Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    for two reasons:
    1) terrible AT&T reception at home
    2) I just can't get used to the 1/2-second lag time of webOS

can you talk me out of it? am i missing something?

i do really, really love the size and the keyboard on the Veer.

i'm going back to my ancient Centro. it's fast, one-handed, with a page-down button. not to mention unlimited $10 data with my old Sprint plan. no idea how much longer i can get by on it, but the Veer has not convinced me its an improvement. :-(

i might still buy a touchpad tablet though, for using around the house, maybe sync it up with a next-gen Veer at some point in the future
    Quote Originally Posted by gamoses View Post
    for two reasons:

i'm going back to my ancient Centro. it's fast, one-handed, with a page-down button. not to mention unlimited $10 data with my old Sprint plan. no idea how much longer i can get by on it, but the Veer has not convinced me its an improvement. :-(

i might still buy a touchpad tablet though, for using around the house, maybe sync it up with a next-gen Veer at some point in the future
    Try a Pre2 on VZW?
    Wait for a Pre3 - but that's a big size jump.
    r u positive youll be able to get back on your old plan? if you dont like the speed i am sure overclocking will happen in the near future.
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    for two reasons:

When you say 1/2 second lag time, what does that mean? Lag opening apps, switching, touching, what specifically is lagging.
    Im guessing the texting SMS lag.....its PITA after a while.
    Global Posts
    816 Global Posts
    as far as signal, at&t may be willing to give you (or definitely give you a discount) on an airrave if you say that you want to drop the line in part due to the signal.
    I am surprised you see a 1/2 second wait to use the Veer. At times, yes, I have seen delays but only occasionally. I recommend leaving your programs open. I recognize that this it is a knee-jerk reaction to close apps but don't. just leave the important ones open. lightining fast.
    ...This programming stuff is actually addictive but really hard :/
    Quote Originally Posted by nhavar View Post
    When you say 1/2 second lag time, what does that mean? Lag opening apps, switching, touching, what specifically is lagging.
    As a former centro owner, I think that maybe he's talking about app startup time. On the centro an app started nearly instantaneously. It took a while before I got used to the fact that webos apps don't start instantaneously like they did on PalmOS. And I doubt that webOS will get to that level of instant anytime soon.

I have two reactions to this:
    1. Half-second is actually *MUCH* better than it was back when this whole thing started
    2. The things I get for that half-second are much better than the things I give up (IMHO).
    Twitter: dullgeek
    does your sms app (or phone app) allow you to request a delivery receipt? If it does, turn it off. I think the delay is from the carrier, not webos.
    Well can't return mine. Gotta sell it. I bought it outright and well, don't like it one bit.

1) It's slow. I dont care what you say, this thing is NOT SNAPPY, hoping pre3 can do better. It's happened numerous times, that screen just goes black in the middle of something. and I press power and do the gestures and it wont come back on, but after about 10 seconds or so, it just comes back on. Doesn't appear to be hardware issue... just ridiculous amount of lag.
    I download Ground Effect (game) Not even playable, again, ridiculous amount of LAG.

2) I knew going into this, it's small. TOO SMALL for my taste.

3) Lack of apps, and I mean lack of USEFUL apps. not just fart apps. webOS really lacks developer support. Sadly, this is not even a Veer issue, it's a webOS issue.

4)Ok. Why does palm use the lcd screens with the touch matrix on it? Might not annoy others but it annoys the crap out of me. on dark screen, outside... you see the dots all over the screen. Clearly it's for Touch Sensitivity, but no other phone I have ever used has it. they're annoying and look cheap.
    Last edited by sdguy101; 06/14/2011 at 01:11 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post
    As a former centro owner, I think that maybe he's talking about app startup time. On the centro an app started nearly instantaneously. It took a while before I got used to the fact that webos apps don't start instantaneously like they did on PalmOS. And I doubt that webOS will get to that level of instant anytime soon.

1. Half-second is actually *MUCH* better than it was back when this whole thing started
    2. The things I get for that half-second are much better than the things I give up (IMHO).
    Does OP mean 1/2 as in half or 1/2 as in one to two seconds.

Psychologically that can be a huge difference. Half a second is (to me at least) acceptable, where as 1-2 seconds can seem unbearable.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    Well can't return mine. Gotta sell it. I bought it outright and well, don't like it one bit.

1) It's slow. I dont care what you say, this thing is NOT SNAPPY, hoping pre3 can do better. It's happened numerous times, that screen just goes black in the middle of something. and I press power and do the gestures and it wont come back on, but after about 10 seconds or so, it just comes back on. Doesn't appear to be hardware issue... just ridiculous amount of lag.
    I download Ground Effect (game) Not even playable, again, ridiculous amount of LAG.

2) I knew going into this, it's small. TOO SMALL for my taste.

3) Lack of apps, and I mean lack of USEFUL apps. not just fart apps. webOS really lacks developer support. Sadly, this is not even a Veer issue, it's a webOS issue.

4)Ok. Why does palm use the lcd screens with the touch matrix on it? Might not annoy others but it annoys the crap out of me. on dark screen, outside... you see the dots all over the screen. Clearly it's for Touch Sensitivity, but no other phone I have ever used has it. they're annoying and look cheap.
    I just played with one a couple of days ago at an ATT store.. the manager was using it as HIS personal phone.

1. I have no idea how this wasn't "snappy" - the store manager said it was reliable and incredibly fast, and that was my hands on, as well. You make it sound as if it's really painful to use.. you may have a defective unit.

2. Too small.. well, that certainly is subjective... it is too small for me, but, not because its size makes it difficult to use, I just want, and need more screen space to work with.

3. Lack of apps? I dunno.. I guess that's subjective...

4. Screen display is very sharp on the Veer. Consider its resolution and screen size, and it really is quite good. I believe most smartphone displays today will not view well in direct sunlight, though.. unless they are AMOLED.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    2 Global Posts
    Thanks to GooSync & Hobbyist Software it’s hard to justify giving up my Centro – as you mentioned
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    I just played with one a couple of days ago at an ATT store.. the manager was using it as HIS personal phone.

1. I have no idea how this wasn't "snappy" - the store manager said it was reliable and incredibly fast, and that was my hands on, as well. You make it sound as if it's really painful to use.. you may have a defective unit.

2. Too small.. well, that certainly is subjective... it is too small for me, but, not because its size makes it difficult to use, I just want, and need more screen space to work with.

3. Lack of apps? I dunno.. I guess that's subjective...

4. Screen display is very sharp on the Veer. Consider its resolution and screen size, and it really is quite good. I believe most smartphone displays today will not view well in direct sunlight, though.. unless they are AMOLED.

1. switch between cards is the only thing I find snappy. The OS could use a bit more polishing. Obviously bugs a present. Contact management is just blah in my opinion. Can't even delete some contacts, even with profiles deleted.

2. Again I already said i knew going into it, i'm not saying it's a negative. Subjective like you said.

3. I dont think that's subjective. It really does lack the apps and the app development. There's really no way you can compare it to the AppStore and Market. I realize majority of the apps are crap anyways but even good ones lack webOS support. Even developers spend their resources coding for iOS or Android, webOS is always an afterthought, if there is one.

4. By matrix i meant, the little dots all over the screen (squares). Kind of like touch sensors for the screen. Look at your palm in the light at different angles which screen is of dark... you'll see em, all the palms pre's have em. including the Veer. They're just annoying as fudge, especially if you notice them once, you'll notice them over and over. Screen resolution is fine, I'm not complaining about that.
    I know how mad you can get with the lag. I get very mad at my pre 2. I dont remember this lag with 1.4.5
    Global Posts
    294 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sdguy101 View Post
    1. switch between cards is the only thing I find snappy. The OS could use a bit more polishing. Obviously bugs a present. Contact management is just blah in my opinion. Can't even delete some contacts, even with profiles deleted.

2. Again I already said i knew going into it, i'm not saying it's a negative. Subjective like you said.

3. I dont think that's subjective. It really does lack the apps and the app development. There's really no way you can compare it to the AppStore and Market. I realize majority of the apps are crap anyways but even good ones lack webOS support. Even developers spend their resources coding for iOS or Android, webOS is always an afterthought, if there is one.

4. By matrix i meant, the little dots all over the screen (squares). Kind of like touch sensors for the screen. Look at your palm in the light at different angles which screen is of dark... you'll see em, all the palms pre's have em. including the Veer. They're just annoying as fudge, especially if you notice them once, you'll notice them over and over. Screen resolution is fine, I'm not complaining about that.
    I find the screen on Palm phones to be easily viewable in direct sunlight unlike many other phones I've seen. For that I can live with seeing dots.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by mu7efcer View Post

x2 to both, couldn't imagine using a Centro/PalmOS again
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    This is my last day to cancel my AT&T contract without an ETF, but I came to the opposite decision. The idea of giving my Veer back and going back to my Evo as a daily driver just carries too many trade-offs. I'm happier with the webOS experience than any other platform ... bugs and all.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    for two reasons:
    Why I love and hate having a smartphone - The Oatmeal

LOL! That is brilliant. That whole sequence of strips is.
    Twitter: dullgeek
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    wow, that was a lot more responses than i anticipated in a few hours' time!
    no complaints about the webOS community, that's for sure! :-)

i'll definitely ask AT&T if there's a way to improve the signal. that alone might convince me to stay.

the lag time i was referring to is the half-second that follows nearly every click, specifically in the calendar app (which is what i use most)

i think it's about whether you're comparing your smartphone to a computer or to the old PalmOS. yes, it's a lot faster than my laptop, and about the same as other smartphones i've played with. BUT it's still a lot slower than I want to live with every day. quite honestly, in the two seconds it takes to bring up the calendar, scroll to the right time, and switch to the right category, i might just forget what i was intending to add in the first place.

my Centro has a button that brings up the calendar and lets me start typing an entry with a lag time of about one nanosecond. i don't think i realized how spoiled i was.

it's like Apple somehow convinced everyone that a pretty GUI is somehow better than a simplistic one, and everyone else followed suit.

and i have to say this one again, because it's another biggie for me: I miss the page-down button! scrolling with a finger is driving me crazy. how do you consistently move the bottom of the page to the top without under- or over-shooting it? consequently, my arm gets tired, LOL

and I have yet to find an app that I really NEED, that would make me think all the above headaches are worth the switch to a modern OS. (Neato is cool, but it wasn't much of an inconvenience before to just txt myself a URL)

thank you, everyone! i really am still learning a lot from you. :-)

btw, i would definitely prefer the Veer to a Razr, but i'm pretty happy with the Centro as a middle ground
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast