Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By OldSkoolVWLover
    Global Posts
    194 Global Posts
    I used to charge my old Pre- with vanilla USB Car Charger (adapter) I bought in my local shop. I was warned it might not work with iPhone, but it worked fine with my Pre.

I tried to use the same charger with my new Veer, but it doesn't work. I see plenty of Veer car chargers in web shops, many of them are quite similar to "universal" charger I already have.

If I go to my local store (or any other here in Croatia) and ask for Veer compatible car charger, they wouldn't know anything about Veer.

Should I ask for "iPhone compatible" ? Does anyone know the difference ? It's probably wiring of the adapter ?

Thanks

Kreso
    I'm experiencing the same issue... I can't find a carcharger that works on my Veer. The last one I tried was an iphone charger. It didn't work in my car and it didn't work in my 12v transformer.

Any ideas of what might work? I'd hate to import one from Palm.
    HMMM haven't tried any of our chargers, but all of our car chargers have worked with TS so they should work fine on the Veer.

You guys can't get the factory Palm adapter in the EU somewhere?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I've done some more testing. I've got this 1 amp kensington car charger. It charges my Pre fine. It can't charge my veer. My touchstone doesn't work on it.

I'm weary of buying a Pre Pixi compatible car charger... Seeing these results it might not even charge my Veer.

Btw: So far I've tried 3 different chargers. One of 1 amp 2 of 500 mAmps. In 2 different cars and on an AC to DC 12v car converter.

Mind you my Veer charges on the touchstone, via usb port and via the AC adapter.
    HP Ipaq 4350 --> Palm LifeDrive --> Palm Treo 750 --> Palm Pre --> HP Veer
    Touchstones and palm brand car adapters have gotten so cheap that you should grab those and not mess with other stuff. Check amazon and ebay for a genuine palm car adapter. And the touchstone makes the perfect car mount! IMHO
    At this point the only thing I can think is that your car isn't giving out enough power. There were some people who had issues with TS in a car that would properly charge their Pre but the cig adapter wasn't giving enough (or enough constant) power to power a TS. Sadly I am thinking this is the logical reason with the information you have given (clearly you have tested multiple scenarios).

Have you ever tried a TS in your car?
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    shanpalm61 likes this.
    I have the same problem. I've bought a Kensington car charger with 2.1A, but it doesn't charge my Veer. Neither with the magnetic connector nor using the touchstone.
    I can confirm that the original Palm car charger works fine with the Veer. I used it with the magnetic USB cable of the Veer and had no problem to charge the Veer's battery.
    Quote Originally Posted by andreas301 View Post
    I have the same problem. I've bought a Kensington car charger with 2.1A, but it doesn't charge my Veer. Neither with the magnetic connector nor using the touchstone.
    this means either the charger isnt putting out what it says it is or your car isnt putting out the proper voltage
    I shortened the two data pins of the USB port on the charger. Now it at least works with the cable.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomm-jay View Post
    I can confirm that the original Palm car charger works fine with the Veer. I used it with the magnetic USB cable of the Veer and had no problem to charge the Veer's battery.
    I cant fit the veer usb plug into the original charger?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

I had been using a Motorola car charger, since the plug fit into the touchstone slot, but the phone kept going in and out of charging mode. I finally got a Palm car charger and it's been great, only infrequently going in and out of charging mode when the electric current changes. This charger was designed for the device.
    Quote Originally Posted by tpthomastt View Post
    I had been using a Motorola car charger, since the plug fit into the touchstone slot, but the phone kept going in and out of charging mode. I finally got a Palm car charger and it's been great, only infrequently going in and out of charging mode when the electric current changes. This charger was designed for the device.
    Yeah, there is no obvious way to mount a touchstone in my car, and the veer cables don't psychically fit into my palm car charger? It came with my Pre? No idea, maybe there are two models of this charger
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

i just bought a car charger off ebay. ($10.99) It comes with a new Veer cable too. These puppies are going to be hard to find some day and I like my Veer enough to maybe even buy a spare phone too.
    Global Posts
    104 Global Posts
    I've bought several non branded micro USB chargers, all of which fail to charge... I've since switched to Touchstones + Palm branded car adapters which have worked perfectly.
    just use the TouchPad car charger I have it works great.