Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    just got my new Veer out of the box and charged up... NOW WHAT?
    i want to install Doctor and Preware (right?), but i think i've missed a step somewhere
    was i supposed to connect it to my computer with some other software first?
    i can't figure out if my computer is even talking to the phone at all
    what should the screen look like when i connect it?
    "webos quick install" never seened to recognize that the phone was connected (the "next" button never lit up)
    so then i tried installing the official HP/Palm SDK from developer.palm.com and use the palm-install tool to install Preware (per this thread), but i can't figure out where the "palm-install" is now
    so someone please take pity on me and HELP! :-(
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    When you plug it in to the computer an alert on the veer should pop up saying usb mode and just charge, you should tap just charge, if that's not happening you need to try and reinstalling the novacom driver or try plugging it in to different usb ports, ALSO DON'T RUN WEBOS DOCTOR, that will completely reset the phone and erase everything
    Global Posts
    514 Global Posts
    Once you get it to recognize the veer you want to use webos quick install to install preware
    is your phone in developer mode?
    This^

"The more I learn, the more I realize just how little I really do know!" -Albert Einstein

Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    how do i "use webos quick install"??

"is your phone in developer mode?" i don't think so, how would i know?

"DON'T RUN WEBOS DOCTOR" but don't i need to install it now in order to be able to reset it later? maybe i misunderstood what this program does?
    I really think you should start reading.
    Start here: http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...es-themes.html
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    thanks, somline! i don't think i had seen that particular thread yet and the instructions it links to seem much clearer :-)
    Quote Originally Posted by gamoses View Post
    thanks, somline! i don't think i had seen that particular thread yet and the instructions it links to seem much clearer :-)
    Sorry you have been frustrated...many of us here had the opportunity to look forward to the day when we could get a webOS phone...we got to hear about Quick Install, and Preware, and Homebrew long before we had the phone in our hands. So, we had a headstart on knowing what to do and where to go to learn.

I think soon you will be writing back telling us how cool Preware is and how enhanced your phone is becoming. Good luck!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by LCGuy View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mhunterjr View Post
    is your phone in developer mode?
    This^

This times 1,000 ^^^^

Neo Enyo 2.0 Twitter App: NOW AVAILABLE | WON REVIEW
    clearview - clear card app for HP TOUCHPAD
    Wild'n Video Poker - AVAILABLE FOR ALL WEBOS DEVICES! | follow for latest updates - @fxspec06

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    Sorry you have been frustrated...many of us here had the opportunity to look forward to the day when we could get a webOS phone...we got to hear about Quick Install, and Preware, and Homebrew long before we had the phone in our hands. So, we had a headstart on knowing what to do and where to go to learn.

I think soon you will be writing back telling us how cool Preware is and how enhanced your phone is becoming. Good luck!
    I had never heard about PreWare or WebOSQI.... we bought our Pre's and then found out I couldn't forward a text. That's all it took, was themeing and what not the next night after work.... Ahhh that seams like forever ago now, gotta love the WebOS homebrew community!
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    I was on Verizon...so I followed the original Pre on this forum from Late Winter of 2009 until I got my Pre in January 2010. I chose to hold off on Homebrew for the first few months...but once I dove in, I loved it!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    I was on Verizon...so I followed the original Pre on this forum from Late Winter of 2009 until I got my Pre in January 2010. I chose to hold off on Homebrew for the first few months...but once I dove in, I loved it!
    Yeah we got ours in October of 09, I was worried about homebrew until I found that the phones could be restored to complete factory condition with authorized software from the manufacturer... then it was "all in", this is also one of the strongest points of WebOS in my mind.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
    Global Posts
    155 Global Posts
    FINALLY!!!
    thanks to the WebOS Quick Install that JUST came out, I finally have Preware installed!

i'm upgrading from a Centro (another "finally"!!!) and am really out of my comfort zone
    i'm still a bit confused about what things involve connecting to the computer and what doesn't, but i think i'll get there :-)

THANK YOU to everyone who answer this thread or even read it! having an active community that welcomes newbies is a BIG selling point :-)
    FINALLY!!!
    thanks to the WebOS Quick Install that JUST came out, I finally have Preware installed!

i'm upgrading from a Centro (another "finally"!!!) and am really out of my comfort zone
    i'm still a bit confused about what things involve connecting to the computer and what doesn't, but i think i'll get there :-)

THANK YOU to everyone who answer this thread or even read it! having an active community that welcomes newbies is a BIG selling point :-)
    i'm glad you got it figured out. from my experience, once you have Preware installed, its pretty much smooth sailing. There's a good chance you wont have to connect to the PC anymore. But i'd still keep reading up on things. Understanding where we've come from will make it easier to understand where we are currently.
    Glad your getting your device set up the way you want gamoses! Welcome to the Pre|Central forums, by the way!

I would also suggest reading this thread also. Our forum member, Sketch42, took the time to put together a great set of items for all new users to help them get the most out of webOS.

http://forums.precentral.net/palm-pr...e-welcome.html

Enjoy your Veer, and you new addiction!
    FINALLY!!!

You only have to connect your Veer to the computer to use WebOS Quick Install or the WebOS Doctor. If you have Preware installed, and you do now, then anything that you can do with WebOS Quick Install can be done through it.
    Here is a list of all the words we PreCentral nerdz use to describe things. If you understand these it will be a brease reading anything.

Dictionary:
    WebOS Quick Install- An on PC (or Mac) Program that can install apps, themes, and patches onto your Veer through the connected USB cable.
    Preware- An on device (on the Veer) app that can install other apps in the homebrew community, themes, and patches. It is basicly WebOS Quick Install on your Veer.
    WebOS Doctor- a program that you can run on your PC (or Mac) that will completely reset your Veer to factory settings no mater what its state (unless your Rod). The purpose for this is if you mess something up with he phone you can plug it in and completely reset the phone.
    Patches- additions you can add to your Veer's Operating System. Patches can add things to any part of the phone such as the status bar, device menu, app launcher, other apps. Also it can add things to features like notifications and the gesture area.
    Homebrew- apps that are made by our great PreCentral members that usually haven't gotten in to the official App Catalogue quite yet for some reason or another.
    WebOS Internals- they are a group of really awesome people who make patches, apps, and tutorials on how to do certain thing with your device. They are responsible for most of the great things you do with your device through Preware and WebOS Quick Install.
    Last edited by Rennat; 06/04/2011 at 08:51 PM.
    "Life is Hard... it's harder if your stupid"
    - John Wayne
    FYI: Preware does not contain a capital w.

-- Rod