Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Didn't really want to post this, but it's relevant and wanted to hear feedback.

I was at my local Best Buy in Cambridge, MA the other day and asked a sales guy in the mobile section if they had the Veer in stock (Veer wasn't on the sales floor at all). This is how the conversation went.

Me: "Do you guys have the Veer in stock?"
    BBY: "The what?"
    Me: "The Veer."
    BBY: "Oh, the HP phone?"
    Me: "Yeah."
    BBY: "That's a horrible phone."
    Me: "No it isn't; I own one. I just wondered if you had any in stock."
    BBY: "Oh. Well, that's what customers have been saying, anyway."

He checked and they had two in stock. Thanked him and left.

I complained about this encounter on Best Buy's Facebook page - they were quick to respond, and asked me to email them so they could correct this employee's product disparagement (big deal in retail). I haven't reported him, because I don't want to get anyone fired. Anyway ...

I went to the Best Buy Mobile location in that same mall on the same day, wondering if the experience would be better. Here's how it went.

BBYM: "The what?"
    Me: "The HP Veer?"
    BBYM: "Oh. No. It's been getting bad reviews."
    Me (flabbergasted): "What? Where?"
    BBYM: "Well, we've had customers come in with that phone asking how do they get rid of it?"
    Me: "Really? What's the problem?"
    BBYM: "They say it freezes up, and turns off, and whatever."

I realize this is really worthless as an analysis of nationwide trends, coming as it does from one geographic area, but I still found it troubling. Especially after nearly everyone here is in agreement that the Veer runs really well compared to older webOS hardware.

What do you think? Is this happening all across the land? Are most of us at P|C happy with the Veer just because it runs better than our old Pres? Or is it really widely liked everywhere but the Boston area?
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Hey!
    read the reviews here Amazon:Customer reviews:HP Veer 4G webOS Phone, Black (AT&T)

all are great even the 2 star review
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Hey!
    Hope you don't mind I used your quote as a signature - I really found it to best encapsulate the feelings I have toward the Veer. It's not related to this post at all ... it's my persistent sig. Sorry I didn't ask permission first; PM me if you'd like me to take it down.
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post

I was at my local Best Buy in Cambridge, MA the other day and asked a sales guy in the mobile section if they had the Veer in stock (Veer wasn't on the sales floor at all). This is how the conversation went.

I complained about this encounter on Best Buy's Facebook page - they were quick to respond, and asked me to email them so they could correct this employee's product disparagement (big deal in retail). I haven't reported him, because I don't want to get anyone fired. Anyway ...

I went to the Best Buy Mobile location in that same mall on the same day, wondering if the experience would be better. Here's how it went.

BBYM: "Well, we've had customers come in with that phone asking how do they get rid of it?"

I realize this is really worthless as an analysis of nationwide trends, coming as it does from one geographic area, but I still found it troubling. Especially after nearly everyone here is in agreement that the Veer runs really well compared to older webOS hardware.

What do you think? Is this happening all across the land? Are most of us at P|C happy with the Veer just because it runs better than our old Pres? Or is it really widely liked everywhere but the Boston area?
    I wonder if people are really coming to them and saying its freezing up.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    That is a brutal 2 star review. He should have given it at least a 3. You cant give it 2 stars and then recommend someone try it.
  7.    #7  
    ^^ I didn't get the impression that the second employee was lying about the customer feedback. She seemed like she was telling the truth.
    ^^ I didn't get the impression that the second employee was lying about the customer feedback. She seemed like she was telling the truth.
    That means either there are bad units floating around, people not familiar w webOS and hence thinking its slow or something wrong, or Veer is indeed freezing up, maybe Veer require a daily restart and no one is telling them to restart daily.
    If this helped you hit thanks.
    Global Posts
    960 Global Posts
    well all those reviews seems to be ****** based more than neything -=X

i dont get it though i dont understand people saying the phone freezes on them. ive had the original pre since it launched and i can count on one hand the number of crashes... maybe a lil more but def less than ten of them. the only thing i can say is annoying is that when it does crash the os takes forever to load back up -=\ i hope webos 3.0 realy brings us instant on or we will be in trouble =\\\
    Want to help design and write an app?
    follow me at Twiiter @ijip
    THANKS~!!
    Global Posts
    11 Global Posts
    She probably was. I've owned my Veer for a couple weeks now and it has frozen up maybe once or twice. Not a huge deal but I could see how it might annoy the average consumer. Between that, and what seems like a 1-2 startup time at times, could turn off some people who aren't in love with other aspects of the phone. Love WebOS overall and happy to try something different.
    I get freezes off and on. And still getting the black screen after I'm done with phone calls and keeping my fingers away from the proximity sensor isn't helping. Had to restart it twice already today. wonder if it's a phone problem and I should replace since I am in my 30 days. What do you guys think?
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by riw View Post
    I get freezes off and on. And still getting the black screen after I'm done with phone calls and keeping my fingers away from the proximity sensor isn't helping. Had to restart it twice already today. wonder if it's a phone problem and I should replace since I am in my 30 days. What do you guys think?
    I think you should report that issue in the bugs thread, if you haven't already, and send some log files to the error-reporting address. It behooves all of us to report major bugs as they develop, so webOS issues can be corrected.
    what's the error reporting address
    Sales people will do whatever to sell you something they want to sell and maximize their own gains. Including lying.

I have heard numerous stories about people going to big box stores looking for point and shoot cameras, and end up being told to buy a DSLR, and claim it does the same thing.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI… T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    I just stopped by a bestbuy and talked to the guy in the tablet department since thats the only place they have a working veer demo. I showed him now to give a quick demo, pointed him to precentral, and explained a few things on the cardboard touchpad that was sitting on the HP display. He was impressed, and promised to read up on webOS.

the people in the cell phone department are useless.
    Well I posted the issue in the bugs thread. I had sort of done it before with the black screen after phone calls. The freeze ups (as in screen still visable) are less frequent, more frequent is everything goes black and then I need to do a restart (power plus sound button) to get the phone functioning again. If a customer had this experience and went to both best buys then they would get the same report.

I have gone into BB's in the Atlanta area and I have had similar responses by BB employees. I believe its total lack of being lazy and wanting to learn the OS. When I push these employees to tell me something about the Veer or webOS, they don't have knowledge or understanding of the operating system, and it really shows! They are getting trained, but like I said, many sales associates I run into are just too lazy to learn anything that's not Android, WM7 or iOS.

If anyone doesnít believe me, go into a retailer that sells a webOS device, besides Sprint! Ask them the most basic questions about how it works, and many will not know. The one I talked to at BB didnít know what a gesture area was on the Veer but could tell me abundant information about how android works.

Blaming the faults of the Veer on what other people say can make or break a decision at the register. I donít condone this action if these complaints are true, but based on tech reviews and whatís been posted on here, I just canít believe it.
    All I can say is that I've been to three BBs in the Twin Cities area, and the sales force only ever has good things to say about the Veer.
    dont blame the employee, blame hp or bb for not properly training there staff.

With all due respect, if you don't inform Best Buy of the individuals involved, they can't correct them. If they are unwilling to properly do their job, then they should be fired and replaced with someone willing to do it right. Jobs are not a right...they should be EARNED, and then kept by doing a satisfactory job. There are ways to "steer" people without trashing a product.

If you take no action, then neither does Best Buy, and the problem continues.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast