Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes
  1.    #1  
    Hey team,

Well, those of us who picked up the Veer on (soft) launch day are now a month in, and officially locked in to 2 years with AT&T. How're you finding the Veer experience now that the honeymoon phase is over?

For me, coming from an Evo on Sprint, I've been pleasantly surprised by AT&T's network performance. Speeds are pretty good and coverage is better on the T (subway) here in Boston.

The Veer itself performs very well even after installing many apps and stress-testing it. It's not quite as robust as the Pre2, but a much more solid experience than the Pre-. Screen size, incredibly, hasn't been much of an issue ... even coming from the 4.3" Evo.

Weigh in!
    webOS user since 20090606.
    totoro80 likes this.
    Totally agree. There are a few bugs that pop up every so often, but nothing I can't work around. It's a great phone, and I don't miss the screen real estate really at all. The small size in the pocket and in the hand is really wonderful. Not sure I could ever go back to a bigger phone. Music also sounds really fantastic compared to other portable devices.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Veer to anyone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    totoro80 likes this.
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    I am coming up on my '30 days' soon (bought my Veer a couple days after launch) and have no regrets. I will not be returning it.

Great little phone.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
    totoro80 likes this.
    Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    The Veer itself performs very well even after installing many apps and stress-testing it. It's not quite as robust as the Pre2, but a much more solid experience than the Pre-. Screen size, incredibly, hasn't been much of an issue ... even coming from the 4.3" Evo.

Weigh in!
    By 'not as robust' were you referring to physical build? Or performance?
    NNJ
    1) I heard from a lot of people about screen going blank or freezing, is that a real issue?
    2) Do you guys have to restart Veer daily to keep it running fast, like I do on my pre plus?
    If this helped you hit thanks.
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nyallj View Post
    By 'not as robust' were you referring to physical build? Or performance?
    Should've been more clear; I meant software. The hardware is ridiculously solid.

Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    1) I heard from a lot of people about screen going blank or freezing, is that a real issue?
    I'm sure it's "real" in that others are experiencing it. I haven't run into it, though. The closest I get to screen "freezes" are the SMS sending lag and the occasional webOS hiccup that we've all gotten used to.

2) Do you guys have to restart Veer daily to keep it running fast, like I do on my pre plus?
    I definitely do. Not everyone agrees that webOS suffers with prolonged uptime, but I find a daily restart keeps it running smooth.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Quote Originally Posted by kkhanmd View Post
    2: I have not felt the need to restart every day, but after several days, it seems like something or other comes up, either a reboot for a patch, or something. I don't think it's as bad as my Pre was.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    I haven't done it daily but think i should. I get some freezes and lag that maybe restarting would help. I need to doctor mine (running a stock Veer) to get an auto-reboot patch on a timer. I used to have my BB Bold power down each night and wake up to save battery, avoid emails and phone calls, and refresh memory cache. I think the Veer is the same or more needy.
    I'm not at 30 days yet, but I'm pretty sure I'll be keeping the phone. The difference between AT&T and Sprint is incredible where I live. Plus every time I try to use my Sprint Pre now it feels too big.

I like the smaller size.
    Global Posts
    15 Global Posts
    Love my Veer... Left a Palm Pre from VZW for this
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    loved the small size
    i never had to restart it, except when installing somethings
    but i can't imagine having bought the phone without knowing about PreCentral. it wasn't all that fantastic right out of the box.
    returned it due to pathetic AT&T reception
    will still be recommending it to others, though
  12. cap
    Global Posts
    79 Global Posts
    I'll be keeping it. Overall I love the Veer.
    Even though it's small it feels and looks like a real phone.
    The Pre looks like a childs toy now....so much plastic.
    Maybe it's the glass screen on the Veer that makes the difference.

The hardware is incredible and solid.
    The software has some glitches, but I assume when the TouchPad is out the door they will work on those little hickups.

I would have liked a little more screen height, but really it has been a really good phone.
    The main issue/annoyance I have is the sms delay issue. Sometimes it completely lags my whole phone if I'm getting mass texts in and somtimes makes the messaging card completely blank/white. Other than that, everything is awesome. I love the small size, people automatically say its too small and most of the people own regular blackberrys, go figure
    Global Posts
    94 Global Posts
    My main issue is I can't stop playing with it....
    SMS bug, and the odd bug (random) but nothing a restart can't fix. and most of it might be of non stop patching :-)
    Very happy with it. I am waiting on the Pre3 or Next Iphone for a second toy but I could happily stay with the Veer.
    30 days in and I am more than pleased with my Veer. I originally bought in black, had a really bad experience at att and then bought it in white and best buy and bb took care of me good.

There are a few annoyances. One major one is the camera at times is still slow to load but only when you really have a boatload of apps running and even then its not as bad as it was on the pre.. but still could be faster.

The magnetic jacks that everyone complains about, i have come to love actually. I love how my usb just finds my phone in the dark, and I love that when i get in my car after happy hour all juiced up late at night I just move my phone close to my audio jack and it snaps right on.

Also the H+ speeds are way way better than evdo and better than my GFs wimax. Now given the fact that wimax and LTE both kill your battery in a few hours and I get almost 2 days out of casual use of this veer I am very very pleased in that aspect.

some other negatives, there is a lack of veer supported apps. Slowly they are all converting but I just bought a few good ones like splashtop remote desktop and a few other games. Now games i dont care about really. they will all be back when i used the touchpad, but i need some of the other apps.

This aint no review though really, just a soundoff so yeah. Im very happy with the veer. my summar

good:
    battery life, network speed on att, rock solid build quality, magnetic cool charging/audio plug. webOS 2.2 without frankenpre!

bad:
    processor still could use some juice at times, little bugs exist in various spots still (hopefully some updates are coming), webOS calendar still isn't that great. still can't receive or send sms audio and ringtones without the patch. need more apps.
    So far, I am pretty pleased with my Veer. Like many of you have echoed, I find the small screen to be rather easy to use on a daily basis. I do find a bit annoying on some flash sites, but overall there isn't much that you cant do on the web.
    It is fairly speedy most of the time, that being said I have had some minor bugs and slowdowns, but nothing to make me regret having it.
    The Veer Peers Are Rocking PreCentral!

Props to Rennat for the sig pic!

Well... I was leaning towards keeping it anyways, but now I'm in for the long haul. Dropped it on its face onto concrete today and ended up with a crazy spiderweb. Getting a replacement from Asurion.

Womp womp womp.

$50 deductible charged to my AT&T account. Should arrive within 1-2 business days.
    I'll be coming up on 30 days late next week, but I love this phone even with its few bugs here and there. I'm optimistic that HP will fix a few of my issues in future updates.

The phone isn't for everyone, but it fit my needs perfectly. Having owned the first iPhone and then switching to my older Motorola Razr once I grabbed an iPad on release day, I wanted to go back to a smartphone only if it had a similar size as my Razr, was speedy and was free.

My appreciation for the Veer has grown now that I've finally installed preware. Also, the community here is extremely helpful.
    Just came back with mine, it's not activated thanks to Bell removing the self-serve device switch. I activated dev mode and has been playing around with it.

Since it's not activated, I couldn't comment the call quality. Although I did play with one previously at an AT&T store. With quite a bit of background noise, my friend still said it was nice and clear. I also tried playing with Voice Dial, it took my voice just fine.

Tried running Flash on it. It's FAST with a capital F. Played a few animation sites and runs just like on desktop, just need to give it a wait to properly load. I did manage to get it lock up though. If you leave YouTube running, connect and disconnect the USB drive, it seem to have made the device lock up for a bit. Also during account sync the phone became less responsive as well. Other than that this thing is crazy fast.

Audio is another annoying fly in the jar. Personally, I found it to have a bit too much bass, more than my Pre. Also the built-in speaker is rubbish, except for a small phone like this, don't expect much. The Pre's speaker is superb in comparison, when it's not blown.

Camera, well, it's an EDOF. Grainy as expected.

Hardware feels very solid. The new exposed slider rails, not sure if this might trap dust though.

Overall I'm very impressed this phone. Can't wait to get it fully activated and move all my data over.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    Totally agree. There are a few bugs that pop up every so often, but nothing I can't work around. It's a great phone, and I don't miss the screen real estate really at all. The small size in the pocket and in the hand is really wonderful. Not sure I could ever go back to a bigger phone. Music also sounds really fantastic compared to other portable devices.

I would wholeheartedly recommend the Veer to anyone.
    Couldn't have put it better myself. Really
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast