Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I unlocked my Veer today using the DigitalUnlock codes (which worked like a charm btw)... but noticed that I'm running on 3G.

Isn't this phone a 4G phone? What should I see when running in 4G? When I was using the Motorola Atrix, it showed a "H" for HSPA ...

Any clue on this one?
    ATT's use of '4G' is a misnomer - it is not 4G by generally accepted standards. HP does not call the phone '4G' in its literature, only in the ATT literature. HSPA+ is generally considered to be a 3G technology - by everybody except ATT.

Rogers is implementing LTE, I believe in testing and coming this year, but the Veer does not have an LTE radio.
  3.    #3  
    But it is HSPA+ which is much better than 3G. I expected the Veer to use HSPA+ and not 3G... hence the "H" symbol instead of "3G".

As anyone on AT&T been able to browse on their HSPA+ network?
    I was thinking about buying either a veer or a pre 2 and unlocking it to run on tmobile. However I wasnt sure how future web os updates will be handeled. Since phones on different networks get same updates at different times, how can an unlocked web os phone get such update? Is web os doctor the way to go in such case?
    MacBook PRO 13" 2011 i5
    TouchPad 16GB
    HP Veer on T-Mobile
    Global Posts
    48 Global Posts
    I am in Vietnam. I unlocked my Veer and using 3G only
  6.    #6  
    Humm. Starting to wonder if anyone ever used this phone on 4G (HSPA+)
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ayasinskiy View Post
    I was thinking about buying either a veer or a pre 2 and unlocking it to run on tmobile. However I wasnt sure how future web os updates will be handeled. Since phones on different networks get same updates at different times, how can an unlocked web os phone get such update? Is web os doctor the way to go in such case?
    I was planing on updating using the doctor.
    Simple... go to a speed test site and see what rates are you getting.

PS - Are you getting the Canadian catalogue?
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
    Simple... go to a speed test site and see what rates are you getting.

PS - Are you getting the Canadian catalogue?
    I'm getting around 3 to 5 mb download and 1 to 2 mb upload. These are 3G speeds at best.

And yes, I see the Canadian catalogue.
    Quote Originally Posted by benleroux View Post
    I'm getting around 3 to 5 mb download and 1 to 2 mb upload. These are 3G speeds at best.

And yes, I see the Canadian catalogue.
    Actually if you look at that, it's ball park.

Hands-on with Rogers' 21Mbps HSPA+ 3G | Electronista

I'll do some speed tests too when I get mine on Bell.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

11.    #11  
    Actually if you look at that, it's ball park.

Hands-on with Rogers' 21Mbps HSPA+ 3G | Electronista
    I know 21Mbps on HSPA+ is theoretical, but 5Mbps is not even close

Looking forward to hear how Bell is for you... Bell in Montreal is just awfull.
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
    I know 21Mbps on HSPA+ is theoretical, but 5Mbps is not even close

Looking forward to hear how Bell is for you... Bell in Montreal is just awfull.
    Veer is a 10.2 Mbps device.

Bell bad reception in QC, really? I can't say for the HSPA network, but my CDMA Pre Plus has excellent reception. Even GPS worked much better than in Toronto.

13.    #13  

Bell bad reception in QC, really? I can't say for the HSPA network, but my CDMA Pre Plus has excellent reception. Even GPS worked much better than in Toronto.
    The CDMA in QC was and still has excellent reception. It's their HSPA deployement which is to thin in my opinion... Well thats what you get for trusting Telus to build out that part of the network... I think Bell did TO
    Motorola Startac-> Motorola RAZR -> Motorola RAZR V3 -> Blackberry Curve -> Blackberry Bold -> Iphone 3G -> Iphone 3GS -> Palm Pre -> Blackerry Bold 2 -> Iphone 4 -> Palm Pre 2 -> HP Veer
  14.    #14  
    Well, you are correct, I missed that part of the specs... :

Technology:HSDPA Cat 10/HSUPA Cat 6; Quad-band
    Details: GSM/EDGE: 850/900/1800/1900 GSM/GPRS/EDGE
    Actually now that I have mine on Bell, I can't help but notice I'm only seeing the 3G icon only, never seen the H+.

Also another thing rather puzzling. Palm's website says the Veer supports Category 10 HSDPA, which is 14.4Mbps. But if you look at the user guide, it says it only supports 7.2??

HP Veer 4G Smartphone | HP Official(R) Site (Click Tech Specs, and see footnote 1)
    http://www.hpwebos.com/us/support/ha..._UG_ATT_en.pdf (go to page 253)

i run my veer in 2g only mode mostly due to battery time.

on my netbook i have a hsdpa/hsupa capable setup and the observed usual behaviour is that it would stay on plain 3g (umts) untill i fire a download or upload bigger than only one mail or the like. then it would switch into h mode and back after its done pushing or pulling that big junk of data.

probably the behaviour is even enforced by the tower and not by the device?

cannot test it on the veer right now as i run it on german eplus which i think doesnt provide anything on top of 3g let alone a stable covered 3g at all
    Bell doesn't have a GSM 2G network.

I do notice though, with the 3G icon on, I'm still getting speeds upwards above 2Mbps. If it's not HSDPA it won't reach that kind of speeds. UMTS is only 384kbps.

Which lead me to think what that icon really means.
    This is something I can test reasonably well. I'm in a HSPA+ Dual Carrier enabled area serviced by Telstra (Australia). I'll see how the Veer performs against a Sierra AirCard 312U (HSPA+ DC), Sierra AirCard USB 308 (HSPA+ 21 megabit) and a Pre 2.
    I unlocked my Veer today using the DigitalUnlock codes (which worked like a charm btw)...
    If I understand correctly, you were able to use the DigitalUnlock procedure without an AT&T sim card? It wasn't quite clear on the DigitalUnlock pages that I saw. I ended-up getting an Unlocked Veer from eBay, but I'm looking at getting another one and the locked ones are cheaper.
    Quote Originally Posted by hboisvert View Post
    If I understand correctly, you were able to use the DigitalUnlock procedure without an AT&T sim card? It wasn't quite clear on the DigitalUnlock pages that I saw. I ended-up getting an Unlocked Veer from eBay, but I'm looking at getting another one and the locked ones are cheaper.
    You don't need an AT&T SIM. I used my dead Fido card then put my Bell card.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast