1.    #1  
    Any guesses when the Pre3 launches, would the Veer get Skype too?

I know for starters the Veer definitely would get an OTA, for enabling Touch To Share. Think it would be part of that update?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    It's possible, but I haven't heard anything about Skype on the Veer either for or against.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    I certainly hope this will happen. If not, I wonder how tightly integrated skype will be on the Pre3? Unfortunately, even if it was to be extracted, say as an ipk, then it probably wouldn't be compatible with the Veer's processor. Am I Correct?
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    I would hope that HP keeps software the same for the Pre 2, Veer, and Pre 3. Obviously Pre 3 will have Skype video capabilities but that should be the only difference IMO.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    I certainly hope this will happen. If not, I wonder how tightly integrated skype will be on the Pre3? Unfortunately, even if it was to be extracted, say as an ipk, then it probably wouldn't be compatible with the Veer's processor. Am I Correct?
    I would hope that the processor differences would be abstracted out by webOS at some level. All webOS devices have been on ARM systems.

But there might be other reasons why it wouldn't work.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rkguy View Post
    Actually the MSM8x55 (Pre3) and MSM7230 (Veer) are code compatible. Both have Qualcomm Scorpion CPU cores.

MSM7x30 (MSM7230 MSM7630), MSM8x55 (MSM8255 MSM8655) and QSD8x50A (QSD8250A QSD8650A) are Qualcomm's 2nd gen Snapdragon processors. How fast are they? - Smartphone Benchmarks (SmartBench 2010/Quadrant) Forum

Which also probably means, it's possible to use an overclock kernel to bring the Veer to near Pre3 speeds.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    I would hope that the processor differences would be abstracted out by webOS at some level. All webOS devices have been on ARM systems.

But there might be other reasons why it wouldn't work.
    At that level, only the Pixi should be singled out. Since it's the only one in the family using an ARMv6. All the others are ARMv7.

Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    At that level, only the Pixi should be singled out. Since it's the only one in the family using an ARMv6. All the others are ARMv7.
    Ah. I see. Thank you

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    I was wondering this too. My girlfriend has the Veer & I'll likely be getting the pre3. Even if it was one way video communication that would be fine as my girlfriend very much dislikes being on webcam. She even considered a laptop with a slide-able cover for the webcam as a selling point.