1.    #1  
    Anyone know any dialer codes, or hash codes? FOR HP VEER!!!!

My College campus has **** 3G coverage.

please help.
    Last edited by EmeraldReporter; 06/01/2011 at 01:57 PM.
    Your Information is quite sparse.
    Which Phone, which webOS?

In webOS 1.4.5 it is in Preferences of the Dialer/Phone Application.
    I',m on a German Phone so I'm not shure about the exact wording.
    -open Phone dialer
    -open menu by swiping top left
    -tap preferences
    - on this scene under network there is a setup for Type with the possibility to choose Automatic/just 2G/just 3G.

Thats it

Regards Ralf
    On the Veer, the phone app preferences don't provide much beyond simply Data on or Data off. There are a bunch of hash codes available for webOS, but many of them, including #*DATA#, don't work on GSM. So in my brief searching, I didn't see how to do it.

But you might do searches for the Pre2, and see if anyone has discovered how to switch to Edge only.

I am in a relatively weak signal in my office all day, and I find the transition between H+ and Edge to be pretty seamless. But Edge is so painfully slow. I have never seen Edge be faster than H+. If H+ is encountering too many errors, it will automatically flip down to Edge. So I'm not sure you really want to do what you say you want to do.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  4.    #4  
    Well along with better battery efficiency, I wont be dropping calls, I won't be losing text messages.
    Reviving this question - thanks to the firesale, there are lot more HP Veer owners in US who might want to use T-mobile pre-paid SIMs.
    Typically they have 2G available (daily flat rate - expensive probably but availabl- when you decide to use it!). So ideally would be to have the ability to
    - completely turn off 3/4G
    - manually turn on 2G - when we decide to use it!
    - still be able to use data type services with WiFi !

Will appreciate any clues!
    Can't you do this in the device info app somewhere?
    Quote Originally Posted by FenrirWolf View Post
    Can't you do this in the device info app somewhere?
    Probably not. Confession: "Probably" because I should really confirm once I unlock my phone and actually try it out on Tmobile - still awaiting Paypal transfer time to get unlock codes. But so far the options on dialer seem to be the ones described above - just "data off" and "data on" - not more granular!. Device info also does not seem to have any such thing (yet!) - but I should confirm after unlocking and using it!
    Ah, okay. I know there are preware patches to add a 3G toggle to the main drop-down menu so maybe one of those might be worth installing.
    There's another preware patch available (GSM 3G GPS and Brightness in Device Menu), which was suggested by member ap3604: http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...ml#post3161613.

I've been using this patch ever since the suggestion and it's actually improved my battery life since HSPA+ coverage where I live and work is extremely poor. As a bonus, I was able to remove my GPS in Device Menu patch since the above patch includes it.

However, restarting the phone causes the option to kick back into auto mode. I just select 2G from the menu anytime I restart.
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    You guys are looking for this patch:

http://forums.precentral.net/hp-veer...r-not-att.html

The 2G/3G toggle (under Phone app, Preference & Accounts) is not available on AT&T firmware (never has been), and is available on WR (word-ready) firmware.

Three options:
    - Meta-Doctor WR firmware and doctor your AT&T Veer
    - Install the above patch. Will not survive a reboot if I'm not mistaken.
    - Keep your Veer in a constant semi-grip of death so it will never make a 3G connection.
    3G connection is probably not a risk for T-mobile pre-paid - as it is (probably!) is not enabled on it - but I am afraid of it using 2G connection to sync up with something - and incurring a daily data usage charge! Thanks for the pointer to the patch.

I searched - but did not get a clear pointer to what "WR (Word-ready) firmware" is - but will look more later when I am not at work and have more time - and if not ask more questions ! And I will have to look more into that semi-grip of death option :-)
    I use Quick System Tasks, available in Preware. You can force the phone to EDGE when you want to.
    Quote Originally Posted by emkaywebos View Post
    Probably not. Confession: "Probably" because I should really confirm once I unlock my phone and actually try it out on Tmobile - still awaiting Paypal transfer time to get unlock codes. But so far the options on dialer seem to be the ones described above - just "data off" and "data on" - not more granular!. Device info also does not seem to have any such thing (yet!) - but I should confirm after unlocking and using it!
    Took a while for me to switch to Veer. Just providing feedback I promised.

For my purposes - the Data Usage ON/OFF toggle works fine (from Phone preferences). The cheap prepaid don't use 3G/4G and the "Data Usage OFF" indeed does turn off GPRS access - so I dont' get accidentally charged for the "daily flat rate" for data use. If I ever need to use Data (I am rarely away from Wifi), I can turn the "Data ON" in the phone preferences and use it and pay the daily flat rate - no accidental data charges was the goal!