1.    #1  
    EDIT: issue determined to be bad BT headphone reception.

In the past week, I've run into some problems with Pandora and 8Tracks (another streaming music app) on my Veer.

Even after a fresh reboot, even with no other cards open, the music skips constantly. The skipping and stuttering does not sound like a network problem, and the apps don't behave like they're waiting for data over the network. Rather, it "feels like" the Veer is bogging down, running some memory-intensive process, and the music is skipping as a result.

While this "skipping" is happening, if I try to open or interact with other apps, performance is very slow. Generating a log file while this is happening takes upwards of 3-4 minutes. Emails I try to send will fail to transmit.

Again, this happens even immediately following a restart.

Sometimes, the skipping will diminish if I keep the screen on. The music nearly always skips when the Veer is on standby.

Skipping does not occur when playing music or podcasts that are native on the device (not streaming) via DrPodder. (EDIT: Yes it does. See post #14 below.)

I'm listening via a pair of Rocketfish BT headphones. I don't believe the headphones are the problem, because they work just fine with audio stored in the USB partition (DrPodder saved podcasts). (EDIT: No longer the case - see #14)

This problem only cropped up in the past 10 days or so, and may be the result of an app I've installed recently. Is it possible a Twitter app checking for new mentions on a set schedule could be bogging the system down this badly? Carbon, NDrive beta 6, and Tenor Guitar Chords are the only apps I've downloaded recently.

I have already submitted multiple log files to HP regarding this (thanks to HardBeatZ for the info on how to do that).

Anyone else having this problem or one like it?

Veer: AT&T - all tests performed over HSPA (no WiFi). webOS 2.1.2. Preware installed, but no patches.
    Last edited by VCI_Cell; 06/02/2011 at 12:47 AM.
    I remember last year when the Pandora app had skipping problems after a webOS update. Pandora had to fix it on there end.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by netwrkr9 View Post
    I remember last year when the Pandora app had skipping problems after a webOS update. Pandora had to fix it on there end.
    My first thought was along these lines - I know the Pandora app (on every platform) has had some problems. But the problem happens in 8Tracks, as well, which leads me to believe it's a bigger issue.
    don't have a veer but two thoughts (mine works flawlessly on Pre+)

1. wifi- does it work fine
    2. pandora has a "use low bandwidth/high bandwith" under preferences - see what's set to and try opposite?
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by cyberprashant View Post
    don't have a veer but two thoughts (mine works flawlessly on Pre+)

1. wifi- does it work fine
    2. pandora has a "use low bandwidth/high bandwith" under preferences - see what's set to and try opposite?
    Thanks for the suggestion - "Higher Quality Audio" is set to off and has been. Didn't know that was there, though, so thanks.

Trying to replicate the problem over speakerphone now, via HSPA. Usually this issue doesn't appear until 2 or 3 tracks in. Will try with WiFi also, and reply again.
    I restarted my Pre2 the other day. Clean shutdown and boot. After that I had some synergy processes running at 80-90% for at least 5 to 10 minutes. I don't think (hope) this will happen after every boot.
    To test your problem I suggest wait 1/2 hour after reboot.
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by somline View Post
    I restarted my Pre2 the other day. Clean shutdown and boot. After that I had some synergy processes running at 80-90% for at least 5 to 10 minutes. I don't think (hope) this will happen after every boot.
    To test your problem I suggest wait 1/2 hour after reboot.
    Whoa! That's an intense amount of time for background tasks to be using up all the device's resources. Can you elaborate on what was being synced? Also, what does "80-90%" represent? Processing cycles being used? Finally, how did you obtain this information, a log file?

Too early to call, but I may have confirmed your findings. My last reboot was several hours ago. For the past 50 minutes, I've been running Pandora over HSPA, both over speakerphone and BT, and have experienced no skips whatsoever.

Could it be that a reboot is only effective after a half hour of up-time?
    Quote Originally Posted by VCI_Cell View Post
    Whoa! That's an intense amount of time for background tasks to be using up all the device's resources. Can you elaborate on what was being synced? Also, what does "80-90%" represent? Processing cycles being used? Finally, how did you obtain this information, a log file?

Too early to call, but I may have confirmed your findings. My last reboot was several hours ago. For the past 50 minutes, I've been running Pandora over HSPA, both over speakerphone and BT, and have experienced no skips whatsoever.

Could it be that a reboot is only effective after a half hour of up-time?
    I'm using commandline tool "top". 80% means the processor is running at 80-90% of the time.
    I saw processes connected to synergy like syncing contacts, calendar and mail. I had no problem with the phone before the reboot. Everything was synced.
    I never saw that before. So I think/hope this was just some kind of resync to everything which happens only sometimes.

EDIT: You can use govnah to see activity but not the %
  9.    #9  
    ^ Thanks for the details. One of these days I need to learn how to use the command line. I'll try a reboot tomorrow and see if I can replicate the Pandora problem then ... I'm going into hour 2 of testing and can't replicate the problem I've been consistently running into for a week.
    ^ Thanks for the details. One of these days I need to learn how to use the command line. I'll try a reboot tomorrow and see if I can replicate the Pandora problem then ... I'm going into hour 2 of testing and can't replicate the problem I've been consistently running into for a week.
    Look at the graphic of the processor in Govnah. You can install govnah without risk without an hombrew kernel.
    It works with the standard kernel. Meaning no over clocking
    Does the skipping only occur when you're using the Bluetooth headset or does it also happen with a regular wired headset?
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I had the same problem yesterday, but with Tunein Radio. The stream would skip every 5 seconds or so. But the skipping did not happen when I streamed a podcast using Dr. Podder.
    Weird. I've used Pandora every day on my Veer (admittedly for less than 2 hours at a time... but I've never had anything more than the standard interruption every once in a while and I have highest quality set in my prefs. Sorry VCI...
  14.    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    Does the skipping only occur when you're using the Bluetooth headset or does it also happen with a regular wired headset?
    Don't have a compatible wired headset to test this with - will try to flesh that out soon.

Quote Originally Posted by brdl04 View Post
    I had the same problem yesterday, but with Tunein Radio. The stream would skip every 5 seconds or so. But the skipping did not happen when I streamed a podcast using Dr. Podder.
    It didn't for me either ... until last night. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by rootdude View Post
    Weird. I've used Pandora every day on my Veer (admittedly for less than 2 hours at a time... but I've never had anything more than the standard interruption every once in a while and I have highest quality set in my prefs. Sorry VCI...
    No worries, man - thanks for the input! We're gonna get to the bottom of this.

News: The issue now happens even with content hosted locally on the device (not streamed from the network). This happened so badly last night with DrPodder that it was literally unusable. The skipping got so bad that words were distorted beyond recognition.

Some observations:

• It seems to happen most/worst immediately after putting the device into standby. Could this be a function of the clock speed going down to ~150MHz and the app not compensating?
    • It doesn't happen as much during late-night listening, which leads me to believe notification traffic (heavier during the day) has something to do with it. However, I can not demonstrate a definitive relationship between notifications and this bug.
    • When this bug happens, other bugs on the device usually crop up (scrolling failures in apps, sluggish response).
    • Govnah graphic information is inconsistent - sometimes it shows heavy loading on the system when this is happening, and sometimes it doesn't.
    • I have not yet replicated this problem on speakerphone. I'd really appreciate it if someone with a wired headset or speakerphone listening could try to replicate.

Generally: This bug makes the device feel like a Pre- running ten cards at once, after a week of up-time. It's really harming the user experience.

I'm sending all the log files I can.
    I have seen some occasional slowdowns, but nothing like what is happening to you. I'll be on the lookout for it.
  16.    #16  
    News: This issue might be related to BT reception everyone ... Might not be a webOS problem at all. Will add more when I confirm!
    webOS user since 20090606.
    News: This issue might be related to BT reception everyone ... Might not be a webOS problem at all. Will add more when I confirm!
    That is why I asked if it happened with a wired headset. The problem you described is generally what happens when a BT headset is dying or on the brink of being out of range.
  18.    #18  
    Quote Originally Posted by barkerja View Post
    That is why I asked if it happened with a wired headset. The problem you described is generally what happens when a BT headset is dying or on the brink of being out of range.
    You're right. I've been using BT earpieces for about 5 years, but this is my first Bluetooth stereo headset. The interference sounds different with this stereo set than any interference I ever got on a mono earpiece.

If I'd had a set of earbuds that worked with the Veer adapter (the iPhone's headset doesn't), I could have ruled this out on day one.

Short story: if you're using a BT headset, make sure you know which side of your head the BT antenna is on, and don't carry your Veer in the opposite pocket. That's what was causing this issue.

I can't explain the related bugginess of the software during the malfunction periods.

Case (mostly) closed. Thanks to everyone for your input!