it is available why didn't it just come over like the other apps?
    Maybe a Pixi size version so the catalog says it is different?

On a side note I got a TouchPad and also don't see NFSU in my profile.
    This is making me think the dev wants you to repurchase it.
    How do I confirm that is the case and not a bug for HP?
    Quote Originally Posted by lougw View Post
    I am still unclear about what is going to happen with 3.0. I am not a developer, only a user, but my understanding is 3.0 is a different world, and it is also my understanding that at some point (hopefully soon) the Veer will be brought up to 3.x to fully play nicely with the TouchPad, etc. So maybe at that point given all the differences it will be good not to be too patched, or all of the patching we have done on 2.1.2 will be moot. But I could be wrong.

Also hopefully once the Pre3 is out and everyone is on 3.x there should be a lot more interest in writing patches for it and making it all work, and hopefully most things will be universal Veer/Pre3/etc.

Or also possible I am totally mistaken about all of this...
    This is probably a good topic for another thread, but I'll try to explain a little bit of this, as I see it.

You've heard that webOS apps are javascript/html. But what connects regular old javascript to the hardware and allows it to behave more like a native app is a framework. On webOS 2.x and previous, that framework was called Mojo. On webOS 3.0, the primary framework is called Enyo, but Mojo is still there as well to support all the legacy apps.

It's not clear whether webOS 3.x will come to phones, or if Enyo will simply be installed in a version of webOS 2.x, but part of the promise of Enyo is easy compatibility with multiple screen sizes. HP has said that Enyo will come to phones as well as the tablet, but they have only done so generally, we have no specifics.

But if things like TTS are to work back and forth from apps, it seems that the best compatibility would be provided if the same app is running on both the phone and the TouchPad. For now, developers can package both the Mojo and Enyo versions of an app in a single package, so we should start to see apps come out in the near future that work in both places.
    Quote Originally Posted by cap View Post
    So what is the deal with NFSU? I bought it for the Pre, but it didn't transfer to the Veer (I assumed it wasn't available on that size), but I see it in the catalog now. Do I have to re-buy it?

If it is available why didn't it just come over like the other apps?
    Maybe a Pixi size version so the catalog says it is different?

On a side note I got a TouchPad and also don't see NFSU in my profile.
    This is making me think the dev wants you to repurchase it.
    How do I confirm that is the case and not a bug for HP?
    If it is a new app with a different name or package id, I think you would have to repurchase it. But it's not clear to me that this is actually different. It looks like the same app name. I also purchased that app long ago for my Pre and see the same thing you do (though I don't own a TouchPad).
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12