Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Look at the comments on Youtube...people who seem to be unaware of the Veer coming out, other than perhaps seeeing at their AT&T store, they want the phone.

The ad is effective for what it was intended. Manny IS appropriate for the add. People love Manny, and if Manny likes the phone...The commercial DOESN'T fully focus on him, but his presence SELLS the tagline...

"Little Guys Can Pakapunch!"
    Sent from my slowly diminishing intellect

I'm just a soul who's intentions are good...oh Lord, please don't let me be misunderstood!

Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I just know when I see commercials for iPhone, I see what makes iOS unique in each and every one, even though it takes several to convey that too. Here, I see very little of what makes WebOS unique. Cards have never been that big a deal to regular buyers, I don't think.
    What makes the iPhone unuqie from their commercials? It's all focused on apps in the latest round. What they do is they release a group of commericals all focusing on one small thing. Which is EXACTLY what this ad does. But, the difference is that people here are looking for reasons to complain about HP and not to complain about Apple. HP cannot release an ad with everything you want them to show in one commerical, that would be moronic. But, they need to show all of those things in their group of marketing.
    I'm in the middle. It was pretty good, not awesome.

Why not have him plop that thing down on a touchstone at the end?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    I never said I wanted them to show everything in one commercial. I did say I wanted them to show WebOS and maybe some unique apps or accessories in one commercial. None of that here.

Take what the dude said above about the comments....there are 64 comments on the YouTube video. Damn near all of them are about Manny Pacquaio and Floyd Mayweather! people are not taking some burning excitement for this new phone or OS away from this ad. It's a throwaway.
    That's not what ads really do. They build a brand so when they go to buy their next phone, the brand is in their minds.

This ad showed unique features.
    Global Posts
    361 Global Posts
    The cards and gestures is a big deal, whenever I show those to people they're impressed and want to know more.

Relax, if HP keeps this up everything will be fine.
    man, this thread is pretty funny to read. so many experts on what HP should do. Who knew there were so many marketing and branding experts on this site. Bottom line - no ad will please everyone so get over it.

People complain there is no advertising, then the first commercial shows up and folks go negative. So easy to complain - the American way isn't it. Heck, it has become the way of the world. We want want want - but it's never good enough. It's a sad kind of funny.
    Super ad;almost makes you forget how bad Pre ads have been.
    they should run some funny cmercials. Funny comercials seem to catch on like crazy. Drop the boxer get the old spice guy.
    or keep the boxer cause some people like boxing but still get the oldspice guy
    I disagree. If you take all of a commercial to defend a perceived weakness, you're wasting airtime.
    Do you mean the small size of the Veer? That's not a perceived weakness. The Veer does not happen to be small. It was designed intentionally to be small. It's a feature.
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Quote Originally Posted by cmil1212 View Post
    But an obvious feature that really doesn't need highlighted anymore than seeing it. To keep mentioning this starts to sound like HP is trying to justify it.
    Well, since it can barely be seen at the stores...
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    Maybe they're campaign should be: "Well....if you don't have a HP Veer.......then you don't have an HP Veer". I'm sure some of you would fall head over heels on that one
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Apple is all about building upon layers and leveraging upon their past success. They've done the leg work already with previous commercials. HP is starting from scratch with an unknown OS.

If HP wants to make up ground, then they've got to be more aggressive but still get the basics in on what webOS is all about. They don't have time to make commercials showing the wonders of multitouch. Apple has done all this. They've built up in people's mind just what a smartphone should be and can be more focused.

This, to me, seemed like a commercial just for the Veer and trying to focus on the smallness gimmick. It should always be about webOS.
    People don't buy an OS. They buy a phone. Smallness isn't a gimmick, it's a feature.
    HP needs to focus on webOS, not gimmicks. Start taking swings at Apple. Like Apple or not, it's what most associate as a smartphone these days.
    That may have been true two years ago, but not anymore. Android has changed the way people view smartphones. It's no longer the iphone and a bunch of others. It's iphone and the Evo, and the Droid, and the Galaxy, etc. Taking swings at Apple is not what HP needs to do. Market the product and the OS. Like crazy. Show the ecosystem between the phones, the pad, and the cloud-based services. The product will survive or fail on its own merits. Starting some kind of war with Apple or Google or Blackberry will serve absolutely no purpose.
    I don't understand the purpose of the line, I don't need to drink to have fun. Great, no one does. But why start a fire with flint and sticks when they've invented the lighter?

Let's all give thanks to the app that started it all.
    http://forums.precentral.net/homebre...ebrew-app.html
    Global Posts
    39 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwood212 View Post
    or keep the boxer cause some people like boxing but still get the oldspice guy
    Just wait till the Russell Brand commercial hits that should be funny. I think with the mix of celebs they can hit a bunch of different perspectives.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    "Small, BUT powerful"

'Why did I get a small phone?"

Way too much effort spent justifying a design decision. How many times did Apple address the lack of a keyboard in their iPhone commercials? If you gotta explain it, it shouldn't be there in the first place.
    I worked at Apple during the first year of the iPhone and not having a physical keyboard was a major question for the consumer.

The "small bout powerful" thing is needed because for some reason people think large is powerful.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by niegowsj View Post
    Just wait till the Russell Brand commercial hits that should be funny. I think with the mix of celebs they can hit a bunch of different perspectives.
    I can see the next commercials coming now. I bet you Russell Brand will be featuring Just Type on his commercial spot since he is well known to google himself.
    Why would you market the Veer to people who think "large is powerful"? Forget them. Address them with the Pre 3 commercial. That's why i don't like this ad.
    That's not an entirely bad point. Instead of saying "small can be powerful too," they might say, "who needs a giant slab in their pocket?" But, of course, they don't want to put down their own impending giant slab.

Marketing is pretty hard work. I'm tired just thinking about it for five minutes.
    I disagree. If you take all of a commercial to defend a perceived weakness, you're wasting airtime.

Notice that Apple never acknowledged cut and paste or multitasking or any of the weaknesses that they eventually corrected. They showed you what was great about that platform in detail.

If I knew nothing about smartphones and I watched this commercial, I still would know nothing that would make me pick this over any other phone. Is a calendar or fitness app some sort of exclusive?
    How exactly is a small phone a weakness? If you don't want a big slab in your pocket, it's a plus. I carry three phones and my big droid phone is sometimes left home because I don't want a big "shirt-pocket-tearing" phone with me, particularly if I'm dressed up in a suit for a meeting.

A commercial will never make everybody want the same thing. That is why there are demographic studies done to target specific audiences.

If you knew nothing about smartphones and were looking for a small SMARTPHONE and not a feature phone, you might look at it. What other phone would you look at, the Kin????

Finally, a smart advertiser advertises their strengths:

1) When Apple was the only game in town they, sold the coolness of the iPhone with the hipster music commercials. You might remember most of the early commercials focused on music. (When you have the #1 internet music service in iTunes, that is a strength)

2) When Android started their push, the did say "we don't have many apps, but we are cool", they advertised their powerful hardware.

3) Suddenly Apple started to advertise their apps ("There's an app for that") once Android started nipping at their heels. Coincidence?

4) Now that Android's app count has improved, they are now including mention of apps in their advertising. But notice, not a count of apps (since Apple still smokes them on that count), but versatility Another random coincidence?

So why should HP not also parade their strengths and minimize their weaknesses? I know it hard to believe but lots of us can live quite nicely without Shazam and Netflix. So if they can show that a basic level apps are there for a particular class of customer, should they steer those clients away from their phones?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    But an obvious feature that really doesn't need highlighted anymore than seeing it. To keep mentioning this starts to sound like HP is trying to justify it.
    Since it's one of the main differentiators, they do need to talk about it, at least initially. I don't think it was the primary focus of the commercial, but a clear point.
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast