Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    Hi all,

Just wondering if there is a way to make the phone not unlock the keys when sliding open the keyboard? This phone keeps unlocking itself in my pocket and clicks on stuff. It would be nice to stay locked but not pin locked until you slide the little ball up. Sorry if this is simple, I am still very new with this webos, lol.
    it can only unlock if the slider opens. So wrap a rubber band around it, or put it in a case. Or a different pocket.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    lol, that would work. It is the slider that opens just a few millimeters and it trips the sensor. Just wondering if there was a way to disable the slider key unlock.
    Quote Originally Posted by gregh2000 View Post
    lol, that would work. It is the slider that opens just a few millimeters and it trips the sensor. Just wondering if there was a way to disable the slider key unlock.
    It could potentially be done with a patch, but there is no way to do it on a stock phone.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    You could also face the screen away from your leg. Your pocket is pretty thin, so your leg is capable of activating the touch screen through your pocket, but if it's facing out, you're less likely to activate anything if it does unlock.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    That was going to be the next thing to try. It could be because I have a Zagg on the phone that makes it a little tacky and it might be catching on my pocket too. It would be awesome for a patch to make it stay locked with the ball even after you slide the keyboard.
    Xethur likes this.
    You could set the default timeout low and use the pincode lock - this would prevent it from unlocking and keep the screen turning off quickly.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    That is a good idea it just sucks to have to use the pin lock. That will probably be what I will do though until there is a patch that would either keep it locked in keyboard out mode or delay the unlock time.
  9. lgs
    I also found this very annoying. The slide switch is just too sensitive. I ended up turning on the PIN lock on my Veer.

If security is not a high priority, then you can use a short PIN. It doesn't have to be four digits.

A patch would be welcome.
    Global Posts
    51 Global Posts
    My phone is answering when I get a call before I can get it out of my pocket. It sucks because when I am getting calls I dont want but it answers instead of going to voicemail.
    Make sure before you keep your phone in pocket, the screen is off!
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    iprice likes this.
    My Veer was unlocking in my pocket this morning - turned out that the 'silent' switch was half way between on and off.
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    I locked mine with a pin and it managed to open the keyboard just enough when pulling it out of my pocket it answered the call. Good thing I wanted to talk to that person, lol. A patch to ignore the keyboard slide would be perfect. If I knew how to do it I would make a patch.
    A lot of time taking the phone out of pocket will answer a call as the motion of sliding it against the cloth drags the lock screen slider to answer it too.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You could also face the screen away from your leg. Your pocket is pretty thin, so your leg is capable of activating the touch screen through your pocket, but if it's facing out, you're less likely to activate anything if it does unlock.
    I have this problem when I am working around the house and drop my pre in the pocket of nylon shorts or sweats without the softcase...
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    If only you had to slide horizontally to unlock the screen, or slide top to bottom. Either of those would result in less pocket answering than the current default of sliding bottom to top. here is hoping to an option in an update or a patch.
    I think "slide outside the ring" to unlock was a conscious choice to make it different from iOS.

I think a pin lock is there to stop this from happening , I know it was there for all candybar phones (palm Pixi esque) for similar reason.
    Last edited by sapient2k7; 06/17/2011 at 10:12 PM. Reason: clarity
    Global Posts
    22 Global Posts
    So taking the Zagg off my phone seems to help a lot. The Zagg is sticky that gets stuck to my pocket lol.
    The problem I have is that I have a PIN lock code and reset/wipe (outlook profile) after 8 attempts.

The phone will start the unlock process and the pocket will hit the done button multiple times and the phone will start to reset/wipe

I've lost count of the number of times I've pulled my Veer from my pocket to see it has reset or is in the middle of resetting.

Sad Wombat
    I for one am willing to donate $5 to the person willing to make this patch. I would prefer the screen to stay off when the slide is moved. Especially since I have my screen setup to never auto off (manual off only)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast