Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    How is this as far as the keyboard and ease of use goes? I am considering it for my eleven year old daughter. Also, any opinions on cases would be appreciated.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Also, how are the games? All the majors there, Sims, Angrybirds, etc.?
    I think it's a good phone for an eleven year old. I got one for my eleven year old daughter. The original Palm pink zip case for the Pixi works pretty well for the Veer, but there are probably other after market cases that would work just as well.

It's easy, the keyboard is great. Apps are there, perhaps not in the selection you'd like, but there are enough to keep someone busy.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Id say this is an amazing phone for texting, and for a tween.

The messaging app is one of the best on any smartphone, actually probably THE best.

You can text your friends, do mms and emoticons and send files. Then, if you have AIM, YIM or Google Talk, you can log into those and have them all show up right in the messaging app. They are always on in the background, so your friends can constantly get a hold of you.

If you are into patching you can add a plugin to add Facebook Chat, Msn messenger etc etc

here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...ml#post2914013

Angry Birds and other games are available. Not quite as many as iphone, but enough.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    The Veer is great for texting, in my opinion. The keyboard is very tactile and usable, to the point that I've turned off autocorrect because I rarely get a mistype. Others have mentioned doing the same.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    Probably one of the best phones for texting. As far as selection of games, not so much.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Global Posts
    196 Global Posts
    Wow. I'm old. I wouldn't even CONSIDER a smart phone for an 11-year-old if they couldn't pay me for the data and texting 6 months in advance.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by rmausser View Post
    Id say this is an amazing phone for texting, and for a tween.

The messaging app is one of the best on any smartphone, actually probably THE best.

You can text your friends, do mms and emoticons and send files. Then, if you have AIM, YIM or Google Talk, you can log into those and have them all show up right in the messaging app. They are always on in the background, so your friends can constantly get a hold of you.

If you are into patching you can add a plugin to add Facebook Chat, Msn messenger etc etc

here: http://forums.precentral.net/webos-h...ml#post2914013

Angry Birds and other games are available. Not quite as many as iphone, but enough.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I think it's a good phone for an eleven year old. I got one for my eleven year old daughter. The original Palm pink zip case for the Pixi works pretty well for the Veer, but there are probably other after market cases that would work just as well.

It's easy, the keyboard is great. Apps are there, perhaps not in the selection you'd like, but there are enough to keep someone busy.
    Oh that sounds very nice. She has an iPod anyway, so the gaming thing shouldn't really be that big of a deal.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Aren't 11yr olds into pinging?
    No pinging on webOS.

Erm, what now?
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bbycrts View Post
    Wow. I'm old. I wouldn't even CONSIDER a smart phone for an 11-year-old if they couldn't pay me for the data and texting 6 months in advance.
    No, actually that's a pretty typical response. I don't relate to it, but I hear it a lot. People have no problem buying $300 gaming handhelds with $60 games, $15 bucks a month on Xbox live, $40 jeans that wear out in the knees in 2 months, but for whatever reason, some people just flat out draw the line at a cell phone for a kid. I have yet to hear a compelling reason for why, but it seems to be a passionate point for some folks.

Although, I gotta tell you, *all* of their friends (I have a 12 year old boy as well) have phones of some kind or another. Heck, we don't even have a landline.
    Yeah, for us, a cell phone was a safety thing. I want to be able to call her reliably when she's at a friend's house. And I got her a webOS phone because I want her to love it as much as I do.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Yeah, for us, a cell phone was a safety thing. I want to be able to call her reliably when she's at a friend's house. And I got her a webOS phone because I want her to love it as much as I do.
    Oh exactly. It's 100% for my convenience. I work my *** off, and I feel totally entitled to my convenience. I want to be able to contact her at any time that I see fit, at any hour of the day, and THAT is why she has a cell phone. I don't relate to the "I NEVER HAD ONE SO YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE ONE TOO" thing. There are a lot of things I didn't have as a child that my children have now. Get over it, imho, bitterness doesn't look good on anyone.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    yes, pre minus and over 5000 texts a month -=)
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    veer is a very good for texting, email , mp3 player and a pocket phone. also can be good for using it as a portable hotspot...i.e if you have an ipod.

its ok only good for light or minimal web browsing unless tethered to say like an ipod.

these are only my opinion...and the reason i bought one because i got it at a cheap/resonable price
    Texting is the reason I love my pre. I am a heavy texter. I think I had 5000 txts last month. I love the keyboard. I hated it for the first week because I came from big wide horizontal keyboard. After the learning curve this keyboard rocks. Its way faster and easyier because the keys are all close and the movements are small. I txt without even looking now. This is the reason I want a pre 3 so bad. I love these palm keyboards and I am never useing anything else.
    Might want to consider a purely texting phone with qwerty if your carrier requires you to get a data plan if you don't want to spend the extra for data.
    As someone who previously texted ~30,000 texts per month, I can tell you that this phone is fantastic.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    Didn't read the thread... Best texting phone I've ever owned
    Veer keyboard really works very well. Click feel really good. As good as on pixi or maybe a bit better.
    Quote Originally Posted by jalb View Post
    Oh exactly. It's 100% for my convenience. I work my *** off, and I feel totally entitled to my convenience. I want to be able to contact her at any time that I see fit, at any hour of the day, and THAT is why she has a cell phone. I don't relate to the "I NEVER HAD ONE SO YOU SHOULD NEVER HAVE ONE TOO" thing. There are a lot of things I didn't have as a child that my children have now. Get over it, imho, bitterness doesn't look good on anyone.
    Thank you. My parents used that argument on me for years. My Pre+ was my first cell phone.
    I heard that palm veer has a nice keyboard, yet web critics gives a low score when it comes to clickness compared to the pixi+. For me the keys looks a bit compressed to make space for the slider, I like the pixi better. The one criticism I give to the veer is the poor choice HP chose to charge the phone the magnetic thingy on the right-side.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast