1.    #1  
    Hi all,

FYI.

Please use the supplied link to read the balance of this article.

take care,

Jay

HP Veer 4G Review - Getting Us Excited for Pre 3

by Brian Klug on 6/7/2011 5:01:00 PM

AnandTech - HP Veer 4G Review - Getting Us Excited for Pre 3

We touched on the Veer when it first hit our doorstep with a this just in post, and since then I’ve been using the device daily and trying to get an understanding for where it fits in both HP’s vision for WebOS and the greater scheme of things among all smartphones. The Veer’s launch is quite honestly a puzzling one. Usually launches are top down - launch the big flagship first, then reduced size and price ‘lite’ editions afterward that build off the flagship’s success and appeal to niches that aren’t served by the primary device either due to cost or size. For that reason, the Veer launch initially seemed a bit backwards, but factor in HP’s desire to get excitement for WebOS 2.0 started and ignite interest for the Pre 3, and things begin to make sense.
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Contents
    AnandTech - HP Veer 4G Review - Getting Us Excited for Pre 3 - Veer - HP Starting WebOS 2.0 out Small
    Veer - Physical Impressions
    An Incredibly Tiny Phone
    Keyboarding on the Veer - Surprisingly Decent
    The Veer's Display and Square Aspect Ratio
    Camera and Video Analysis
    WebOS 2.0 on the HP Veer
    WiFi on the Veer
    QPSK, 16QAM, 64QAM, and HSPA+
    HSPA+, HP Veer 4G, and Actual Throughput
    WebOS 2.0 Performance on Veer - Fluid
    Battery Life and Charge Testing
    Conclusions and Final Thoughts

The difference in raw, perceptible performance difference between the Veer and everything that came before it (save the Pre 2) is huge. Animations are completely fluid, typing fast no longer results in dramatic lag, and there’s no longer huge stalls in responsiveness. WebOS 2.0 also seems to have better memory management – I opened nearly 100 cards with AnandTech.com fully loaded and never once got an out of memory error. I did notice huge amounts of memory being swapped to disk (it’s very easy to monitor using top over novaterm on the Veer), but the device continued being fully responsive.
    Conclusions and Final Thoughts

I've come away with a bunch of different thoughts having used the Veer for this long, but the biggest of them is that although the device is definitely not for me, it has actually had the side-effect of getting me excited about the Palm Pre 3. There's nothing wrong with the Veer itself, I'd just prefer a larger display, bigger keyboard, and more importantly the flagship device where most of the developer attention will be focused. That's an important point too - the experience will always be best on whatever device the most developers have in their pocket, purely by virtue of them spending the most time with it.

The next thought is that WebOS feels incredibly smooth and fluid on the 800 MHz MSM7230 - it's a mind blowing difference in speed compared to the Pixi, and likewise with the Palm Pre Plus. In subjective terms the Veer feels dramatically smoother than any of the Android phones I've played with which also use the MSM7230. On Android the only real competitor in terms of this size is the LG Optimus One series of devices (which go under a variety of names stateside for each carrier), and although I'm a big fan of those devices, the compromise that's made is you get a decidedly slower phone based on a 600 MHz ARMv6 MSM7227. Then there's the matter of price. As of this writing, can get the Veer for $99 from AT&T directly, or $50 from Amazon Wireless on contract.

I was originally skeptical that WebOS could remain competitive with an entirely single core lineup in a world where dual and even quad core is becoming the norm, but honestly I've come away with renewed confidence.

If you're in the market for a tiny smartphone and are willing to use a nonstandard cable for USB and a small detachable dongle for your headphone jack, the Veer makes a lot of sense. The other big ones are the non user-replaceable battery and lack of external storage, but admittedly that's the same boat the Pixi was in. The Veer runs the full version of WebOS 2.0 on a modern SoC, and is a huge step forward in polish and performance from the Pixi. There's nothing lite about the experience, and WebOS 2.0 definitely feels like a step forwards from WebOS 1.0. Now, about that Pre 3...
    thanks, interesting review from someone who used the phone so long, I linked to it in this thread

http://forums.precentral.net/showthr...73#post2985073
    just look how beat up the pixi is that they used in those pictures!
    (thread merged)
    not sure why the OP didnt stick with the title.
    Wow, they were thorough. Thanks for the post.
    The value of knowledge is not in its possession, but in its use.
    Wow.
    Global Posts
    664 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    (thread merged)
    not sure why the OP didnt stick with the title.
    I didn't think the original title did the review justice.
    Interesting and thanks for the link since I missed it and don't get on Anandtech often anymore. Either way, I think he right...the Veer is not for most people especially those of us in the tech industry, but it sure does get you excited about the Pre3 and Touchpad running webOS 3.0 (a newer version as referenced in this weeks video and presentations at HP 2011 Expo).

I'm hoping for bigger and better things, Sorli...
  10.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by sorli View Post
    Interesting and thanks for the link since I missed it and don't get on Anandtech often anymore. Either way, I think he right...the Veer is not for most people especially those of us in the tech industry, but it sure does get you excited about the Pre3 and Touchpad running webOS 3.0 (a newer version as referenced in this weeks video and presentations at HP 2011 Expo).

I'm hoping for bigger and better things, Sorli...
    Hi,

I agree with you, however I think the Veer is supposed to be for the person who is starting out with a smartphone....I also must say there are times when a small phone is great....It's a pity that the FCC won't allow more than one phone per number....there are times, when you are going to see a Broadway show & out to dinner or a wedding or a business dinner & a large phone is a pain in the %$#@...if only I could have a Pre3 and a veer on my same number!

Take care,

Jay
    Please Support Research into Fibromyalgia, Chronic Pain and Spinal Injuries. If You Suffer from These, Consider Joining or Better Yet Forming a Support Group. No One Should Suffer from the Burden of Chronic Pain, Jay M. S. Founder, Leesburg Fibromyalgia/Resources Group
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Interesting to see that they also have a Pre3 on AT&T. Wonder how ready it is if they can get one like that.
    You could share a sim card between a Veer and Pre3. You could use the Pre3 during the day and then switch the sim over to the Veer when you want small instead.
    Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    JBG: That I know. My observation is that they had a Pre3. A review site had a Pre3. Could that be a review unit? I don't remember any other sites having a Pre3 on hand.
  14.    #15  
    Quote Originally Posted by jbg7474 View Post
    You could share a sim card between a Veer and Pre3. You could use the Pre3 during the day and then switch the sim over to the Veer when you want small instead.
    Hi,

Great idea if the phone goes on sale for only a penny on Amazon, i'll do just that.

Take care,

Jay
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    JBG: That I know. My observation is that they had a Pre3. A review site had a Pre3. Could that be a review unit? I don't remember any other sites having a Pre3 on hand.
    Good point, I didn't really notice that. Or perhaps they just took the picture at one of the events where they've had the Pre3 around. They way they talked about the Pre3 made it seem as if they hadn't really had much experience with it. Or maybe they've had some experience with an early prototype, but they're waiting for the final version.

It is a bit curious, though. Hmmmm.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by bnceo View Post
    he was at the HP Discover event.

Anandtech is a great site. His description of modulation schemes was spot on.