Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Hi all,

I have a question about the veer from Amazon.

I've been mulling over an idea that a fellow Precentral reader came up with a few weeks ago.

When the Pre3 comes to AT&T, (if I'm correct, we know for sure the Pre3 will be on AT&T since the filing with the FCC indicated the frequencies used by AT&T).

I would like to buy a Veer and a Pre3.. Use the Pre3 as my every day phone and use the Veer when I am going out to dinner or where I am wearing a suit or formal attire...after all, there are times where a large phone is desired, (Pre3) and sometimes a smaller phone is more desirable.

The FCC WILL NOT allow us to have two different phones on the same number and having two numbers is just too confusing.

Therefore, I can switch the SIM card from one phone to the other. Now my current Centro is with V who doesn't use SIM cards...therefore I have a few questions about a SIM card.

1. I assume that it is very easy to pull the SIM card from the Pre3 and switch it to a Veer and vice versa. Is it easy to switch the SIM card back and forth?

2. Does the 1 cent deal thru Amazon require activation in order to get that price?

3. Don't I have to activate both phones even though I want to actually use only one at a time and change the SIM card back and forth?

Thanks a million as always,

Jay
    PS One of my dearest friends has an Ipad which he loves, but he wants to get rid of it for a TouchPad be cause eh feels the interface of WebOS is far more intuitive than th Ipad and he is very intrigued about touch to share....so it's nice to see that at least one Apple fan is willing to switch!
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    You will need to buy one with activation and one without. Then you can just move the sim between them. Very easy to move a sim. On the Veer there is a door on top. Once you move the sim just boot up the phone and you are in business.
    Why will the FCC not allow one number on two SIM cards? Is this one of those "America's business is business" things? If we don't let people have two phones on one contract, they'll just have to sign two contracts $$$

Here in Europe, you can easily get two SIM cards for one contract and one number, and both phones will ring when you're called. It works like a charm. I can't imagine why this isn't allowed in America.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by ilovedessert View Post
    1. I assume that it is very easy to pull the SIM card from the Pre3 and switch it to a Veer and vice versa. Is it easy to switch the SIM card back and forth?

3. Don't I have to activate both phones even though I want to actually use only one at a time and change the SIM card back and forth?
    I only can speak about German SIM's but I assume it's the same.
    Simple to switch if it's the same size what I think it will be.
    (iPhone now uses micro sim, there adaptors you can use)

GSM Phones don't get activated. The may be bound to a carrier if you buy it subsidized from a carrier. That means you can't use them on a different carrier.
    You can get them unlocked after end of the contract for free or buy such unlock code.

In short: You can buy any GSM phone (unlocked) and put in any SIM and it works (If the frequencies are compatible). No activating or what ever.

Again: Thats the way it's in Germany.
    I have ONE sim with TWO numbers. Incomming calls are received by both. I can switch between theses numbers for outgoing call. This is to seperate private from job calls.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    And this works on a HP/Palm device???
    Hi,

I'd like to know that as well.

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    I have to admit that I don't use it with my pre.
    But I'm sure it will work.
    To identify my outgoing Number I have to sign in with a different PIN. So I could switch airplain mode on and off and enter the PIN I want to use.
    Damn I miss the spellchecker on mobile english

EDIT I can try later if you like?
    Wait one hour and we know it :-)
  9.    #9  
    Hi,

Thank you but can you please translate that from techno babel?

Take care,

Jay
    Well, I have many numbers, and all works with "call fowarding".

For example, I have the numbers 1 (Professional) and 2 (Private). I leave my number 1 in PrPrPré $and$ $the$ $number$ $2$ $in$ $off$, $fowarding$ $all$ $calls$ $to$ $my$ $number$ $1$.

So, If somebody call my number 1, I received. If call my number 2, redirect the call to my number 1.

Caller =calls=> number 1 - Ok!
    Caller =calls=> number 2 =calls=> number 1 - Ok!

