Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    So I went into my local Best Buy wishing to check out the Veer. The summarized conversation is as follows:

Employee: "Hey, did you need help with anything?"
    Me: "Actually yes, do you guys have that new Veer phone by HP?"
    Employee: "Yes we do, it is on display right over there"

[Employee walks me to display, tucked away from all other phones, almost in another department]

Employee: "Were you looking to buy?"
    Me: "Well, no, i mean, i don't know, my contract is up soon so I'm just looking around"
    Employee: "Oh well I wouldn't recommend it."
    Me: "No? Why is that?"
    Employee: "Well it's just like the.. have you ever used a Palm Pre"?
    Me: [whips out Pre Plus somewhat defensively] "Yup, I have one right here and its one of the best phones I've ever had"
    Employee: "Oh, uhm, uh, well, uhm, oh.. hey that's cool"
    Me: [dumbing things down a bit] "yeah, i really love the operating system. they're supposed to be coming out with better hardware soon. [looks down at Veer] wow that thing is small!"
    Employee: "Yeah, it's too small"
    Me: "Yeah it is, but its really a great platform, they just need better hardware than this"

[Employee and I shoot the breeze for a bit about phones]

The kid was REALLY taken aback when he advised against the Veer and I took out my Pre and said it was the best phone I ever had. The whole rest of the conversation he looked really nervous and embarrassed and was twiddling with the signage.

Moral: The above summarzied conversation further corroborates the fact that this phone is a joke to most people, at least Best Buy employees and some AT&T employees. Many of them see it as a toy and nothing more than a novelty that you might give to a child (employee said it reminded him of a Tamagotchi). Personally I didn't think it was that bad if not a bit small, but I will readily admit that having scaled webOS *down* does not do it any justice.

HP, if you are reading this, I can appreciate your contrarian approach to smartphones, but there are employees in your distribution channels actively advising AGAINST the Veer. My experience was not an isolated incident. You absolutely need to release some seriously cool hardware (read: bigger and better.. sexy not cute) so people will look at it and be impressed. Forget schooling people about the Veer. It is already turning into a failure unfortunately. You need to get on that Pre 3 as well as that rumored slab phone immediately.
    Last edited by jetsetter883; 06/07/2011 at 12:57 AM.
    However unacceptable and unprofessional such behavior is it does reflect general trends in mobile industry. You are right, HP should stop swimming against current, and release damn 4" slab.
    And most of those employees are kids or people who have no idea about phones, they just work and try to sell garbage they are told to sell.
    Sprint Love
    When you said he mentioned a Tamigotchi, I envisioned this guy in a Best Buy uniform, trying to sell you a phone.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    To the OP:

These things will happen, get used to it - in fact, if the Veer was selling like hotcakes, see the beginning of this sentence again, for the rule that won't change: "These things will happen, get used to it."

It's no HP's fault - they are releasing a relatively new formfactor into a world that hasn't recognized the existence of a market for one, but, believe me, there IS a market for it.

I remember when HTC's HD2 first came out early last year.. people were commenting all over the internet "4.3's??" That's way too big a phone for me.. yadda, yadda, yadda.

And, to this day, some still say it, in the face of the undoubtedly HUGE success for 4"+ screen slab formfactors.

For the record, I went to a T-Mobile store here in NY last March when it debuted and spoke to the T-Mobile rep, who said, quite candidly, "Yep, its huge, and not for everyone, but, we think that certainly some will want it."

And the rest, as they say, is history...

Take a step back and look at the big picture... WebOS devices are coming, in all sizes and shapes and formfactors, probably more than soon enough, and the Veer is the first one out of the box.
    "The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Meanwhile iOS users are happy using the screen size Apple recommends.. -.-
    Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by fxspec06 View Post
    Meanwhile iOS users are happy using the screen size Apple recommends.. -.-
    Not all.

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    610 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jetsetter883 View Post
    So I went into my local Best Buy wishing to check out the Veer.
    Give us the store and location. And also please include your experience in the Veer Retail Store experience thread.

Rob
    Does HP can take some serious action against AT&T and BestBuy?
    when i go into a shop i expect the staff to have an optinion so he can teach me something. with the palm/hp phones and precentral members its the special case where it would be vice versa very often.

but basically i would expect to talk to a real human as salesman and not only to a robotic follower of his company's contract opinions.

so... still its bad that some people have the opinion not only the veer is a question of taste but also its the wrong taste and even worse when salesmen are polarized and subjective enough to do damage to webos.

apart from the things where personal optinions do and must play a role i guess hp just had bad contracts or they had a plan but that didnt work out.

i like webos, i like the veer, and i do so for personal reasons that dont need to be explained and that may be reduced to taste too if you want a bone to bite on. still that reasons are not so ill and crazy all the feature bashers here would like to see it.

why sould i like webos less only because another brand released feature/version xyz? heck i mean even if tomorrow ios7 would be released, why should i buy it, when i am satisfied and happy with webos??

the only thing hp should do is release bugfixes for webos 2.x because right now i dont understand why i should leave 1.4.5 reading the bug threads of 2.x. when its finally better than 1.4.5 i will buy it, because webos is my taste anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by chalx View Post
    However unacceptable and unprofessional such behavior is it does reflect general trends in mobile industry. You are right, HP should stop swimming against current, and release damn 4" slab.
    You may be correct...but, DAMN!! I do NOT want a SLAB.

I fear that my future will include one (if the Pre3 "fails" and HP goes to only slabs)

I really dislike the VKB. My primary phone is a BB because it is reliable, has battery power all day, and HAS A REAL KB!!!

I am hoping that the Pre3 can take its place as my primary (only?) phone.
    I had a similar experience at At&t. Employee saw me looking and loving this phone. She walks over and says "Its way too small. " I said maybe for you but there a lot of people in this world. She laughed. I just wish it was on sprint so I could buy it!
    *Patchers STILL make this phone Perfect!
    Palm Devices Currently Owned: Pre, Pre Plus, Pre 2, Pre 3, Pixi, Veer, Touchpads, and too many touchstones!
    If HP had marketed the Pre 2, I bet the Veer would look much better to people. This guy associates it with the Pre. He, and probably many other salespeople, didn't have good Pre experiences. If they had tried marketing the Pre 2, a much better phone, then (sales)people wouldn't dismiss the Veer so quickly.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tooearly View Post
    And most of those employees are kids or people who have no idea about phones, they just work and try to sell garbage they are told to sell.
    Not only TOLD to sell, but PAID to sell. For example, if one of these kids gets a $10 bonus for selling the "it" phone of the week, he just more than doubled his salary for that hour. Of course he's going to push you in that direction because he doesn't care whether the phone/OS is garbage or not; he cares that he is now making $18 per hour, not eight! This is one way HP can get their phones out and make the employees take notice, but it's not likely.
    tim
    Global Posts
    713 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by gnark View Post
    ...the only thing hp should do is release bugfixes for webos 2.x because right now i dont understand why i should leave 1.4.5 reading the bug threads of 2.x. when its finally better than 1.4.5 i will buy it, because webos is my taste anyway.
    Yup! Me, too.
    tim
    I had quite the issue with bestbuy and at&t. Bestbuy's dealer code appearantly changed, it's interesting.
    Either way both employees thought it made perfect sense w/ a tablet.
    Amazingly though both are excited about the pre3 and touchpad.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Palm prē-ist.
    Global Posts
    35 Global Posts
    That's a sucky experience and sorry for that but I do want to say that we don't get paid any extra to sell a certain phone and we don't work on commission at Best Buy. I work in a Best Buy mobile store and actually use a veer as my main phone right now (unlocked on T-Mobile). I have yet to have a customer come in and ask about the veer sadly but I have shown it to many people looking at upgrades but I always get the same reply "That's small actually too small, how can you type on that thing" I always reply by showing them how easy it is to type on it and showing them the cards and they always think it's neat but don't wanna risk trying it. This is my first webOS device and I have used every smartphone platform before except Symbian. I mainly use Android but I don't push anything specific to the customer, if someone came in wanting the Veer than I'll whip mine out and let them try it.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    I ordered a Veer, because with one hand on the wheel, I can text with the other, and still give other drivers the finger.
    That's not safe- you should use two hands on the Veer while driving, so you don't drop it and lose it between the seats...
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyK View Post
    That's not safe- you should use two hands on the Veer while driving, so you don't drop it and lose it between the seats...
    I was half expecting you to say: "That's not safe, you should use two hands to give people the finger, its doubly effective".
    Global Posts
    293 Global Posts
    The correct way to approach this would have been:
    Sales person: "Can I help you find anything today?"
    Customer: "Yes, do you have the HP Veer?"
    Sales person: "Yes, we do. It's right over here." walks to end cap
    Sales person: "Are you looking to get a new phone soon?"
    Customer: "No. Well sort of. My contract will be up soon and I'm looking."
    Sales person: "What phone do you have now?"
    Customer shows Palm Pre Plus
    Sales person: "A Pre Plus! Great! What do you really like about your phone?"
    Customer gives list of likes
    Sales person: "That's good. So what would you like it to do better?"
    Customer gives list of wants
    Sales person: "Great! After you take a look at the Veer you might want to look at [insert another phone here], because it has a lot of the features you want."

The sales person shouldn't be there to op ed. They should be there to make the customer feel good about making a new purchase. Part of that is making the customer feel good about their current purchase as well as informing their decision for their next purchase.

The sales person should never openly criticize something their store is selling. Criticizing a product in the same brand/line someone already owns can be seen as an insult to the consumer's decision making ability. Plus it reduces consumer confidence in the store as much as in the product they're selling (i.e. "If it's crap, why do they sell it. What else aren't they telling me? Or does this guy have an ulterior motive? Upsell? Commission?")
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast