Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Global Posts
    893 Global Posts
    It's pretty good. Although a bit fast-paced for someone to get webOS in one viewing.
    I like it. Bring us more.
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Still banking on its method of task switching; I'd be advertising the OS' capabilities, applications, etc. That's what buys mindshare today.
    Which commercial did you watch? Because the one I saw was very well paced. It showed the task switching capabilities, which you mentioned. But it also showed an app that tracks his running paths; an app that shows you how to do 2,000 situps when he said that he does 2,000 situps; and finally an app that tracks his calorie intake when he mentioned he takes in 7,000 cals. You only get 30 seconds and you can't advertise all of the OS' capabilities, but the one capability they did show was a good start.
    Are you trying to hurt me?
    I thought it was a pretty good commercial. Already knowing the OS, I have an advantage and can pick out the "key-features" that is webOS. Probably too quick for average Joe Blow, but this is what, Day 2 now.... and I'm sure that aside from however many views people had last night, it's going to come in a faster rotation, there will probably be different ads aired as well, gaga/lebron/dre ...just what I could think of off the top of my head without searching.

Once there is more than one commercial being aired, they'd be foolish to leave it at just that... as good as it was, then buzz will happen.

Remember....Day 2. The ball is officially rolling, let's hope it hits some vertical action and catches some air.
    Due to the cancellation of the penny, I no longer give 2 about anything. I may however, give a nickel
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    It took us two years, but we finally got our first decent commercial!
    We finally have HP with its big advertising dollars. Bringing Manny Pacquiao on-board makes sense now. Now I see that little guys do pack a punch after all.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    Quote Originally Posted by GuyFromNam View Post
    Still, it's a messy punch line.
    Hahaha very funny he's a boxer right?
    HP200LX->Treo270->Treo600->Treo650->Treo680->Centro->iPhone3G->
    Treo680->TreoPro->iPhone3GS->PalmPre->HPPre2->HPVeer 2.2.3->HPPre3

Don't like it. Enough of these commercials that only people already familiar with the product fully understand what is going on.

When are we going to see a commercial with the narrator saying if you want to switch between live apps its as easy as a swipe in this gesture area here.

Make a series of short detailed commercials: This is how you do this on webos, show them exactly what you are talking about like you are showing off to your friend.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    Don't like it. Enough of these commercials that only people already familiar with the product fully understand what is going on.

When are we going to see a commercial with the narrator saying if you want to switch between live apps its as easy as a swipe in this gesture area here.

Make a series of short detailed commercials: This is how you do this on webos, show them exactly what you are talking about like you are showing off to your friend.
    Because that's boring. Tutorial videos should be on the HP website. Commercials are about branding.
    I essentially agree with Laingman. It's a nice promo, but if I'm not already a devotee, I'm not going to notice much about it. I suspect we are going to see all kinds of adds, some just to focus our attention, others to real in new buyers. This one will grab some attention, but without the follow-up, I doubt it sells many phones.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
    I essentially agree with Laingman. It's a nice promo, but if I'm not already a devotee, I'm not going to notice much about it. I suspect we are going to see all kinds of adds, some just to focus our attention, others to real in new buyers. This one will grab some attention, but without the follow-up, I doubt it sells many phones.
    Teaching someone how to use a phone they don't already own doesn't work. What this ad does, like the iPhone ads is show what you can do with the phone. If I'm a runner, I know that this phone has apps for me and is powerful.
    Quote Originally Posted by ieko View Post
    It took us two years, but we finally got our first decent commercial!
    Yes!!

It's about time!
    1 ghz Sprint Pre-
    They need to find a way to convey to the public that webos is better than what they have now. If they think a pretty girl or a boxer can convey that in a single little ad at the speed of light, good luck to them.
    So let's see, I'll read some stuff that I do with my smartphone, and in 30 secs, I would BREEZE through them as I go along.

"..2,000 sit-ups.." flip to exercise app..
    "..7,000 calorie intake.." flip to nutrition app..
    etc. etc.

Can other phones walk you through that at the same pace? I'm not that familiar with Android, but I'm sure iOS couldn't catch up (even if you pre-set up the apps).

AND LOOK MA, NO-LOOK (tm) TASK SWITCHING! @_@

Sure, the touchscreen image is simulated, but I can see myself going through that app list while doing a similar spiel. In fact, I can imagine copycat youtube videos happening soon..
    Last edited by Furuboru; 06/01/2011 at 10:18 AM.
    Global Posts
    75 Global Posts
    I love the ad. I hate the device because its not for me. I'm a 30 year old professional and I don't think I'm the target audience for the Veer anyways.

This phone is targeted for teens. They see the ad, parents see this ad. Somebody famous is in the ad. They like some of the cool features like swiping and gestures etc. and its tiny. Sold.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Furuboru View Post
    So let's see, I'll read some stuff that I do with my smartphone, and in 30 secs, I would BREEZE through them as I go along.

"..2,000 sit-ups.." flip to exercise app..
    "..7,000 calorie intake.." flip to nutrition app..
    etc. etc.

Can other phones walk you through that at the same pace? I'm not that familiar with Android, but I'm sure iOS couldn't catch up (even if you pre-set up the apps).

AND LOOK MA, NO-LOOK (tm) TASK SWITCHING! @_@
    Nope. Android couldn't do it for you and with iOS showing how their "multi tasking" works next to webOS would show iOS to be outdated.
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by donjt81 View Post
    I love the ad. I hate the device because its not for me. I'm a 30 year old professional and I don't think I'm the target audience for the Veer anyways.

This phone is targeted for teens. They see the ad, parents see this ad. Somebody famous is in the ad. They like some of the cool features like swiping and gestures etc. and its tiny. Sold.
    This is not a tweener phone. It's a phone for everyone, including professionals. Not everyone wants to carry a big phone and a tablet. When I get my TouchPad, I may not want my Pre 2 anymore if I'm always using the TouchPad.
    Quote Originally Posted by laingman View Post
    They need to find a way to convey to the public that webos is better than what they have now. If they think a pretty girl or a boxer can convey that in a single little ad at the speed of light, good luck to them.
    However the art of advertising involves more than just one commercial, this is just a start. At least the celebrity used ties into the identity of the phone (a powerful little man) and is not just a face for the sake of a face..

In advertising you advertise what you do have, not what you don't have. The phone is small and not for everyone, but the commercial conveys they idea that though small, the phone is not weak. This will cause some who may not have considered it to take a second look at it.

If this is the only commercial that would ever be produced I could understand the misgivings. But really, what do iPhone and Droid commercials do differently (or better) in the way of imparting information over imaging?
    "Sometimes I feel like an OS-less child..."
    (with apologies to Billie Holiday )
    That was a really well done commercial. Showed various aspects of the phone while making it look cool.
    I really liked this commercial!
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    I kinda agree. I mean, running and fitness apps are on every phone, and none are better than the iPhone ones (not to mention, they have the armband accessories to go with it).

They gotta step it up in talking about WebOS, which this commercial doesn't really do.
    They showed you webOS. They showed how much easier it is for him to switch between apps with the OS, they showed stacking, they showed the gesture bar, they showed the OS and they told you it's a powerful phone in a small package. What else would you like them to show?
    Global Posts
    344 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by MesBoogieBrown View Post
    Synergy? Just Type? The Touchstone? The magnetic connector? An exclusive app?

Just off the top of my head.
    This is one ad of a brand push. If you show too much in a commerical, consumers don't know what they're looking at. Apple's ads are always very simple and hit on specific themes they're pushing with their brand. What some people here want would be a terrible commerical. They need to show all the great things that webOS can do but they need to use multiple ads when they do it, which they're going to do.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast