Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Results 61 to 80 of 80
  1. #61  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    C-Note, that's my point. HP's questioning/defensive stance ("Why Do I Carry A Small Phone" says Manny) screams "weakness" to me. They should assume they're talking to people who might like that form factor, and go from there.
    Not a bad point. But by using someone with Manny's reputation, it (in my mind) made it much more humorous than defensive. For this type of campaign, he's one of a few people who could have pulled it off. (Anyone remember the Rosey Grier and needlepoint commercials from way back?)
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  2. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #62  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    C-Note, that's my point. HP's questioning/defensive stance ("Why Do I Carry A Small Phone" says Manny) screams "weakness" to me. They should assume they're talking to people who might like that form factor, and go from there.
    It's something they need to talk about because they're the only product in that catagory.
  3. #63  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    C-Note, that's my point. HP's questioning/defensive stance ("Why Do I Carry A Small Phone" says Manny) screams "weakness" to me. They should assume they're talking to people who might like that form factor, and go from there.
    Every phone tries to have a differentiating characteristic to it. The Veer is all about being small. That's the point. It is what separates it from virtually every other phone out there. Why would you NOT put that up front and center. They aren't defending it. They're showing it off.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

    Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
  4. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #64  
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I don't think asking people watching your commercial "Why would this celebrity carry a small phone" is showing off how small it is. If you're assuming that the people watching that commercial are asking that, you are marketing to the WRONG PEOPLE. You should be marketing to the people asking "Man, is anybody going to make a reasonable sized phone for ME these days?"
    Also, most people think that small phones are for girls or tweeners. Having a world champion boxer say why he carrys the phone is also trying to sell it to men as well as girls.
  5. Ulairi's Avatar
    Posts
    276 Posts
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    #65  
    Quote Originally Posted by cmil1212 View Post
    That may be the best part of the commercial. Good point.

    Still, I wouldn't be showing too many variations of the "its small" theme since this does the trick. Hopefully HP jumps to what makes "with webOS" so special.
    I think as the TouchPad and Pre 3 release the campaign will be more about webOS and less about each device (save the TouchPad), which is good. If HP can get to the continous client before anyone else that will be a huge boon for them.

    EDIT: And there better be a commercial showing that I can dock my Pre 3 and take calls and stuff right from the TouchPad. That is going to be an awesome feature to promote.
    Last edited by Ulairi; 06/01/2011 at 02:56 PM. Reason: adding more
  6. #66  
    Quote Originally Posted by Rockbeast View Post
    "Little Guys Can Pakapunch!"
    I see what you did there.


    And I can dig the commercial. Can't wait to see more of em.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  7. #67  
    Quote Originally Posted by morrison0880 View Post
    Every phone tries to have a differentiating characteristic to it. The Veer is all about being small. That's the point. It is what separates it from virtually every other phone out there. Why would you NOT put that up front and center. They aren't defending it. They're showing it off.
    Also, small doesn't really translate in a TV commercial. Not to mention the "small but powerful", some folks might assume to get the phone small you sacrificed power or ability of the hardware.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  8. ahitz's Avatar
    Posts
    412 Posts
    Global Posts
    418 Global Posts
    #68  
    Quote Originally Posted by Ulairi View Post
    EDIT: And there better be a commercial showing that I can dock my Pre 3 and take calls and stuff right from the TouchPad. That is going to be an awesome feature to promote.
    I'm pretty sure there will be. Based on what I gathered about the training they gave to some Best Buy employees, this and "the cloud" were the big selling points - moreso than "true multitasking", "synergy", gestures, or cards.
  9. #69  
    It's good but the example with gps tracking, calorie intake, and workout routine is consolidated in iphone and android apps. (for example the one I use: https://market.android.com/details?i...ature=top-paid does all that and more)

    Selling my Palm things: just make an offer: http://forums.webosnation.com/market...nd-offers.html
  10. #70  
    Quote Originally Posted by IcerC View Post
    It's good but the example with gps tracking, calorie intake, and workout routine is consolidated in iphone and android apps. (for example the one I use: https://market.android.com/details?i...ature=top-paid does all that and more)
    I don't think that is the point. If you listen to detractors, it would seem that there aren't ANY apps for the webOS platform. This shows that there are apps people would be interested in. I'm sure that if HP starts gaining traction, the others will counter with commercials about app counts or "can you do this" types of ads. But that is a dangerous game for Android to play, because Apple can use it on them.

    Once the market matures past raw application counts and quad core processing power, the debate will shift to the overall user experience. HP will fighting on much better ground there.
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
  11. #71  
    Quote Originally Posted by OldSkoolVWLover View Post
    I see what you did there.


    And I can dig the commercial. Can't wait to see more of em.
    Thanks, but maybe "Pacqapunch" would have been better...

    Hey, this guy has some wild nicknames! This is from Wikipedia:

    Pac-Man,
    Fighting Pride of the Philippines,
    The Destroyer,
    The Mexicutioner,
    The People's Champ,
    Pambansang Kamao (National Fist),
    The Fighting Congressman

    My favorite is Pambansang Kamao...which is Tagalog for National Fist! Maybe Manny's work in politics will even overshadow his boxing! I'm keeping an eye on him.
    Last edited by Rockbeast; 06/02/2011 at 07:40 AM. Reason: Corrected my Tagalog spelling error!
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

    I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

  12. #72  
    Not sure if mentioned already (long thread), but this commercial got me to do something I've never tried in exactly two years of webOS ownership. Tonight, I turned on Advanced Gestures.

    I've been missing a cool little piece of webOS! Thanks, Manny!
    webOS user since 20090606.
  13. #73  
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Not sure if mentioned already (long thread), but this commercial got me to do something I've never tried in exactly two years of webOS ownership. Tonight, I turned on Advanced Gestures.

    I've been missing a cool little piece of webOS! Thanks, Manny!
    Bugs the hell out of me any time I pick up my wifes phone, she doesn't have advanced turned on... so I am sitting there like an ***** trying to swipe to the next card....
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  14. #74  
    I just saw the commercial during the NBA Finals!!! First time I've seen it on tv. I guess I don't watch the other shows they aired it on.

    GO MAVS!!!
  15. #75  
    Quote Originally Posted by TheX-Man View Post
    I just saw the commercial during the NBA Finals!!! First time I've seen it on tv. I guess I don't watch the other shows they aired it on.

    GO MAVS!!!
    First time I've seen it on TV too, and since viewership is likely to be MUCH higher on the NBA finals than anything else it's been on, this is the first time LOTS of people have seen it.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
  16. #76  
    saw it too on TV during the nba finals!

    I hope they follow up this commercial with a good one soon.
  17. #77  
    Saw it too, looked good in HD on one of the world's biggest stages.
  18. #78  
    I'll 2nd the looked good in HD, glad to see it hitting network TV with a big audience and not just cable. Especially with it being summer time, network TV doesn't have a lot of large draw TV events, especially a sporting event to catch some folks that know who Manny is.
    I love physical keyboards... but there is two devices that would make me consider a slab, one is something running a full version of Open webOS. The other is an iPhone!!!! HA HA just kidding (about the iPhone that is)...
  19. #79  
    I was just approached by someone and they said: "Hey that's the Manny Pacquiao Phone!"

    And no, those people are not filipinos!
    My flickr Pictures taken by the Pre (pre plus and pre3)
  20. Bighouse's Avatar
    Posts
    29 Posts
    Global Posts
    36 Global Posts
    #80  
    Quote Originally Posted by johnj2803 View Post
    I was just approached by someone and they said: "Hey that's the Manny Pacquiao Phone!"

    And no, those people are not filipinos!
    My roommate said the exact same thing. He is also not Filipino, nor a boxer.
    Nokia 5160 > Nokia 8390 > Nokia 6800 > Nokia E62 > HP Veer 4G
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Posting Permissions