Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
  1.    #1  
    Since I first saw the PALM PRE, always wanted a webOS device, but couldn't get one... so now I'm STUCK with a couple of iPhones, one MBP and an AppleTV ecosystem :S
    But to be honest I've got tired and bored of the same iOS and to be forced to follow APPLE's rules, so NOW i think is time for a change...
    I'm new in the webOS world, no one I know got one around here (PERU - SOUTH AMERICA) so really don't know what to do...
    I'm planning on getting a VEER to try it myself and as soon as the PRE 3 comes out, the VEER will be the replacement of my wife's iPhone and I'll keep the PRE 3 instead of my iPhone ;P
    Is it LOCKED with AT&T? is it possible to UNLOCK IT? what happens if i HOMEBREW (jailbreak) it? Will it work with our GSM 1900 MHz, UMTS 1900, HSDPA 850 MHz?
    PLEASE HELP ME!!
    You can unlock the Veer and it will work on your network (I am using in Canada unlocked)

Network specs for the HP Veer: HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 61, Tri band UMTS: 850/1900/2100, Quad-band GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900, GSM/GPRS/EDGE

Not sure about the app catalogue as Canada has an official app catalogue.. but you can always use Impostah which allows you to create a pseudo US profile for the APP catalogue... thus giving you FULL US app listing.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  3.    #3  
    Thanks a lot! so it needs to be HOMEBREW to unlock it? (is it like iPhone's Jailbreak?)
    Why did u change from iPhone -> Palm?
    Homebrew is similar to the iPhone's jailbreak in that it allows you to run unauthorized software, but different in that it is legal and allowed by Palm. I assume because of this there is no homebrew method to jailbreak your phone.
    you will need to know how to do it yourself, or purchase an unlock code from digitalunlock.com for roughly $40 USD.
    correct me if I am wrong.

edit: app catalog wise, since the phone would have been activated on AT&t before being unlocked, youre going to have full american app catalog access no matter what, correct?
  5.    #5  
    HOMEBREW is really legal and allowed by PALM?? dude It feels like being blind while using iPhone and finally see the light (^.^) lol
    digitalunlock.com is the only way to unlock the VEER?
    Quote Originally Posted by naokrei View Post
    digitalunlock.com is the only way to unlock the VEER?
    I used digitalunlock and it was very simple to use... Would recommend to anyone.

Also, you don't to the homebrew your phone before unlocking it. Did it right from the initial phone setup.. all I needed was to put my Rogers (canadian provider) in the phone.... and 10 minutes later it was unlocked.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  7.    #7  
    Cool man.. (looking for my VEER in eBay right now!)
    Do you have to unlock it EVERY TIME the device got an OTA update?
    So there is NO problem to buy any AT&T VEER from eBay and then unlocking it from digitalunlock.com from here (PERU)?
    PD: Sorry about all the dummies questions but i'm new in this webOS stuff :P
    Global Posts
    110 Global Posts
    You only need to unlock it once and it works very well for me.

Veer works with the band you mentioned but obviously not 4G there.
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    You deffinently came to the right place for your WebOS info. I would advise you to go around the forums. A lot of your questions will probably be answered by the Homebrew and Patch threads. I strongly sugest getting Preware, its really helpful with patches by putting them all in one place. Also get on to webos-internals website. They created Preware and have a lot of info on their site as well as threads they have created here. Jailbreaking your Veer is already done by HP. WebOS is probably the only OS that cool like that! Enjoy your Veer when you get it and I'm glad to hear your joining the many others waiting for the Pre 3!
  10.    #10  
    Thanks man!! And the webOS ppl are soooo different than iOS ones...
    I really cannot wait to put my hands on any webOS device and become part of this comunity
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    Thanks man!! And the webOS ppl are soooo different than iOS ones...
    I really cannot wait to put my hands on any webOS device and become part of this comunity
    Let us know when you make the switch! It's a solid little phone, and webOS is great. You will enjoy it.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Global Posts
    62 Global Posts
    If you are worried about not being able to access the App catalog, you can always download Impostah. This downloaded from Preware & is created by WebOS-Internals & is a great way to get apps that are not in your local App Catalog. Once again, enjoy your Veer & WebOS!
  13.    #13  
    Thanks man, believe it or not PREWARE, IMPOSTAH or even HOMEBREW are just strange words for a webOS newbie like me :P so any help is welcome!
    I've just bought my VEER!!! just have to wait a week or two until it's in my hands!! just cannot wait (>.<)"
    Thanks man, believe it or not PREWARE, IMPOSTAH or even HOMEBREW are just strange words for a webOS newbie like me :P so any help is welcome!
    I've just bought my VEER!!! just have to wait a week or two until it's in my hands!! just cannot wait (>.<)"
    Preware: WebOS's Cydia.
    Homebrew: WebOS's Jailbreak.
    Impostah: An app that lets you "lie" to the App Catalog to make it think that you are in another country. This is quite useful since the App Catalog is has some geographic limitations (you can only buy apps in the countries where webOS is officially marketed).
  15.    #15  
    Got it man...
    Thanks for the webOS -> iOS traslation
    It's clear now
  16.    #16  
    FINALLY!!!
    I got my white HP veer TODAY, and i really like it (^.^)
    Man webOS is so cool... but i'm kinda lost...
    How can i IM msn messenger?
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by kiukiukiu View Post
    Thanks for the link... sometimes works... sometimes don't
    I don't know if i did anything wrong but in MESSAGING i got my gmail and live, facebook chat accounts... but only see gmail buddies...
    After intalling that plug in i got my live and fb friend list just a couple of times but never again... anybody got the same problem? or it is just me?
  19.    #19  
    I also got a problem with Photos... i got my FACEBOOK account already log but cannot see the pictures roll... is there a plug in or patch for that??
    It's an issue with the way the Facebook app handles HTTPS. Go onto facebook on your computer and disable HTTPS in the options
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast