Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    phonearena.com asks: What is the perfect smartphone display size for you?

less than 3% of the 3000+ poll respondents chose a screen smaller than 3.5"

does this bode unkindly for the veer's success?

link to source: What is the perfect smartphone display size for you? - Phone Arena
    Global Posts
    877 Global Posts
    I would say no. Phonearena and most tech blogs for that matter are heavy geek type users who love phones. They are the ones looking for the fastest and biggest. They want the "quad-core" phone with unicorn blood backed display.

The avg buyer goes with trends. Not tech blogs.
    I'll bet 100% of those 3,000 hadn't seen or tried the Veer. If you gave that poll to Veer owners, it would be the exact opposite results.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cantaffordit View Post
    I'll bet 100% of those 3,000 hadn't seen or tried the Veer. If you gave that poll to Veer owners, it would be the exact opposite results.
    Of course. People tend to overwhelmingly support what they've just invested in, regardless. Its human nature.
    Global Posts
    30 Global Posts
    I have to say my pixi's screen is fine for 90% of wht I need it for day to day and I am willing to make the trade off for pocketability. I carried a motoQ9c for a while (comparable to iphone size) and just got tired of a slab in my pocket. Love the keyboard too. When I find myself wanting a bigger screen I just fire up my free 5gb of tethering goodness and pull out one of the laptops that is always with me.
    I think it's pretty obvious the majority of smartphone users will want the bigger screen.
    But, this is because what the majority use their smartphone for.

Will what we expect from our phones change as we become more dependant on our Tablet?
    Will more and more of us start toting a tablet, and if so, will we find ourselves returning to a smaller phone?

Will dumbphone users be more inclined to get a tablet and a nice phone to compliment their tablet?

Perhaps this is the reasoning of HP.

Right now, I would guess the poll will be an overwhelming favor to larger screens.
    Quote Originally Posted by finngirl View Post
    Of course. People tend to overwhelmingly support what they've just invested in, regardless. Its human nature.
    but those with pixi or veer will tell you they LIKE the screen size. If the veer was too small, they'd return it.... But they likethe size. I know I'd be tempted.
    Pre Plus size was ok at first then I wanted bigger screen. And I am using iPhone 4 and it was ok at first but my next one will definately bigger size. I thought Samsung Infuse 4.5 inch screen was ridiculous size until I play with it at AT&T store. It wasn't that big but I think for my comfort, I am aiming at 4 to 4.2 inches for my next upgrade. My upgrade is coming up end of this year, I am hoping to see some nice WP7 or iPhone for upgrade next time.
    I'm still standing by the Pre's 3.1-inch. Tried the Veer today at an AT&T store, and I think it's kinda small.

I'll have to see if 3.5-in on the Pre 3 is for me when it comes out, although I'm not too sure, since I didn't like the Desire's size. The Pre 3 basically is approximately same footprint as the Desire, did a comparison on sizeasy, though it is a bit more rounded off and thicker.
    Palm IIIc -> Sony CLIÉ T650C -> Sony TJ-37 -> Palm TX -> Palm Centro -> Palm Pre Bell -> Palm Pre Plus Bell/Verizon Hybrid -> HP Veer -> HP Pre 3 NA -> BlackBerry Classic -> BlackBerry Priv

It's a Late Goodbye, such a Late Goodbye.

Need OEM Palm Pre parts? See here
    Ive thought about this a good deal since I got the Veer. I thought the small screen size was going to bother me coming from the Pre. But here's the thing: there are just as many pixels in the width dimension on the Veer as there are on the Pre, 320. That's the primary factor that influences the screen usability in my mind. Yeah, those pixels are 10% smaller, but that just makes them appear a bit sharper.

The only time I miss the extra height of the Pre screen is when I look at an app that has banner ads in it, such as The Weather Channel app. The banners take up too much room, and in the TWC app, there's hardly enough room to see the actual content. So yeah, there are times when you miss the extra 80 pixels. But I have seriously missed a whole lot less than I thought I would.

And I have enjoyed the easy pocketability a lot more than I thought I would. I would really have a difficult time using something bigger after this. It kind of reminds me of my old Samsung A900 that I had a long time ago. The Veer is just about that size, heck, maybe even smaller. I loved how easy it was to slip that in a pocket. The Veer is the same way. You always have the power with you wherever you go because it is absolutely no burden to carry it (unless you're going sans pocket, that is).
    Palm III-->Handspring Visor-->Sony Clie PEG-NR70-->no PDA -->Palm Treo 755p-->Palm Pre-->HP Veer
    I think the better question is, "what is the perfect smartphone size for you?". I really like Pre's size. It fits nicely in my pocket and I can go jogging with it by putting it in a clip-on waist pouch; no big phone stuck to the side of my arm like most other people! That said, 3.1" on Pre is display is fine with me since the entire phone's size is rather compact. Since Pre has the same res as IP3GS, I wasn't missing anything on the screen when compared to an IP (IP4 did change the game however). If they can manage to up the screen size and keep the phone the same size by say shaving a few millimeters off the bezel and gestures, great. I just don't want a phone as big as iphone, or ridiculously giant like Evo or the new Infuse.
    what you should do is make a poll in this thread and see what people on this site have to say.
    IDK, it all boils down to how the phone feels in your hand. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I found out the Pre 3 had a different aspect ratio than the Pre. Would have preferred 3.6 @ the same ratio of the old phones. But, as I said before, gonna reserve judgement till I hold a Pre 3 in my hand.

-- Sent from my Palm Pre using Forums
    What I don't get is why the Pre 3 screen size set at:

3.58-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color, 480x800 resolution WVGA display.

is not considered significant compared to iPhone and Android devices. Heck the Pre 2 is set at:

3.1-inch multitouch screen with a vibrant 24-bit color, 320x480 resolution HVGA display

Isn't the iPhone 4 using the same screen size or similar? Or is it because the Pixels Per Inch are smaller on both IOS and Android devices? I personally see the Pre 3 as a great screen size and upgrade and I'm excited about the opportunity. Thanks, Sorli...
    Quote Originally Posted by sinime View Post
    IDK, it all boils down to how the phone feels in your hand. I have to admit, I was a little disappointed when I found out the Pre 3 had a different aspect ratio than the Pre. Would have preferred 3.6 @ the same ratio of the old phones. But, as I said before, gonna reserve judgement till I hold a Pre 3 in my hand.

I don't get why this is a problem, can you help out the idiots like myself when it comes to screen resolution and how this change will effect things in the future? Thanks, Sorli...
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    It boils down to apps. Some WebOS apps were not built to run nicely on the Pixi sized screen. Here is a quick test. Open up a pdf in pdfview and search for some text that occurs more than once in the document. Can you select the next found, or is that obstructed with the document name/status hovering above the "next/forward" buttons?
    Palm III -> Treo 90 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> Pixi -> Sprint FrankenPixi+ -> Blackberry Bold 9930
    Quote Originally Posted by libray View Post
    It boils down to apps. Some WebOS apps were not built to run nicely on the Pixi sized screen. Here is a quick test. Open up a pdf in pdfview and search for some text that occurs more than once in the document. Can you select the next found, or is that obstructed with the document name/status hovering above the "next/forward" buttons?
    Uh... since the PDF viewer is pretty fubar I think you might want to find another test. Much of the time mine just crashes with a PDF Viewer encountered an error message... <sigh>.
    Devices like the Veer and Pixi are not designed around gaming for people that don't need anything more than quick data and get the benefit of carrying a big device as a benefit for that. That is what the Pre line is for
    Try diplomacy first. You can always conquer them later...

www.webos-internals.org, read it, use it, love it, and donate to it.....
    Quote Originally Posted by stung View Post
    what you should do is make a poll in this thread and see what people on this site have to say.
    We can do that.
    However; I don't think present PlC members are the userbase HP is targeting right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by berdinkerdickle View Post
    We can do that.
    However; I don't think present PlC members are the userbase HP is targeting right now.
    Whether or not HP is targeting PC members isn't even the reason for putting up the poll. My job isn't to sell for HP. Just put it up for curiosity's sake as a way to compare against a similar poll given to a more general population.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast