View Poll Results: Do you care that the Veer & Pre3 are high radiation phones?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope. It keeps my face warm in the winter.

30 81.08%
  • I'll just use a low SAR bluetooth headset and only keep my nads warm.

5 13.51%
  • Now that you mention it, maybe I should consider another phone.

0 0%
  • Its a deal breaker. No brain/nad cancer for me, thank you.

2 5.41%
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By rlee2001
  • 1 Post By Cantaffordit
  1.    #1  
    So, given the latest admission by the WHO that cell phone radiation may cause cancer I was hoping to replace my 1.58 SAR (.02 away from the legal maximum) with a safer phone. I love WebOS but it looks like the Veer (1.38) and the Pre3 (1.4) are both still relatively high radiation "cancer phones".

Before everyone jumps in to deny any cancer links because the jury is still out on this I'll tell you why I am concerned: My wife has breast cancer. If you were me would you bring a sexy Pre3 (1.40) into the house or a less sexy HTC Legend (0.45)? Seriously.

Am I the only one who worries about this? Why do hardly any reviews on any phone mention this? If people continue to make it a non-issue then the manufacturers will continue to make high SAR phones. Would you rather have have a high SAR phone next to your brain (and 6" from your nads) or a low one?
    Quote Originally Posted by xylenz View Post
    Am I the only one who worries about this? Why do hardly any reviews on any phone mention this?
    Because for all the uncertainty surrounding whether cell phones cause cancer or not to begin with, there's even less evidence to suggest SAR has anything to do with it. There's absolutely no point in calling attention to something like this until we have more information.

Sorry for your situation, but don't post a thread asking questions like this if you don't want people to come in and say "use a Bluetooth headset"/"nothing's proven yet"/etc.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Global Posts
    319 Global Posts
    I won't jump in and deny or question your decision, but to answer your question...

Am I the only one who worries about this? Why do hardly any reviews on any phone mention this? If people continue to make it a non-issue then the manufacturers will continue to make high SAR phones. Would you rather have have a high SAR phone next to your brain (and 6" from your nads) or a low one?
    I do not worry about it. I have read the science, and have discussed it with people, and at the end of the day I am not worried. But at the end of the day you have to do what you think is best.
    the pre3 has a lower sar rating on some websites....seems to be some conflicting info. Doubt t would be that high given pre/pre2 were low prob know more closer to launch

..agree veer is a lttle on the hgh side so waiting for pre3 myself.
    Life is either a daring adventure or nothing. Security does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than exposure.

- Helen Keller -

I choose my adventure to be webOS multitasked

I wish your wife the very best. But, I'd change nothing based on the recent WHO statement.
    HelloNNNewman likes this.
    two words: speaker phone.
    EDIT: The radiation levels are so nominal it's completely moot.
    Last edited by Jakeeeee; 06/14/2011 at 08:46 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by rwhitby View Post
    We always prefer that people donate in response to tangible items they can use today, rather than for intangible promises about the future that may or may not be possible to achieve.
    There is way more radiation coming from a ton of other devices in your house, the TV, laptop, computer, powercables etc. The earth is bombarded by tons of radiation all of the time from the sun.

There is tons of radiation around us. All the time. Even humans and pets emit radiation.

Actually, the human body would actually die if not exposed to a reasonable dose of radiation, just like if you were never exposed to germs. Your natural defense systems would go out of control.

Furthermore bringing a cell phone into your house or not will have very little effect on the radiation you recieve from cell phone signals. When transmitting and recieving cellphone signals, both the phone and tower emit the radiation in an omnidirectional pattern everywhere around them. So even if you didnt have cell phones in your house, your neighbours would be making the problem worse.

I am sorry your wife contracted breast cancer, but you cannot control the world around her, she will be bombarded by tons of radiation all day. Taking a tiny dose of that out will probably have zinch effect.

The only certainties are known carcinogens like sunlight, cigarettes, etc. Your wife should avoid these.

But we just dont know enough about radiation from all these other sources, and a lot of studies are contradictory.

An some radiation is even good. That is what radiation therapy is, controlled radiation to kill cancer cells.

A study even found that cancer patients who underwent MRI scans were actually better off after; ie the radiation from the MRI was actually helping their condition.

The bottom line is we just dont know at this point and you could actually be making things worse by not knowing the effects of your decisions.

Just don't overthink all of it and enjoy the time you and your wife have together, which I hope is a long while considering most breast cancer is curable.

Good luck dude.
    You can cite studies until you are blue in the face and still not have an actual case: there are infinite numbers of studies on both sides of any issue.

Best to read the literature, educate yourself, and draw your own conclusions... and allow others to draw theirs.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    So, given the latest admission by the WHO that cell phone radiation may cause cancer I was hoping to replace my 1.58 SAR (.02 away from the legal maximum) with a safer phone. I love WebOS but it looks like the Veer (1.38) and the Pre3 (1.4) are both still relatively high radiation "cancer phones".

Before everyone jumps in to deny any cancer links because the jury is still out on this I'll tell you why I am concerned: My wife has breast cancer. If you were me would you bring a sexy Pre3 (1.40) into the house or a less sexy HTC Legend (0.45)? Seriously.

eh to be honest all the cell phones and radios around u are no good. and i cant believe a bluetooth headset helps. bluetooth needs a radio to transmit after all ..
    best thing no matter what phone, if u have cancer concerns just stick a headset in there. no matter the phone
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    The other thing to note is that the amount of radiation you receive decreases dramatically the farther away you are from it. So if there is any potential threat of cancer from a cell phone, which I personally doubt, there is no chance it will impact anyone but the user.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    the answer is to use txt messages and twitter, and stop answering the phone when people call.
    OldSkoolVWLover likes this.
    Quote Originally Posted by innocentbystander View Post
    You can cite studies until you are blue in the face and still not have an actual case: there are infinite numbers of studies on both sides of any issue.

Best to read the literature, educate yourself, and draw your own conclusions... and allow others to draw theirs.
    Except that you can cite studies. It's near impossible to perform a study to rule something out, but there has not been a single study that conclusively could say "Yes, cell phones cause cancer."

Cell phones emit non-ionizing radiation. Other things that are non-ionizing radiation: radios (which is what the cell phone is), microwaves, and visible light. All non-ionizing radiation does is heat things up. So technically your smartphone could make your brain boil, but it's not going to give you cancer. Just like high tension power lines, eggs, and burnt toast aren't going to give you cancer.

We're exposed to large amounts of radiation every day from the building we work in, the computers we use, the Earth itself, and - most importantly - the sun. My cellphone is of little concern.
    "'Form follows function' that has been misunderstood. Form and function should be one, joined in a spiritual union."
    Frank Lloyd Wright
    Quote Originally Posted by ijip View Post
    eh to be honest all the cell phones and radios around u are no good. and i cant believe a bluetooth headset helps. bluetooth needs a radio to transmit after all ..
    best thing no matter what phone, if u have cancer concerns just stick a headset in there. no matter the phone

I strongly suggest bluetooth or a wired headset to reduce risk if you believe that you are at risk. The reality is that the radiation falls off at the square of distance and you need only move the phone a short way away to reduce risk dramatically. Bluetooth is exceptionally low power - so while it is very close to you - it has very little output so the risk is considerably lower than a cellphone. Furthermore - the wireless routers in your house (if you have them) are putting out more signal at a distance than the headset will next to you and I'm sure you think nothing of that.

Risks are like anything - they are easy to get swept up in and blow them out of proportion. Pretend for a moment that a cell phone with SAR of 1.6 is too much and causes cancer - how much increase in rate does it take for that to be enough to push you away from that phone - 0.00000001%? 1%? 10%?

I'm not telling you not to be concerned - but I am telling you to make an informed decision and take into account other sources of radiation both ionizing and non-ionizing... and then decide if you want to eliminate those items that have higher potential impact than the cell phone - before you pick on this one device.
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek Kessler View Post
    Except that you can cite studies. It's near impossible to perform a study to rule something out, but there has not been a single study that conclusively could say "Yes, cell phones cause cancer."

Cell phones emit non-ionizing radiation. Other things that are non-ionizing radiation: radios (which is what the cell phone is), microwaves, and visible light. All non-ionizing radiation does is heat things up. So technically your smartphone could make your brain boil, but it's not going to give you cancer. Just like high tension power lines, eggs, and burnt toast aren't going to give you cancer.

We're exposed to large amounts of radiation every day from the building we work in, the computers we use, the Earth itself, and - most importantly - the sun. My cellphone is of little concern.
    This a very good technical explaination.. all should read it; the risk is much lower than what appears to be publically stated.

To the OP...

Without going into details, I'm no stranger to the world of having someone very close to me with a cancer, only my family memeber has a late stage and terminal classified form, and, so, I do understand your concerns - however, the bottom line is, mobile devices have become a necessity for our lives over the past few years, and, if you feel that using them in certain ways puts you at risk, then it would be prudent for you to modify how you use them to reduce what you percieve to be the risk: use headsets and speakerphone...

The WebOS devices, however, are very unique in the latter regard, as we charge them on the touchstone and speakerphone use is incredibly automated and very usable in that position, while other phones do not have wireless chargers that allow default operation to speakerphones.

So, while their "radiation levels" may be moderately high, you can reduce overall exposure altogether by using them on their touchstone chargers whenever you can.

Best of luck to you and yours.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

The Specific Absorption Rate (SAR) is dependent on the carrier and system used. Usually the GSM frequencies have higher SAR than UMTS at almost half for the same phone model. My previous Palm pre has .99 compared to IPhone at 1.28 on UMTS (O2 Ireland). I do not believe it can go lower to 0.45 with the 3G radio on its just marketing. If there is no radiation then your phone must be off LOL. The carriers using 2.1GHz UMTS /HSPA use less power for longer distances than GSM counterparts (i.e. same distance) and where the Cells are very close to each other like in a dense populated city center the phone radio will negotiate the best TX power with acceptable BER (bit error rate) in order to preserve battery. In reality allot more is happening behind the scenes and its hard to tell (as it depends on too many factors) what is an average SAR for a phone. Far as i know CDMA requires higher power levels than other standards but i could be wrong,->>GSM for sure
    I could get more exact specs if needed.
    That's about living in a radiated world
    Regards Sylma

I quit using my phone and now use it as a microwave to heat up my food