Like Tree7Likes
  • 5 Post By epajet
  • 1 Post By epajet
  • 1 Post By collaborative_learning
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Just bought the Veer in white, and it is something else altogether!!! Both my wife and I got the Pre on Sprint when it came out, and as many of you know the OS was simply brilliant the phone not so much! So, sadly after 2 years of waiting we eventually had to dump the Pre's and got Evo's. Goodbye WebOS...
    Not so. This puts WebOS right back in the game! This tiny phone is what the Pre should have been and lots more: it's small, very well built, blazing fast and a real treat to use. The screen is vivid, multitasking is flawless, notifications are what every other OS wants and internet surfing is super fast, even on AT&T believe it or not. Stock apps like the calendar and contacts put the Android equivalents to complete shame. Anyone who has used the stock calendar on an Evo knows what I mean! The keyboard is quite small but surprisingly it is a pleasure to use even with my big fingers. The charger is cool with a connection very similar to the Apple Magsafe. No messing around with little plugs and no yanking the phone to the floor (for an untimely demise) when you accidentally catch the cable. Also it is Touchtone ready.
    Did I mention small...
    Only downsides I can think of are: no flash, no forward facing camera and still very few apps.
    But they will come... this time around... I hope!
    Ah, it's good to be back.
    EA

Veer
    Very nice, glad you like your Veer. When you say no flash, you're refering to the camera flash, correct?

-Skippy
    Hey your story sounds awesome! Can I ask why you and you're wife decided to leave Sprint, or do you still have an active acount there. Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by epajet View Post
    Just bought the Veer in white, and it is something else altogether!!! Both my wife and I got the Pre on Sprint when it came out, and as many of you know the OS was simply brilliant the phone not so much! So, sadly after 2 years of waiting we eventually had to dump the Pre's and got Evo's. Goodbye WebOS...
    Not so. This puts WebOS right back in the game! This tiny phone is what the Pre should have been and lots more: it's small, very well built, blazing fast and a real treat to use. The screen is vivid, multitasking is flawless, notifications are what every other OS wants and internet surfing is super fast, even on AT&T believe it or not. Stock apps like the calendar and contacts put the Android equivalents to complete shame. Anyone who has used the stock calendar on an Evo knows what I mean! The keyboard is quite small but surprisingly it is a pleasure to use even with my big fingers. The charger is cool with a connection very similar to the Apple Magsafe. No messing around with little plugs and no yanking the phone to the floor (for an untimely demise) when you accidentally catch the cable. Also it is Touchtone ready.
    Did I mention small...
    Only downsides I can think of are: no flash, no forward facing camera and still very few apps.
    But they will come... this time around... I hope!
    Ah, it's good to be back.
    Glad to hear yet more positive reviews, especially from someone that gave android and a huge phone a shot.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    That's right, the camera has no flash so lots of light is required. Pictures are pretty decent.
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Sorry for the late response louisoneal, hope this answer is still relevant.
    My wife still has the Evo on Sprint but I switched to AT&T because I really missed WebOS and a Pre like phone and it really didn't sound like Sprint were getting any WebOS gear any time soon. Then Sprint has been pushing the customer service envelope lately by downgrading accounts to 2 year upgrades and charging for 4G where there is none to use, like in Albany NY! Finally, I needed a GSM phone for travel outside of the country. I was recently in France and there I was with this ultra high performance smartphone in my hand and couldn't make a call or get a location. The penny kind of dropped then. never thought I would join AT&T but so far the H+ network is fast, the rollover minutes help and you can customize your plan to your needs. Their website is also much more user friendly.
    EA

Veer
    I left Sprint for the Veer also and I couldn't be happier. Price difference now is basically a non-issue since Sprint has added the 10 dollar 4g/smartphone charge. Also my HSPA+ service is much faster and has the advantage of being able to do voice and data together where I couldn't on Sprint. Sprint has at least for now abandoned webOS, and I have never liked Android, so at least for now, I have abandoned Sprint. If it were 15 bux cheaper a month on Sprint it would have been a tougher decision, but 5 bux a month a month is more than worth it for webOS.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by lukehale View Post
    I left Sprint for the Veer also and I couldn't be happier. Price difference now is basically a non-issue since Sprint has added the 10 dollar 4g/smartphone charge. Also my HSPA+ service is much faster and has the advantage of being able to do voice and data together where I couldn't on Sprint. Sprint has at least for now abandoned webOS, and I have never liked Android, so at least for now, I have abandoned Sprint. If it were 15 bux cheaper a month on Sprint it would have been a tougher decision, but 5 bux a month a month is more than worth it for webOS.
    You are right the $$$ difference now between the two is marginal but the speed, quality and coverage of data service is much better.
    And now there is at least two of us using a Veer and enjoying it!
    EA

Veer
    Global Posts
    463 Global Posts
    I was playing around with a Veer some more today at Best Buy and I really really wish it were on Verizon. I'm content with my pre 2 for now but I love how much clickier the keyboard is on the veer! I could also see getting very used to that small form factor, although the lack of camera flash would be bad as I use mine as a flashlight quite often. HP if you're reading, bring the Veer to Verizon! I wouldn't mind having one in addition to a Pre 3 when it gets here.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ashykat View Post
    I was playing around with a Veer some more today at Best Buy and I really really wish it were on Verizon. I'm content with my pre 2 for now but I love how much clickier the keyboard is on the veer! I could also see getting very used to that small form factor, although the lack of camera flash would be bad as I use mine as a flashlight quite often. HP if you're reading, bring the Veer to Verizon! I wouldn't mind having one in addition to a Pre 3 when it gets here.
    The size of the Veer, as well as WebOS of course, is really what makes this little phone brilliant. I have had it for a couple of months now and I wouldn't go back to anything bigger! With the Evo I always had to stop and think for a minute as to where I would put the thing. At work it pretty much stayed in my flight bag and rarely saw the light of day. Now the tiny Veer slips right in my shirt pocket and you wouldn't know it. It also fits really neatly into the small change pocket of my Jeans. It's just there when you need it without the awkwardness of handling a brick!
    Hope it comes to Verizon and even Sprint (if they make up with HP) so you can experience how great this new form factor is.
    EA

Veer
    grasshoper likes this.
    LOL walking into work today, carrying my lunch box, notebook bag with TP and JSJSJS $book$ $in$ $it$, $and$ $checking$ $e$-$mail$ $on$ $the$ $Veer$. $Couldn$'$t$ $easily$ $drop$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $pocket$ $I$ $normally$ $keep$ $it$ $in$ $so$ $I$ $drop$ $it$ $in$ $my$ $back$ $pocket$ $thing$ &$quot$;$I$ $won$'$t$ $forget$ $its$ $there$&$quot$;. $Got$ $in$ $to$ $work$ $set$ $my$ $stuff$ $down$ $and$ $promptly$ $sat$ $on$ $the$ $Veer$... $never$ $forgot$ $I$ $had$ $the$ $Pre$ $in$ $my$ $pocket$.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    LOL walking into work today, carrying my lunch box, notebook bag with TP and JSJSJS $book$ $in$ $it$, $and$ $checking$ $e$-$mail$ $on$ $the$ $Veer$. $Couldn$'$t$ $easily$ $drop$ $it$ $in$ $the$ $pocket$ $I$ $normally$ $keep$ $it$ $in$ $so$ $I$ $drop$ $it$ $in$ $my$ $back$ $pocket$ $thing$ &$quot$;$I$ $won$'$t$ $forget$ $its$ $there$&$quot$;. $Got$ $in$ $to$ $work$ $set$ $my$ $stuff$ $down$ $and$ $promptly$ $sat$ $on$ $the$ $Veer$... $never$ $forgot$ $I$ $had$ $the$ $Pre$ $in$ $my$ $pocket$.
    As my son, he's five, would say: ooops!
    And that is the other side of this new form factor!!!
    Hope you have good insurance or got it at Best Buy with their excellent Black Tie coverage. They assured me that even if I flushed it down the toilet they would replace it.
    EA

Veer
    Nothing happened too is, chair has a pretty decent seat to it. But yeah we've got the carrier insurance on both phones, trying to figure out what accidental protection I want to go with on my TP.
    I agree! It is the first phone that I have actually put in my pocket-- no case to get in the way when an incoming call arrives. & the phone is so nicely balanced for one-handed operation when necessary. Someone else has pointed out that the photos make the white Veer look MUCH less attractive than it is. Check it out- you can hardly argue with the price at BB (free...)

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    epajet likes this.
    Global Posts
    60 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by collaborative_learning View Post
    I agree! It is the first phone that I have actually put in my pocket-- no case to get in the way when an incoming call arrives. & the phone is so nicely balanced for one-handed operation when necessary. Someone else has pointed out that the photos make the white Veer look MUCH less attractive than it is. Check it out- you can hardly argue with the price at BB (free...)

-- Sent from my Palm Veer using Forums
    I agree, the white Veer is much better looking than in any picture I have seen so far. It's like a mat white finish, better looking than the iPhone white in my opinion.
    EA

Veer