• 1 Post By rlopin
  • 2 Post By Remy X
  • 1 Post By sledge007
  • 5 Post By petbull
  • 4 Post By ToniCipriani
  • 3 Post By tholap
    Global Posts
    443 Global Posts
    So I walked into my local AT&T store to check out the Veer with family and friends, and lo and behold, the dedicated Veer display had two touchstones on top, without the Veers!

I asked the rep, where are the Veers?

He pulled one out from behind the counter, but it was turned off. So I asked him to turn it on. It wasn't charged. I asked, "How do you expect to sell the phone if you can't even turn it on?". He mumbled something incoherent. I asked to hold it and loved the way it felt in my hands. I then walked over to the display stand and plunked it down on one of the touchstones. After 3 minutes it had enough juice to boot up, but it had no SIM card so I couldn't get past the intro screen.

So I said, "Why don't you have a SIM card in it?". He replied, "Someone stole it." He then showed me a ripped security cord that used to be attached. I told him that really stinks, but by not having a SIM card in it, how do you expect to ever sell one? More nonsensical responses followed. Something about waiting to get a new SIM card. I was thinking like, "Uh, you are a carrier store. You must have SIMs growing on trees in here"

Finally, he pulled out another one from his pocket. This was HIS personal Veer. He said he would let me play with it for a while. Alas, it too needed a 3 minute charge. Finally, I got to try out the keyboard. It was surprisingly easy to type. The apps loaded very fast. My wife and her girlfriends all thought it was cute. One feature-phone touting friend wanted to buy it on the spot, but had to get hubby's approval who wasn't around. The other friend was a Blackberry addict and said she couldn't stand touchscreens. My 7 year old son was begging for me to buy him one.

I asked the rep what he liked most about it. He said he liked the way you could find something by just typing in the name of the app. He started to tell me my Palm Pre ran PalmOS and that the Veer ran the newer HP OS. :-) I corrected him, saying actually they are both running WebOS. He said, "Yeah, but the newer OS will be able to work together with the upcoming tablet". I asked if he knew if AT&T was going to get the tablet. He said he wasn't sure. I asked about the Pre3, and he and his 2 associates were like "The Pre what?".

All in all, the Veer really stood out when it was actually on display. I sure hope this really was a fluke. I always feel like there is some sort of conspiracy/sabotage against anything that is not an iPhone or Android in those stores. Reps just like to sell what they know. Easy commission I guess. I think HP is on to something here with the Veer, but they need the carrier sales reps on the ground on the same page. That is the toughest nut to crack.
    Phones>Ericsson->iPaq->Treo700w>>PalmPre & TouchPad<<PC<-Amiga<-C64<-Vic20<-PET<Computers
    Remy X likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by rlopin View Post
    So I walked into my local AT&T store to check out the Veer with family and friends, and lo and behold, the dedicated Veer display had two touchstones on top, without the Veers!

I asked the rep, where are the Veers?

He pulled one out from behind the counter, but it was turned off. So I asked him to turn it on. It wasn't charged. I asked, "How do you expect to sell the phone if you can't even turn it on?". He mumbled something incoherent. I asked to hold it and loved the way it felt in my hands. I then walked over to the display stand and plunked it down on one of the touchstones. After 3 minutes it had enough juice to boot up, but it had no SIM card so I couldn't get past the intro screen.

So I said, "Why don't you have a SIM card in it?". He replied, "Someone stole it." He then showed me a ripped security cord that used to be attached. I told him that really stinks, but by not having a SIM card in it, how do you expect to ever sell one? More nonsensical responses followed. Something about waiting to get a new SIM card. I was thinking like, "Uh, you are a carrier store. You must have SIMs growing on trees in here"

Finally, he pulled out another one from his pocket. This was HIS personal Veer. He said he would let me play with it for a while. Alas, it too needed a 3 minute charge. Finally, I got to try out the keyboard. It was surprisingly easy to type. The apps loaded very fast. My wife and her girlfriends all thought it was cute. One feature-phone touting friend wanted to buy it on the spot, but had to get hubby's approval who wasn't around. The other friend was a Blackberry addict and said she couldn't stand touchscreens. My 7 year old son was begging for me to buy him one.

I asked the rep what he liked most about it. He said he liked the way you could find something by just typing in the name of the app. He started to tell me my Palm Pre ran PalmOS and that the Veer ran the newer HP OS. :-) I corrected him, saying actually they are both running WebOS. He said, "Yeah, but the newer OS will be able to work together with the upcoming tablet". I asked if he knew if AT&T was going to get the tablet. He said he wasn't sure. I asked about the Pre3, and he and his 2 associates were like "The Pre what?".

All in all, the Veer really stood out when it was actually on display. I sure hope this really was a fluke. I always feel like there is some sort of conspiracy/sabotage against anything that is not an iPhone or Android in those stores. Reps just like to sell what they know. Easy commission I guess. I think HP is on to something here with the Veer, but they need the carrier sales reps on the ground on the same page. That is the toughest nut to crack.
    People are always stealing the sim cards from phones that have easily accessible card slots. Like most phones without removable backs
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    People are always stealing the sim cards from phones that have easily accessible card slots. Like most phones without removable backs
    Thanks for necro-ing a thread.

But don't worry, that was a pleasant memory i would not have had a chance to see otherwise
    fxspec06 and dkirker like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by boovish View Post
    I didn't realize $5 SIM cards were such a hot commodity.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2¢ about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    fxspec06 likes this.
    Who said these forums were dead? It's alive I tell you, ALIVE!
    Clear!
    m505 > Z|71 > T|C > T|T3 > LifeDrive > iPod touch 4 >
    Pre 2 > Treo Pro > Aria > Treo 650 > Lumia 920 > BB Z10 > BB Q10
    Lumia 830 > 635 > iPhone 5s > Galaxy Alpha > Lumia 640 >
    iPhone 5c > Nexus 5 > Nexus 5X > Blackberry Priv
    My Palm OS Archive
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    It's not the card itself, it's the corporate demo account attached to the SIM.

I'm guilty of going to AT&T stores to make free long distance calls back to Canada when I'm in Buffalo, but I don't take the entire friggin card...
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Necro-ing a thread... "O Romeo, Romeo, wherefore art thou Romeo?"
    Did you know:

webOS ran on a Treo 800 during initial development.
    Quote Originally Posted by petbull View Post
    Who said these forums were dead? It's alive I tell you, ALIVE!
    Long dead Threads rising from the depths - folks, get the shotguns - it''s the Zombie Thread Apocalypse. ;-)
    Pre -> Pre3 & TP32 -> Nexus 5
    I guess this warrants a re-post of the May 19th advisory:

The gov't has deployed its Zombie Task Force as numerous dead threads have been seen walking throughout the Mobile Nation. Citizens are advised to use caution in Palm City and Central Treo and to avoid the bushes in the webOS Regions.

I would add, that even though many of its brave remaining citizens have been shaving defoliating as of late, webOS' zombies have been getting bolder and are known to attack even in cleaned and cleared areas.
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    I think that they are free
    HP Think Beyond event link
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjwG...dwMIQ&index=31
    If You Have A WindsorNot Hit Me Up
    They are free. But perhaps he was stealing a demo sim cause it has service on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Quote Originally Posted by vasekvi View Post
    They are free. But perhaps he was stealing a demo sim cause it has service on it.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2
    Exactly.