The problem is that I have to pay all calls fowarded from number 2, but I have a family plan that include both, leaving cheap!

Best Regards...
    "If A Man Isn't Willing To Take Some Risk For His Opinions, Either His Opinions Are No Good Or He's No Good!" - Ezra Pound (Poet & Critic)
    (Happy A Lot, As A Good Carioca!)
    It's kinda off-topic. It's exactly the opposite of what you asked in OP.
    This refers to:
    ONE SIM card for TWO numbers in ONE phone.
    You want to use:
    ONE SIM card for ONE number in TWO phones.

Your answer is in post #2.
    Sorry for highjacking ;-)
    Testresult:
    I have to reboot to get it to work.
    First it seems to work. After Airplane mode I entered the other PIN and it was excepted. But then I got an error msg invalid sim contact your carrier.

But: I remember talking to the carrier and they told me that I need a new SIM to be able to switch without rebooting. I didn't ask for that SIM since I never use the private part now.
    Secondly: I can call with a leading * to dial private from job.
    So your test results show IT WON'T WORK ON A PALM DEVICE.
    Thank God, you had me worried there for a while...
    Sorry I don't totally agree. It may work with that new SIM which I don't have ;-).
    And you still can differentiate between job and private by using the * without rebooting.

EDIT: You make me want that sim just for the test ;-)
    Also another thing is the Palm Profile. I know Palm now supports multiple devices, but not sure if that is limited to a tablet and a phone, not sure for phone and phone.

Make sure you put one phone in airplane mode before you turn it off, don't want anyone accidentally turning it on and it connecting via Wi-Fi, and accidentally wiping one of the phones.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Quote Originally Posted by GodShapedHole View Post
    Why will the FCC not allow one number on two SIM cards? Is this one of those "America's business is business" things? If we don't let people have two phones on one contract, they'll just have to sign two contracts $$$

Here in Europe, you can easily get two SIM cards for one contract and one number, and both phones will ring when you're called. It works like a charm. I can't imagine why this isn't allowed in America.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    I think what Jay was saying about the FCC refers to CDMA, can't have 2 ESN's to the same number.

I think this comes from WAY back in the day when criminals were able to pickup your phones ID and spoof it onto another phone. I don't think that's around any more, haven't heard about it in years, actually haven't thought about it in years.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  15.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I think what Jay was saying about the FCC refers to CDMA, can't have 2 ESN's to the same number.

I think this comes from WAY back in the day when criminals were able to pickup your phones ID and spoof it onto another phone. I don't think that's around any more, haven't heard about it in years, actually haven't thought about it in years.
    Hi & thank you...I haven't heard of it for years either...it just popped into my head when I was typing my first posting.

take care,

jay
    I should add, as we know with the FCC they aren't great about adapting their policies to the current times.

So even if spoofing is something we remember from decades ago (my childhood), the FCC isn't about to start reviewing these old laws and changing them.

I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Also another thing is the Palm Profile. I know Palm now supports multiple devices, but not sure if that is limited to a tablet and a phone, not sure for phone and phone.

Make sure you put one phone in airplane mode before you turn it off, don't want anyone accidentally turning it on and it connecting via Wi-Fi, and accidentally wiping one of the phones.
    I was wondering about this. So your OK as long as both phones are never conneted to the net at the same time?
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    I was wondering about this. So your OK as long as both phones are never conneted to the net at the same time?
    As soon as one phone goes online, it'll knock the other off the Palm Profile, but yeah, it should be fine this way. I mean, it'd be a huge PITA, but it should work.

I really hope that Palm/HP allows multiple phones on the same profile soon, but I doubt it'll happen.

I mean, I'd think that this scenario, of switching between the Pre 3 and Veer with a SIM card, wouldn't be all that unlikely, but the Palm Profile does handicap you in that.

Edit: Actually now that I think about it, it wouldn't work. There's no way to force the phone to log-in to the Palm Profile. So if you sign in with the Veer, put the Veer offline, and sign in on the Pre 3, the Veer gets logged off on the site. Even going offline on the Pre 3 and turning the Veer back on, you'd still be logged in on the Pre 3, so the Veer would immediately log out.
    Last edited by jhoff80; 06/17/2011 at 04:50 PM.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I should add, as we know with the FCC they aren't great about adapting their policies to the current times.

So even if spoofing is something we remember from decades ago (my childhood), the FCC isn't about to start reviewing these old laws and changing them.

Hi all

Hahhahaha LOL, LMAO, "decades ago (my childhood)"....keep in mind I will be 56 at the end of November, decades ago. my phone number in NYC started out with a word prefix...good G-D I now feel 100 years old...

My number in Flushing Queens NYC was REbubic 9 4878...I can remember all of my friends numbers, all of the local store numbers all because they had name prefixes....Macy's Herald Square (main store), phone order business was LAkawanna 4 5000, MY AUNT WAS GEdney 6 6097.....there was a furniture store long out of business who name was Sack's Quality and their number was MElrose 5-5300....these days b/c it’s all numbers and no names plus built in electronic address books...I don’t remember anyone’s number....

(That is how the movie BUTTER FIELD 8 got it's name...in case you never saw the movie with a drop dead beautiful Liz Taylor, model who turns into a high price call girl in BUTTER FIELD 8, (BUTTER FIELD 8 was the prefix of her apartment's phone number).

....In during the 1964-65 World's Fair my Uncle, (my Mom's brother was an electrian working at the World's Fair, (they also lived next door to us))...so we got free passes, so we went a couple times a week...We lived walking distance to the Fair....I remember going dozens of times to the AT&T pavilion, when there was still only the Bell System/Bell Labs/Western Electric all owned by Ma Bell....the big attraction was the world's first push button phone.....they also showed the first uses of fiber optics, although an commercial use of it was decades away....they had the word HELLO in every language on the planet, imbedded into the walls and ceiling....they had the first speaker phones where you got to place a local call for free in a room that was wired for sound...

In those days, my Mom and my Aunt (my Mom's sister), worked in the office of a long closed restaurant @ Broadway & 48th in the middle of the theater district....that was decades before a PBX system...they had to answer the phone wearing a headset that weighed about 6 or 7 lbs....and then manually pull out a cord from the switchboard and insert the jack into the socket....you had to hold the edge of the jack to the edge of the socket to see if the small ***** light lite up, saying that the phone wasn’t in use, (busy)...

In 1964 my childhood best friend, (we are still best friends 47 years later, (I still have my other childhood best friend from kindergarten)), his family owned a RV sales and campground...they still had a party line with a woman who lived down the road......imagine a campground, RV service and sales dozens of employees and they had to share a telephone line with a woman who lived about 3 ½ miles down the road....we all used to joke that she knew as much about the Travel trailer business as my friends family, b/c on a party line, she could listen in to all of the phone calls going to my friend's family owned business.

When Star Trek first aired in 1966 none of use ever dreamt of a world where we would be walking around anywhere on the planet and being able to reach anyone at any time..or for that matter that any of us would won a computer or have a computer that you could "talk" to and it would type it, in place of a manual typewriter, (although I was the first person I knew to get a computer, first a commodore 64 and then a Tandy model 3 that cost twice what my car cost brand new!

So sorry to take us so way off subject...as my wonderful late Dad used to say...”Jay grab the wheel your starting to swerve”.........
    LOL, that's why I had to qualify it.... I turn 30 this year.

I can't even imagine dealing with phones back then, I hate talking on the phone now. Party lines and having to deal with human operators ughhhh.

Stop posting those damn tech articles Jay, and tell us about your life instead.
    Infinitely more interesting!

ps: The above sounds like a great introduction to a novel.
    x2!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast