1.    #1  
    Anyone know if it's possible to remove or disable the camera? The organization I work for does not allow cameras. If I were to purchase a veer and got pulled over for a random search on my way in, the presence of a functioning camera on my phone could get me fired.

Thanks
    IDK, It's easier to disable it on a pre where you can remove the back. Anyhow, only thing I can think of is to fill it in with glue, but I'm not sure if it could ever be reversed. On a Pre you could maybe just modify the back case to where the hole is covered.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Unless you're willing to disassemble the Veer to remove the camera (leaving the potential to put it back some day), you're best option is probably to drill into the lens to destroy it and probably fill it so there's no question your device can't film.
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    Anyone know if it's possible to remove or disable the camera? The organization I work for does not allow cameras. If I were to purchase a veer and got pulled over for a random search on my way in, the presence of a functioning camera on my phone could get me fired.

Thanks
    You need to talk to your security POC and figure out what will satisfy them. They may be satisfied with a piece of reflective tape over the lens. You just have to figure out what they consider okay.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You could see if you could get away with editing the appinfo.json to hide the camera. It'd be as if there was a hardware camera but no camera app. You can't even just type to find it. As long as the edit was in place you can't access the camera, but then you could just remove a line of code to use it.

Lemme know if you want more info.
    Quote Originally Posted by Psychonaut View Post
    You could see if you could get away with editing the appinfo.json to hide the camera. It'd be as if there was a hardware camera but no camera app. You can't even just type to find it. As long as the edit was in place you can't access the camera, but then you could just remove a line of code to use it.

Lemme know if you want more info.
    You could still access it through 3rd party apps.
    This thread makes me wonder if HP will release small batches of camera-less variants of their enterprise-targeted phones. When I worked for Nextel, several of our high-end devices were also offered sans camera for just this kind of situation.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    palm used to sell camera-free Treo models for this. Previous poster said best.. Ask the security people what others do with their iphones.
    also, removing the battery cover is no harder than on the pixi, so you could put some electrical tape over the lens and under the cover. That would be pretty safe.
    Global Posts
    145 Global Posts
    I replaced the camera in my pre+ after buying a used unit on craigslist, it was suprisingly simple if the Veer's camera is made the same way it would be quick and painless. (just looked at the teardown photos on engadget.com. It is the same, the unit is modular just take out the lens module(very easy). However I did not attempt to boot either of my Pre+ without the camera installed so I don't know if it will boot without the module installed. That being said if its this easy to remove and replaced you still may have a problem but you could destroy the contacts the module sits on but no more camera ...ever.
    Last edited by espc31; 06/15/2011 at 10:10 PM. Reason: spelling of course
    DaVince >IIIxe > Visor Platinum+visorphone > Clie-SJ33 > Tungsten T3>Palm TX>LifeDrive(Flash)>Treo 650>Treo 700p>PalmPrePlus2.1
    Quote Originally Posted by alvaro_qc View Post
    You could still access it through 3rd party apps.
    Hence, "...get away with..."
  12.    #12  
    No, tape over the lense is not acceptable. It's easy enough for someone to remove the tape, snap a pic, and replace the tape. The camera must be unusable. Blackberry phones can actually have their cameras removed. The phone will still operate but the camera app no longer appears. Many people have gone this route.

Psychonaut's suggestion seems most palatable. I'll need to ask security if that's acceptable, but the fact that I can reverese it (with diffuculty) is nice. Meanwhile, since there's a ban on connecting ANYTHING to usb ports (and scanning software that makes sure we don't) it wouldn't be possible to reverse while at work. And no, I can't bring my own laptop to work so I can't reverse it that way either.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    Ask the security people what others do with their iphones.
    This. Whatever they're doing with iphones, they can do with your Veer.

Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Wow, security at MacDonald's is really strict these days...
    They don't want word of their new sandwiches leaking out! :P

W370 -> 3500c -> Instinct ->Pre -> Legend -> Pre 2 -> Bold 9900 -> iPhone 4 -> iPhone 5 -> HP Pre 3
    Rogers -> Fido -> Bell Mobility ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------->
    Global Posts
    95 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ronlongo View Post
    No, tape over the lense is not acceptable. It's easy enough for someone to remove the tape, snap a pic, and replace the tape. The camera must be unusable. Blackberry phones can actually have their cameras removed. The phone will still operate but the camera app no longer appears. Many people have gone this route.

Psychonaut's suggestion seems most palatable. I'll need to ask security if that's acceptable, but the fact that I can reverese it (with diffuculty) is nice. Meanwhile, since there's a ban on connecting ANYTHING to usb ports (and scanning software that makes sure we don't) it wouldn't be possible to reverse while at work. And no, I can't bring my own laptop to work so I can't reverse it that way either.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions.
    Ehh, it's simpler to reverse than you think, heh. Just need to have Internalz installed, and you won't even need to connect to USB. You'd just delete "visible":false, and you're done.
    Quote Originally Posted by firebrewd View Post
    Ehh, it's simpler to reverse than you think, heh. Just need to have Internalz installed, and you won't even need to connect to USB. You'd just delete "visible":false, and you're done.
    ^^truth.
    Quote Originally Posted by espc31 View Post
    I replaced the camera in my pre+ after buying a used unit on craigslist, it was suprisingly simple if the Veer's camera is made the same way it would be quick and painless. (just looked at the teardown photos on engadget.com. It is the same, the unit is modular just take out the lens module(very easy). However I did not attempt to boot either of my Pre+ without the camera installed so I don't know if it will boot without the module installed. That being said if its this easy to remove and replaced you still may have a problem but you could destroy the contacts the module sits on but no more camera ...ever.
    I'm awfully curious about this and am sure someone has had their Veer opened up to be able to look at something like the camera, how it is connected to the rest of the board, etc. I'm more interested in being able to swap cameras, though, which of course entails some software changes. I'm quite a tinkerer but lack the expertise on this one. Does anyone have a thought on the possibility of say, replacing the Veer camera with the Pre3 camera? What would have to be done if that were possible? Even if there were a bump on the back of the Veer it would be nice to have an auto-focus unit.
    My mobile biography: Nokia 5181i & 3589i -- Motorola v60i & A630 -- Palm Treo 650, Centro, Pre Plus, MyTouch 4G Slide, Pre 2, Pre 3, Nokia Lumia 521, Veer