Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    I'm sure it was probably the tenth take of that scene and they didn't want to **** her off by having her try and hit the gesture area without looking, for the eleventh time. Good catch though!
    no doubt! I was thinking when i saw it "every one know not to hold webOS phones BY the gesture area" then i remembered she probably hadnt used one before the shoot!
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    "Works like nothing else" -- It's like saying.. "Just different"

Not as good as anything else? Better than other everything else? It Just sounds awful to me.

Still wish there was a way to switch like this on the touchpad. Makes for UI interaction fragmentation
    "like nothing else" is similar to "one in a million" its kind of implied that the subject is different in a good way...
    Ok so there's 2 different ads, so far, and that's good. I think it will be a good marketing campaign. Keep the same style with the item, be it Pre3, TouchPad, futureslabphone, and I think it'll start growing on people. The rotation will get higher when the 3 products become available and then the whole world will know. Haven't had the luxury to see one of these in the wild, working nightshift, I get home and nothing's on tv, I wake up and nothing's on tv. So say they only make two, (almost think they have at least another one, if not 2, Veer anyway), commercials per unit....2Veer, 2Pre3, 2TouchPad.... I think having 6 product commercials all at once would result in a fairly high rotation period. I'll guess six commercial breaks in a one-hour show. They could really start slamming the ads once they are all out there.

as for the Works like nothing else I think it's a little more inventive than "Well....if you don't have an iPhone...........then you don't have an iPhone"......no offence there IcerC, but.....It Just sounds awful to me.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    You mean that space ship being built on what used to be HP's property? I don't think so. The land will protect her :P
    But... but... the Death Star destroys planets!!!
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLI T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by mc_gusto View Post
    Nice. This was mentioned in this article as well as many others including Russell Brand, Lea Michele (glee) and Kanye and JayZ. Im sure the last 2 and Lebron will be doing the Pre3 and TP
    HPs New Campaign Starring Russell Brand? - AgencySpy
    FYI, the people who run HP's campaign from the article, McCann, used to handle Verizon's advertising. They were ousted last year by McGarry Bowen, who did the Droid ads. McCann saw the writing on the wall when VzW got McGarry to do the Droid campaign. Proved well for them and they took the rest of their business to McGarry Bowen.

Just an FYI for you people.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I love it. I have seen more ads from HP about the Veer, than I saw from Palm/Sprint/Verizon for Pre/Pre Plus/Pre 2/Pixi combined. And these ads actually make sense. They are targeting exactly who their intended audience is. Tweens

When I mentioned in another thread that this is a tween phone, some guy didn't like it. Maybe he was one of those 30 something year olds that jumped the gun and went out and bought the Veer instead of waiting for the Pre3.
    Quote Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
    I love it. I have seen more ads from HP about the Veer, than I saw from Palm/Sprint/Verizon for Pre/Pre Plus/Pre 2/Pixi combined. And these ads actually make sense. They are targeting exactly who their intended audience is. Tweens

When I mentioned in another thread that this is a tween phone, some guy didn't like it. Maybe he was one of those 30 something year olds that jumped the gun and went out and bought the Veer instead of waiting for the Pre3.
    don't forget about the boxers
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    952 Global Posts
    iCarly uses Pear Computer products. Haha.

I'm worried though, if my older daughter hasn't seen this commercial already, she will soon enough. She loves iCarly, and I can see her wanting one. If it plays Angry Birds then she'll want it even more. At least we aren't AT&T customers, nor are we going to be.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by sledge007 View Post
    don't forget about the boxers
    Let me put it to you this way.

Do tweens know who Pacman is? - Yes

Do adults know who Miranda cosgrove is? - Amanda who?
    Quote Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post

The statement that tweens should like it does not also imply that only tweens should like it (logical fallacy: all widgets are brown, therefore all brown things are widgets).

But when you call it a "tween phone", it does imply that it is only for tweens, making non-tweens who use it a little ticked off. It's like telling a guy that you really like his car, it's a great girls' car. It's likely to tick him off a bit, no matter what kind of car it is.

My daughter is a tween, and she loves the Veer, loved the Pixi before that. I am not a tween, and I love the Veer. It is ridiculous and absurd to suggest that everything my daughter likes is only for tweens. After all, she likes my car.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Another screen cap from NICK tumblr

Nickelodeon Kids
    Quote Originally Posted by laoh View Post
    Sigh... I guess I'm officially OWD. Have no idea who she is.
    Me too.
    I'm so old I fart dust.
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    The statement that tweens should like it does not also imply that only tweens should like it (logical fallacy: all widgets are brown, therefore all brown things are widgets).

But when you call it a "tween phone", it does imply that it is only for tweens, making non-tweens who use it a little ticked off. It's like telling a guy that you really like his car, it's a great girls' car. It's likely to tick him off a bit, no matter what kind of car it is.

My daughter is a tween, and she loves the Veer, loved the Pixi before that. I am not a tween, and I love the Veer. It is ridiculous and absurd to suggest that everything my daughter likes is only for tweens. After all, she likes my car.
    You said everything I was going to, only you said it better. Thank you.

-One of the (almost-) 30-year-olds with a Veer.
    webOS user since 20090606.
    Ok, this is a great commercial, no doubt, but, the really sad thing is...

That because I have a daughter that is 18 and loved (and still does) Nickelodeon, I have MORE than intimate knowledge of thier shows and cartoons...

For instance, iCarly's Miranda's Cosgrove is a spinoff from a show where she played the arrogant little sister of Josh on "Jake and Josh".

I REALLY, really need to get a life.. but, only after I catch the next Spongebob Squarepants episode without anyone knowing!

Again, seriously, this was a terrific commercial, and I can see that it is becoming a template for media stars in all age groups for the Veer.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    You said everything I was going to, only you said it better. Thank you.

-One of the (almost-) 30-year-olds with a Veer.
    And I'm 40 and may get a Veer. I have to see it side by side with a Pre3, and most likely I'll get the Pre3, but I haven't ruled out the Veer.

I agree with the others, this is a great add, and really showcases how the phone can appeal to a certain market segment. Just don't rule out the parents of that market segment. It apeals to us, too.
    Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Ok, this is a great commercial, no doubt, but, the really sad thing is...

That because I have a daughter that is 18 and loved (and still does) Nickelodeon, I have MORE than intimate knowledge of thier shows and cartoons...

For instance, iCarly's Miranda's Cosgrove is a spinoff from a show where she played the arrogant little sister of Josh on "Jake and Josh".

I REALLY, really need to get a life.. but, only after I catch the next Spongebob Squarepants episode without anyone knowing!

Again, seriously, this was a terrific commercial, and I can see that it is becoming a template for media stars in all age groups for the Veer.
    I actually admire you guys for having kids and knowing who she is. It means your children are important to you.
    It be sad if your kids liked her and you didn't know who she was.
    One thing to remember is that lots of parents don't know much about phones and turn to their children for electronic advice. If you can target the younger audience and convince them that this cooler than all the "droid" phones on the TV then they are likely to pass that onto their parents. The simple fact is that we are not in a position to judge the ads or their audience. We are all webOS enthusiasts, are very biased, and we all know what is cooler and coming (e.g. Pre 3). Most consumers don't watch the tech sites, and they just want a phone. That is why we all hear them all ask those silly questions to the reps in stores. They just don't have a clue.

I think HP is bang on by trying to diversify their marketing audience and go after the younger crowd. If you can convert them to webOS now, they will bring others with them later.
    The Veer Peers Are Rocking PreCentral!

Props to Rennat for the sig pic!

Global Posts
    124 Global Posts
    I'm taking back my earlier criticism of the HP Veer launch. I'm impressed with the advertising they've lined up so far. I don't think the phone will be a hit but no blame can be laid at the feet of the HP marketing department imo.
    There's apparently also an iCarly app for Veer now, by HP, so maybe they're thinking that helps with the ads?
    Quote Originally Posted by Moeferd View Post
    One thing to remember is that lots of parents don't know much about phones and turn to their children for electronic advice. If you can target the younger audience and convince them that this cooler than all the "droid" phones on the TV then they are likely to pass that onto their parents.
    Dad - "I need a new phone, my old iPhone is on its last legs."

Daughter - "Daddy, don't just get a new iPhone. They're so old school now. Get a Veer like mine, it is so cute and all the cool kids want one."

Dad - "But sweetie, I need a work phone, not a toy."

Daughter - "Daddy, don't be silly. This phone multi-tasks better than anything, it connects to all your silly work email systems, its got a quad band radio so you can call me when you go on your work trips to London (but you really should just take me with you, those British boys have such cute accents), the built-in GPS will keep you from getting lost (I know how you hate to ask for directions), the bluetooth radio will let you still use that dorky headset you love so much, the Qualcomm 800 Mhz processor gives it plenty of power even for you, and it runs on AT&T so it fits right in with our family plan. Or, you can wait a few months and get the Pre3 when it comes out if you think the Veer is not manly enough for you."

Dad - "Where do you learn all this stuff???"

Daughter - "Silly, that's all we talk about in our Sci-Tech class in school - what are the coolest phones and gadgets. Even our Sci-Tech teacher thinks the Veer is a good phone."

Dad - "That's really good advice. How can I ever thank you."

Daughter - "Well, HP has these really cool tablets out now. Please Daddy? Please, please please?"
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast